Archinect
anchor

Converting from RGB to CMYK colorspace?

Token AE

Hello all,

I am in the process of applying to M.Arch I programs (Arch. Engineering background) and am now of intermediate skill in photoshop.

In my early days of graphic design I made the mistake of not starting out in CMYK for some of my work- unfortunately for me, one of my favorites is included in this cateogry.

Is anyone aware of an effective way to get these RGB files to a print media with reasonably accurate color conversion? I would be willing to pay a print shop a little extra to get the CMYK file just right, if anyone knows of one that does such things.

Thanks again!

Sep 24, 10 12:52 am
Distant Unicorn

Send me the file. I'll do it for free.

Sep 24, 10 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I mean, if it is one or two images.

Sep 24, 10 12:54 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

email sent- thanks!

Sep 24, 10 1:03 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Done and done! You're not going to get the color matching on that to be amazing. However, I got pretty much dead on-- the blues are kind of out of the color gamut (exceed what standard CMYK can provide).

Your blacks and pinks, however, are rockin'. Your black lines should all more or less now be 95%-100% black with 1-5% other colors.

The problem with brilliant bright blue in CMYK is that it is a combination of magenta and cyan. Meaning, if you really want to push your blues out... you'll sacrifice your purples and pinks.

I printed it and it looks pretty good for cheap paper on draft mode.

Sep 24, 10 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

Understood. It's a shame I didn't know that when I made it two years ago, but hey, lesson learned.

Thanks again for your (extremely prompt) help- it is truly appreciated.

Sep 24, 10 1:44 am  · 
 · 
aspect

is there any tricks to convert rgb to cmyk besides using photoshop? i always have the same problem that cmyk does not match probably with rgb using photoshop...

also, does the printer nowadays can only print rgb up to A3 size? anything larger has to be cmyk?

thanks

Sep 24, 10 9:09 am  · 
 · 
aspect

cjw> i use rgb to work on my project since 90% of the works are view at the web, i believe one of these days, rbg can replace cmyk for large printing.

Sep 24, 10 9:11 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I don't convert to the very end, right before printing.

Get the profile for the printer you have, or ask your printing company for their profile (for their printer), they should have that available.

In PS you can tile the view and preview the conversion - rgb next to cmyk. This allows you to adjust to match, as good as possible (Vibrancy, Saturation, etc.).

I also, often times, if the sky is very important, convert the PSD and adjust the sky layer separately. As UG notes, blues/skies are where cmyk really sucks (you can get pretty close, usually, with the above methods).

If you want to work with your printer, ask for a meeting and proofs before they run them. They should be accommodating (assuming you are printing enough).

Sep 24, 10 9:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: