Archinect
anchor

Dell M4500 or Toshiba W510

cowgill

Do any of you have experience with either the Dell M4500 or the Toshiba W510? I'm asking my company for a work laptop and would appreciate any input regarding these machines as I'm looking for as much performance (with CAD certified hardware) as one can get in a laptop that isn't the size of a sheet of plywood. 15.4" seem to be the limit where laptop performance to size is maximized while still having all the features/power of a larger laptop or desktop workstation. I hear a lot of raves about the Toshiba but the Dell is as equipped with Dell workstation on-site service included which, IMO, tilts things in its favor.

machine will be configured as follows:
i7-720QM Processor
8gb ram
QuadroFX-880
320gb hd
1920x1080 LCD

thoughts.... input...? I'll be pulling the trigger today so any advice is appreciated. Prost!

Oct 8, 10 7:19 am
job job

Most laptops of that caliber will run cad software just fine. It makes me wonder just how fast is everyone hitting their keys, or how many gigabyte raster images are being copy/pasted. I remember laptops back in grad school would smoke when it had maya, photoshop, illustrator, rhino, midget port open but that's hardly the case now with current processors and graphic cards.

If you travel, get the lighter one with good keyboard snap, and watch out for an adaptor that is the size of a brick.

Oct 8, 10 8:08 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

true... but I loathe the idea of not having the right tool when the time comes to get something done quickly and if it gets me out of the office faster, then it's worth every penny.

I'm more concerned with build quality and durability. In reviews, the lenovo always has mention of "rock solid," "reliable," and "durable" while the dell is described as being somewhat "flimsy"... which is why I would appreciate input from someone who has used one of these machines.

Oct 8, 10 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: