Archinect
anchor

importing and exporting models between, rhino, maya, and 3ds max design

mark lower

are there any side-effects? if so what are they? what the best way to go about it? what to avoid? or share any other experiences you may have.

thanks.

Oct 18, 10 7:20 pm
prairie school drop out

side effects, like a headache?

i think iges or fbx (motion builder) are pretty consistent for going between rhino and maya, only the global axes are different in the two programs (i think in maya, y is default for up, while in rhino it's z, so you would likely want to change that unless you want everything to import sideways).

i don't remember which of these allows you to convert the meshes to nurbs in maya and then maintain the model in a usefully editable way (ie not meshes) in rhino. you can always use the meshtonurbs command in rhino, though it's a bit messy converting meshes to nurbs and can yield a very heavy file and you'd probably have to rebuild all your surfaces.

now that i think about it, one works best in the rhino-->maya direction, and the other works best in the maya-->rhino direction. there's one other file format that i think is good, but i'm forgetting what it's called (it's been a few years!) obj, i think?

whenever i import stuff into max from rhino, i do so as a dwg. i haven't ever gone the other way, though. i'm not sure if it would be necessary to go between maya and max, so i don't know there, i've never done it

Oct 19, 10 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
badalian

NPower Translator
http://www.npowersoftware.com/

Oct 21, 10 5:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: