Archinect
anchor

Job Dilemma...thoughts?

franklin

I have a little bit of a dilemma. I applied for and accepted a term position (a year with the possibility of extending the position 3 more years) in a city that I don’t currently live in. I was also interviewing a local firm in my current city that was honest with me in stating that they didn’t have any available positions but that they were evaluating their situation. A few days after I accepted the other job the local one offered me a position. I think the first job is the one that would like the most, however if I renege and take the second job it would work out better financially. I have a mortgage in my current city for a condo that I can’t sell or legally rent out, and if I proceed with my first offer than I would have to either let it foreclose or struggle to pay the mortgage and rent in my new city. I knew before accepting this job that I would have to do that, but at the time I didn’t have any offers and it was worth it to get this experience. However…now that I may not HAVE to move it may make more sense to take this second offer and stay put until I can get rid of the financial responsibility of this condo.

I’m torn… I’m really excited about the first job, but I don’t particularly want to move to this city long term which is why I thought this job would be perfect because it is temporary and could help me develop my management and leadership skills in this profession. However I really like my current city and wouldn’t even have considered moving had I not been laid off. The local firm is a good office. The people are really nice and I think I would enjoy it-however the job wouldn't be as challenging and I would likely be doing a lot of what I've done in the past-at least at first. I don’t want to take back my word but I don’t know if it’s wise to follow through with this move.It’s a hard decision and I’m not sure which route I should take…thoughts?

Aug 18, 10 11:10 pm
future hope

That's a tough decision. I think you should keep in mind that employers are thinking about the needs of their company when they hire and lay off employees. You need to think about what is best for you when making this decision... I would feel terrible backing out of a job like that, but I think you should still consider it.

Aug 18, 10 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
dia

So you are prepared to foreclose on your house to move to a city that you dont for a job that you think that you will like?

Or, stay put, keep the house and get more money.

I'd have to go for option 2.

Aug 19, 10 12:11 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

I agree with the above. it's a though situation but you have to do what's best for you. I would keep the local job. I'm sure the 1st job will have no problem finding another person, with all these hungry architects out here.

Aug 19, 10 8:03 am  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

If you have nice neighbors who will not make a big fuss- try to find somebody to sub-lease your condo to ... even if it is illegal, it is better than ruining you credit history and loosing your place... or "swap" your condo with somebody from the city your job offer is in ... only if the first job offer is really as good as you think it is...

Aug 19, 10 8:19 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

franklin, forget about all the realities and practicalities, ask yourself one question and the answer will lead to the right decision. Which opportunity will make you happy?

Aug 19, 10 8:42 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

a contemporary moral dilemma - continue to pay on a house that is underwater or intentionally allow it to go into foreclosure? remember that if you do allow the condo to go into foreclosure, your credit is going to be dinged for the next seven years - so don't expect to be able to buy another home anytime soon or have access to any other sort of credit. it may also make renting harder if credit checks are required. if the condo is only $10,000-20,000 underwater, i would look into a short sale. if it's $50,000+, "strategic foreclosure" may be a better option, but still a difficult moral decision.

i find the job dilemma less of an issue. you make your own opportunity whatever situation you decide to take. i would be more worried about your financial situation and ultimately answering the question of where you want to be in 10 years? twenty years? i think your finances are more tied to the answer to that question than your current job situation. good luck.

Aug 19, 10 9:01 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

franklin -- I applaud the fact that you view this as a moral dilemma ... that's somewhat refreshing in this day and age. Now, having said that, I think you should accept the position in your home town - the economic impact on you of losing your home is too horrible to contemplate.

However, I strongly advise that you make a full and forthright explanation to the out-of-town firm when you tell them that you are not coming to their office. Be complete and honest, but not overly apologetic. Indicate that you know this will be an inconvenience for them. If you can, perhaps you can refer some qualified candidates for their consideration.

If they are professional, they will understand and probably will be remarkable forgiving. If they are ugly about it, then you probably won't have missed anything much by not joining their firm.

I've done a lot of our firm's hiring over the years. Sometimes bad things happen deep into the process -- even after a job offer has been issued and accepted. My reaction to the reversal always depends totally on how the candidate handles the situation. If the candidate is professional and doesn't hand me a load of crap, I can deal with it and move on.

Aug 19, 10 9:13 am  · 
 · 
franklin

Thanks for the feedback. I've been struggling with multiple sides of the issue-the financial side (stay and pay!), the career 'advancement' side (there are specific reasons why I want to go to this non-local firm-which is a federal job by the way), and the repercussions of reneging on this job and wondering if it will follow me when I apply to other federal jobs in the future.

Aug 19, 10 11:37 am  · 
 · 
med.

Why can't you sell it and why can't you rent it out???

This is confusing

Aug 19, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

HOA restrictions, med.

Some condos, co-ops and even subdivisions makes people sign contracts that they can be sued or have their property even confiscated for violating the agreement.

Many of these HOAs do this to prevent real estate speculation and to keep those people (renters) out of their buildings-- because obviously a person renting a condo for $1000+ cannot be trusted to act responsibly.

Aug 19, 10 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
franklin

exactly Unicorn ...the fine for being caught renting illegally is $1000 a DAY. Its not just the HOAs that implement this restrictions-FHA also has such stipulations when backing loans in condo buildings...

Aug 19, 10 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Bah..... I had a feeling it was some stupid bullshit like that....

Rules and laws can be so fucking stupid.

Aug 19, 10 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

You have mentioned temporary position? I wouldn't do it. This is your call, but during a crisis like this, you never know with who you are going to end up working or get the boot, etc.

I would pass the out of town chance politely, living the door open for a future consideration and pursue the one locally, especially in your case with a mortgage and a creepy HOA contract. I would get rid of this properly and then move on if necessary. This is a safer side opinion.

Aug 19, 10 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

My only suggestion is to see if your the new company would be willing to buy out (or pay a month or two) of your mortgage and try to sell.

Unless... that is, you bought one of those condos in those crystal towers no one wants or can afford.

Aug 19, 10 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Has the out-of-town employer seen you yet?

If not, perhaps you can sell that position to a desperate architect. For a 15% cut of course. Heck, I'd gladly take a 15% pay cut for the privilege of being called Mr. Franklin. Is there a Mrs. Franklin in the picture as well?

Aug 19, 10 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: