Archinect
anchor

Revit 2010 question

Question....I use Revit 2009 at work....but to do a little work from home, I have downloaded the free 30 day Revit 2010. But I cant seem to figure out how to save down to 2009 so I can open up at work. School me.
Thanks!

Sep 1, 10 4:50 pm
Purpurina

Use the same version is the best bet.

Sep 1, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
postal

there is no save down.

revit can't/won't do that, it's adding to much functionality and information in each edition.

saving it down would mean stripping the model of certain pieces of information.

Sep 1, 10 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
postal

there is no save down.

revit can't/won't do that, it's adding to much functionality and information in each edition.

Sep 1, 10 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

ughh...I really dislike Revit!

Sep 1, 10 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
postal

...just read your post again... consider yerself schooled.

Taliesin, convince your employer to pony up to 2011 with the subscription. everybody's doin it. don't you want to be cool?

Sep 1, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

I'd rather be efficient and profitable and have quality graphics.....instead...we use Revit...

Sep 1, 10 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

Efficient, profitable and high quality graphics all sound like Revit to me.

Sep 2, 10 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

An etch a sketch provides better graphics....

Sep 2, 10 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

SIX THOUSAND DOLLAR APPLICATION is not backwards compatible?

It now makes even more sense that offices are asking for 15 year professional Revit experience from their candidates.

Sep 2, 10 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

OK OK OK - Im sure you all have worked with Acad.....

Ever notice that it crashes more then your blind cousin driving an 18 wheeler in rush hour traffic on Labor day weekend? Yeaaaaaaah, thats in part to do with being able to save down to previous versions. Amounst other B/S that has been added on since 1980. Personally Id rather not have my program crash every other command and lose my work.

If you think etch-a-sketch provides better graphics by all means...use it and post ur results here. We would love to see your rendering.

Been using Revit for a little over 3 years now and I think I may have crashed revit 4 or 5 times....and I didnt even lose any work. There is a steep learning curve I will admit that...but once you get the hang of it, which shouldnt take longer then a mth of constant use. You should be at least 5 times more efficient then you were in Acad. About now - I am 10 times more efficient then I am with Acad.

You dont like the graphics then try some other BIM product. BIM -IS- the future of building design/construction. You are stupid if you dont jump on the BIM band wagon.

Revit isnt even 15 years old, brah! 1997-8
Autodesk bought it in 2002
It likely that a mere 10% of revit users have 10years experience....and I bet they arent even architects.

Sep 3, 10 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

AutoCad is an unacceptably buggy application. I agree that BIM is the future of architectural production. No question.

Not having any level of backwards compatibility speaks volumes of poor product implementation. New features should be anticipated well in advance. If an older version can't access a set of features, so be it. At least you can open the file to some degree.

There are plenty of professional software suits that have at least some level of legacy support. It's a dickish move by a company that enjoys a near monopoly level of industry penetration. Bah.

15 year thing I mentioned was a joke. Asking for even 5 years of professional Revit experience is a tall order, as you could count the number of companies that used Revit to its full potential back then on one hand.

Sep 3, 10 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
CrazyHouseCat

Revit (BIM) rocks! Those (not few) who knows how, can produce beautify graphic in Revit. And let's not even go into efficiency.

I have trained two dozen revit "newbies" this year. after 6 months, all concluded: CAD is so stone age....

Sep 3, 10 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Yeah, It sucks you cant save down. Trust me I know...I gotta get my engineers to get 2011 so I can work with them.

If you had the opportunity to make money, you telling me you wouldn't go for it? I wouldnt call it a dickish move...more like smart business.

Sep 3, 10 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

Someone who is actually good at Revit will be able to provide great looking graphics and even betterr looking graphics than AutoCAD IMO. I have used CAD for over 7 years and Revit for 3... At this point, I find my Revit plots to have better line quality and flat out look better (especially with the ability to use shadows, colors, etc...).

As for not being able to save down to a previous version I understand your frustration. But, I also think it could be a good thing for the industry. This could force the principals and engineers to actually upgrade to the latest and greatest tools. Sure, with auto cad you are able to save back and open earlier versions but have you ever opened an auto cad 2011 file in R14? Exactly. The new versions of Revit are more and more stable and have enormous amounts of added/rebuilt features that would probably make the older versions crash even more than they did.

Suck it up and move forward instead if staying in place. After all, would you specify an older version of a window type? "I would like to revert this window back to single pane and true mullions. Let's throw some asbestos tiles in because I haven't bought the new spec book since the 60's."

Sep 5, 10 9:19 am  · 
 · 
outed

revit (the program) is great.

autodesk (aka satan incarnate) is not.

i do understand why it doesn't go backwards compatible - it's a database and it's hard to do that.

problem i have with autodesk is the draconian grip they are getting over the particular industry 'space' (ie bim). for those of you who don't deal directly with them on the sales side, there's a reason they love the idea it's not backwards compatible: they can keep you on the subscription plan, for all your licenses, indefinitely. if you stray, you get hammered with ridiculous and bogus charges. their "customer service" is abysmal. having had to work with these guys, all i can offer is that they see revit like a dealer sees crack - we're all just junkies they want to get hooked as quickly and as deeply as possible. after that, they can slack off the r+d, keep upping the yearly subscription fees (when they started out, the 'turnover cost', meaning the amount you paid each year relative to getting a new license, was roughly 1:8. it was a 5,000 program; the yearly subscription cost was 600. now the subscription is up to 750/year/seat, which is 1:6.6. once they up it to 900, who's going to be able to protest?) and they'll have made it the defacto program every governmental client requires - you'll have to keep it. you'll get less, pay more, and learn to live with it.

end of rant. (anyone tell i hate autodesk?)

Sep 5, 10 10:55 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Acadd allowed for an architect to be autonomous.
Revit does not allow you to be independent in anyway.

IPD is the way of the future, but though it is being marketed as the way of the future, we can count how many projects have actually been done this way with one hand. GC's are beating Architects at doing IPD projects and in the process are trying to corner that future market, and eventually most architects will work for GC's if this keeps up.

I don't have to tell any well read Architect that our profession is very secretive, even Architecture Colleges are very secretive about their teaching methods. This history of being secretive in building goes way back before the Pyramids were perfected. In our time there are many reasons to still continue this trend of secretiveness, due to Legal, Social, and Political reasons. Now after thousands of years some architects and lawyers want to force Architects and GC's, Engineers, supporting consultants, to all get along and share everything using the method of IPD (integrated project delivery).

Revit, is being marketed as the vehicle to accomplish IPD. Its funny how people say they are using BIM and IPD interchangeably. They are totally different.

Do you guys see what lies ahead for Architects?(the ones that survive this great depression anyway) its a brave new world ladies and gents.

Sep 6, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

ps. I am an expert in using Revit and Acadd on many projects.

Sep 6, 10 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

What do you mean by, "Revit does not allow you to be independent in anyway."?

I dont think anyone was talking about IPD in this thread.....

Sep 7, 10 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Just found out my office..(9th largest Arch/urban planning firm in the world) is pushing AutoCad 2009...and reducing the amount of work done on Revit. Will use Revit in schematics, but AutoCad for production. Firm is not happy with Revits capabilities in regard to CD's..espectailly detailing. A minor blow to the "future of design / construction"?

Sep 8, 10 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

What exactly is not working out when you guys use revit?
But oh yea I'd answer your question about what I mean if you guys hire me kind of like the last office I worked at I thought them what I knew not all of it though then they let me go so moral of the story is I won't teach for free

Sep 9, 10 1:39 am  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Misspelled taught

Sep 9, 10 1:56 am  · 
 · 
'Maximus

there is no save down.

revit can't won't do that, it's adding to much functionality and information in each edition.

Sep 9, 10 4:22 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

a dude here in the studio.....just spent 16 hours.....modeling a freaking louvered door....and he's been using revit for over 2 years...Thats why!

Sep 9, 10 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Sounds to me like your boss needs to hire me teliesin

Sep 9, 10 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

And me!

Taliesin... 16 hours on a louver? He does NOT know Revit well, then. Even the most complex of families have taken me 3 - 4 hours to create and I have been using Revit for only a year longer than him. I, too, work at a very large firm who is attempted to switch completely to Revit. You bring up an interesting point that comes up in all of our BIM meetings. Training... And proper use of Revit. Even if he used Revit for 2 years, the fact that he took that long to make one family shows me, and any other good revit user, that he does not know Revit well at all. tell him to brush up on his family creation by watching my videos...

Jeff
-www.TheRevitKid.com

Sep 9, 10 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

The combination of our lack of training..(I have worked here for almost 2 years now, and have pretty much learned everything I know about Revit..which obviously is crap) and the firm's decision to dumb Revit down so that we have generic wall types, etc...is frustrating the hell out of me.

I said that the graphics here are worse than that of an etch a sketch...but I realize that is because of our firms decision to dumb Revit down so badly, that work such as sections and elevations have to be masked out and redrawn just to look presentable.

AND, we really arent 'modeling" because of these dumb downs...AND we are not expection our consultants to work in Revit...so its all just kind of pissing in the wind, as far as I am concerned.

Sep 9, 10 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Why would you spend any time modeling a louvered door? If I was the project manager on this one, I'd be doing a lot of finger wagging right now.

The louver/door manufacturer wants simple information from you: dimensions, louver profile (standard v. custom), performance criteria, and finishes. Most of this information will be covered in door schedule and specs. Your crappy cross sectional details will be good for a quick laugh, and not much else.

On a slightly related note, it only took me five minutes to create MY family. Yeah!

Sep 9, 10 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

Taliesin ... That seems to be a typical problem and one of the resons people "hate revit". They convert because it is e new trend but treat the software as CAd.... Epic fail if you thinkg rev it is cad.

I would be very interested to know what firm you work for. Shoot me an email at [email protected] . I want to know the model of louver door your coworker was modeling. It would be am interesting video for me to create the same door and see how fast it can be done.

Jeff
www.TheRevitKid.com

Sep 9, 10 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Dikor

First of all,
Revit is not a drawing tool,not a simple CAD...it's a modeling program.
Second, BIM= Building Information Model , You either build a model and extract information, or build the model using imformation , or both.
Third, Working for 2 years now on BIM using ADT and Revit in large and medium scale projects, i believe it's hard at the start to get used for the concept of modelling and producing drawings from a model, but when u are quite sure that your drawings are all giving the right imformation, and the trades are all in synergy together, u know this effort had a good result, so it's better for your firm to re-check training courses and work-flow syestem of your projects by revit, cuz they r losing good advantages.
Fianally,i once read in a mag and i believe it's true, that u model with a scale of 1:50...what's more detailing should be done on sheet by annotation detail, or through schedules and specs as stated above.

Sep 9, 10 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Another dumb question,

What is/is there a way to extrapolate a 3D model from Revit for use in Rhino? I can export certain sheets/views, but the 3d view - which contains the exact information I need - is simply a 2D drawing.
I am assuming, that like everything, a Revit model is only as good as what the modeller has modelled.

Oct 10, 10 3:08 am  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Why would you want to export from Reviyt to Rhino? Is this for renderings? The whole idea, is to create, modify, and render from Revit. This is how connectivity from the rendered model is maintained with what is being designed, and revised. It really saves a lot of time, and you never loses anything in the interpretation. I used to work at one office, where I would occasionaly have to export to Rhino or Max. By the time they got the Rhino version and set it up for rendering, the Revit model becomes revised numerous times, and the Rhino version is once again behind the 8 ball.

Oct 10, 10 11:19 am  · 
 · 
dia

Because I have an urgent job, and I have no idea how to use Revit. The work I need to do is for presentation purposes - construction sequencing - so I dont need any of the connectivity.

Oct 10, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

DiaBase

Got it -

Oct 10, 10 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

dia,

how about this?

revit to rhino

Oct 10, 10 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

have same problem with 3d studio max, employer is using older version and won't upgrade anytime soon, so I have to downgrade to to lower version on my home pc...

Oct 10, 10 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Thanks all,

I ended up exporting DWG sections and floor plans from model to create a 3D wireframe in Rhino. I don't have the greatest computer at the moment, so it was great watching Revit crash 9 times in 1.5 hours.

Oct 10, 10 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
harold

I've just heard from a insider that Autodesk is working on backward compatibility. Plus there working on a Vault like system for Revit, which is huge.

Oct 11, 10 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: