Archinect
anchor

Animal-shaped cities

ess

From an article this morning on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/08/21/sudan.animal.shaped.cities/index.html?hpt=T2

In my view, Sudan should be attending to more pressing matters (namely genocide in its Western Darfur), but I'm trying to put that aside in consideration of this idea.

Besides a comical view from the sky, what would be the advantage of living in, say, Rhino-ville? Also, how would a denizen on the ground even be aware of the identity of the city -- especially if it only exists in its contours. Lastly, what if the city grows? Then what happens?

Aug 21, 10 8:11 am
Rusty!

A giraffe may not be the most functional shape for a city, but it would still beat Brasilia's layout.

CNN's comment section is downright depressing at times.

Aug 21, 10 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Sudan is a fast-growing economy due to oil wealth. Check Khartoum, new Dubaisque projects everywhere. And Juba will be the capital of the more-than-probably independent (by 2011) Southern Sudan

This project just screams Dubai. Instead of palm-shaped islands, we do rhinos. Dunno what's more stupid.

Interesting that cities are now designed taking into consideration how they look on Google Earth.

Aug 21, 10 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
olaf design ninja

giraffe fur have voranoi pattern - use pattern more interesting city

Aug 21, 10 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Directly under the tail, located the architect's office.
This is a perfect "why the fuck not?" moment.......

Aug 21, 10 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

not even worth commenting on - but worth posting a comment saying that it is not worth commenting on.

Aug 21, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I came in to say I'm not commenting on barry's comment. Not worth it.

Aug 21, 10 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

aww c'mon guyz... when zaha does it, you call it avant-garde?

i think rhinoceroville is okay.

Aug 21, 10 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Also very encouraging that CNN is calling that site plan drawing a blue-print. Not even a "blueprint", a "blue-print". Way to go, guys.

Aug 22, 10 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

I have seen one few years ago shaped like a goldfish. Honestly this type of "masterplans" mess up my stomach.

If they want to copy something at least try to copy some crop circles, for a more interesting and intelligent geometry.

Aug 22, 10 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

umm... did they say at all WHY they think having cities that resemble animals is a good idea? Tourism? Religious symbolism? Pure kitsch?

Aug 23, 10 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I guess we do do animal-shaped buildings

Aug 23, 10 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Tourism (and a little kitsch) a la Dubai.

Building purely for tourism's sake usually fails more often than it succeeds though.

The area historically was quite a successful and prosperous locale but it reeks of a "post-conflict 'white' flight." As in, relocating much of the entire original city and displaced people around Southern Sudan to a new location without necessarily fixing the problems that lead to conflict in question.

Whether or not a change of venue-- for lack of better words-- would solve the problems is entirely vague and theoretical. To look on the bright side, it could feasibly work.

The area is the terminating point of the White Nile-- the point at where ship travel becomes impossible. So, it does have access to water and transportation.

Amusingly enough, the proposed animals shapes are of animals that have become recently or historically extinct in the area.

As for the proposed zoning and city grid... well, almost all road networks and parceling in the world is arbitrary and 'organic' in nature. Or they have intention but the intention is either purely economic (cheapest or quickest routes) or political (preservation, segregation).

Few if any city grids are built with a purer intention to geography or social considerations.

That being said, the irregularity and abstraction of the road grid here would provide some interesting possibilities for placemaking.

Aug 23, 10 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
micmic

Well it is very unique and creative..

__
uren hud

Aug 24, 10 3:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: