Archinect
anchor

Chairs under $250

I am looking for approximately 20 chairs to serve our new conference room tables. We have a budget of around $250 a chair.

Originally we had the Emeco Recycled Chairs on order from DWR but they are on back order now because of the huge response. (And the boss sat in one a few weeks ago while traveling and wasn't impressed...) Ordering chairs online without having sat in one is not appealing but we have limited access to showrooms and decent retailers.

Comfortable and stylish suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Aug 27, 10 4:56 pm
Rusty!

I take it your firm doesn't have an interiors department, because if it did, you'd already be sitting in 75% discounted chairs.

Ordering chairs online is the worst way to go about it for an architect. Retailers know that any architecture office is an extension to their showroom. For a $5k chair purchase, I strongly recommend doing a drive to a location that may have some showrooms where you can use your professional status to bring down the price of your favorite butt support!

Aug 27, 10 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks, steel. A road trip could be in the cards but for now I'm digging around to see what turns up. I received a call that our conference tables (bases) are finished and will be delivered on Monday morning. So for the time being we'll have to two nice conference tables with no chairs (the 3/4" chocolate bamboo tops are a week out).

Aug 27, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

What exactly does one need in order to get a "designer discount"? I seriously need a new desk chair (since my current one is a stool I "borrowed" from undergrad) and would occasionally like something with a back... and arms... and a cushion.

I totally love the Knoll Chadwick but don't think I have $750ish to drop on a desk chair.

Aug 27, 10 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

You may not get a designer discount for a desk chair, but if you are fitting out a conference room that will be frequented by rich clients that spend millions on construction and fitouts, then you may have a strong chance. Not all brands will be available thought...

I'm inclined to ask an interior designer to chime in, but as we all know, those people are typically illiterate :)

Aug 27, 10 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I was hoping I could pull a "If my client likes this one I will be back to purchase more" although I guess that could easily backfire.

Guess I will be living with the stool for a while longer.

Aug 27, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Generally, you need a tax id number for the discount

Aug 27, 10 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Macpod

definitely more writing. Text always make a page look more sophisticated. I would also be more selective about the renderings and photoshop the good ones.

also. put some descriptive text in the index.

TEXT TEXT TEXT. no one reads it but it looks good.

Look at some design magazines and see how their spread works.

Aug 28, 10 3:57 am  · 
 · 
Macpod

oops. replied in the wrong thread

Aug 28, 10 3:57 am  · 
 · 
outed

ether -

we got these from humanscale about 3 years ago, for right at 250 apiece including shipping. we had one seat crack (the plastic underneath) and one call had them out replacing it at no cost the next day. lifetime warranty.

list is roughly 980. we got them at 20% of that.

Aug 28, 10 9:45 am  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

donovanlord.com or roomandboard.com or dwr.com are all good places.

if you want something inexpensive, hire an interior designer.

Aug 29, 10 2:19 am  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

donovanlord.com or roomandboard.com or dwr.com are all good places.

Aug 29, 10 2:19 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

more like if you want something inexpensive, go to staples.

Aug 29, 10 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
binary

get LEED credits with d.i.y. plywood chairs

Aug 29, 10 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
ether

thanks outed. although i'm not sure how you purchased them for $250 when list after 20% is still around $700!

here's our list to date:

Aug 30, 10 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong
Rusty!

Why get a bunch of dumb chairs when you can get a vagina couch instead.

Aug 30, 10 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

OMG That's disgusting

Aug 30, 10 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: