Archinect
anchor

JOB outlook in TEXAS

GoodEye

Hello all,

I am a new member here.

I will graduate with my Masters in Architecture May 2011. Is there anyone here who works in Texas and knows what kinds of opportunities I should expect? I go to school here and would like to find a job in this state.

I understand that the economic situation is not good but I have found claims that all of the big cities in Texas have the best economies compared to the rest of the U.S. I wonder if this is true for the market of architecture in places like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin.

I suppose I am a bit nervous on finding a decent job when I get out and hoping Texas will be a good spot to find one. However, I won't limit myself to this state...i just prefer it here.

Aug 24, 10 1:57 am
creativity expert

Any place is better than Chicago,

Aug 24, 10 2:23 am  · 
 · 
emersonbiggins

Dallas is not good right now, architecture/design unemployment is in the 35-45% range as of 2 months ago. The largest firms laid off well over half their peak workforce, and the layoffs cut through all levels. I have my M.Arch and 4 years experience, and I've had four interviews & no offers in the last eight months. Graduate placement for B.Arch/M.Arch holders from UT/A&M is in the sub-5% range for the last two years.

Not good. Better than elsewhere? There's a scary thought.

Aug 24, 10 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

It's a difficult situation indeed. I currently work for the largest firm in Houston (revenue) and we are still apparently having company wide layoffs come September 1 (yeah...ugh).

I got my job almost a year and a half ago after finishing my MArch. It took me 6 months of searching,and I got it through a connection and started only as part-time. I managed to secure a full-time position after about 3 months. Since then, our office has added people very conservatively. Our office focuses on education projects (K-High Ed) and Healthcare.

I know other firms are not adding to their employee base unless it is necessary. The reality is that many organizations are holding onto the cash they have. Healthcare systems are investing in facility upgrades, but aren't necessarily building new facilities.

We just submitted a proposal out in the middle of nowhere in Texas and all the big guns we at the pre-proposal meeting. The project is only $10,000,000.

Its tough. We shall see. Good luck.

I have friends having more fun working several "fun" jobs to pay bills rather than worrying about not finding a job in this profession. I don't know what to tell you. If you can't find a job immediately, take the time to develop an amazing portfolio that demonstrates how buildings are put together. At this point, unless you are able to find a design position, you need to be able to demonstrate an understanding of how things go together. Typically, offices already have their creative team well in place-so being able to show value will rest in your ability to communicate that you know how to put things together.

If it were me, I'd focus that way. REVIT, REVIT, REVIT.

Aug 24, 10 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Yeah, except the offices that want/need REVIT skills usually demand that you have proven project experience with it. I have seen job ads that specifically request a minimum number of documented of projects with REVIT and would not except anything less.

All I know is that Texas firms keep poaching the New Mexico work, which has left the largest offices in Albuquerque to do Mattress Firms and Reroofing gigs. That says to me that things in the lonestar state are pretty bad.

Aug 24, 10 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I thought TX is still realitively healthy

You can work on stimulating and challenging projects like this one:

[img]
]http://jetsongreen.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c67ce53ef0120a6b9b512970b-800wi[/img]

George W Bush presidential library and "freedom institute" think tank/policy institution for the perpetuation of the great man's thoughts on the future our mighty empire ;-P

Aug 24, 10 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
outed

cherith - the simple reason employers are asking for that is that clients are asking for it. too many firms, unfortunately, held themselves out as being able to run projects with it (and had no business doing so) and clients, quite frankly, don't want to be guinea pigs with something like that. hence, there's a big push all over to find people with actual, documented project experience.

back to texas: i'll advise this - texas is the top state adding jobs (of any stripe) right now. that's a good thing in the long run. some of the major cities may not be booming yet, but the underlying fundamentals are better than most places. meaning, if there is some recovery, it's likely to come there sooner.

stay away from cali, ny, georgia - those are your bottom three in terms of job losses. georgia, in particular (since i live here) is so screwed up/upside down that it seems like the recovery really is on a decade long pace. housing is screwed, new commercial is screwed. the only guys i know who are doing well are killing the hip new restaurant angle. seems like there are plenty of those to go around...

Aug 24, 10 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
whyARCH?

Job outlook anywhere....NOT GOOD.

Aug 24, 10 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
GoodEye

I love architecture but I wonder if I should apply in other fields of design. Has anyone tried to look for jobs related to furniture design, product design, etc?

Aug 24, 10 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Texas is the best of the worst so far as big states go. North Dakota is doing well also but the "good" isn't in the Architecture realm. Looking for a service job in retail? - TX is probably a good bet.

The GC's I work with in TX are really hungry and the AHJ's aren't always pleased to see an out of state Architect. All the developers I knew in Dallas and Houston are either out of business or skeleton crews. My clients are self developing or doing remodel/addition work. But hey, at least TX stayed out of the housing bubble.

I love architecture but I wonder if I should apply in other fields of design.

Good luck. Plenty of other "designers" are also out of work. I've found it really hard to even get an interview outside of traditional architecture. The few I've got didn't come to anything because my education and professional experience showed me as a flight risk once the economy improved. One HR manager at a major corp said I would've been hired pre-recession in a heartbeat, but today they know people like us are looking for any job we can get and not necessarily going after the jobs we "want." Even having a current job - at reduced pay - wasn't enough to convince this person.

Aug 24, 10 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
raj

do the work with all of your professors and find out from them who they would recommend you to. in all markets ESP. bad ones it is about WHO you know!!

my first jobs (in tx) were because of a friend of a family friend...the second, a professor gave me a contact.

intern if you can even if it means delaying slightly your graduation! it gives you cheap experience.

good luck.

Aug 25, 10 9:17 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Very good point raj. A friend of mine at A&M interned a ton while in school and then was able to get a full-time job at the same office when he finished...and they started him at about 50k because of his experience...granted he is also a very talented guy and offered a lot, but that experience was what allowed him to start with a higher salary without having to wait a few years...its a good point.

Aug 25, 10 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: