Archinect
anchor

Office in China?

Headband

Searching for well-known practices that have offices in China. Steven Holl does, Foster does, but anyone else? Thanks.

Aug 11, 10 11:34 am
Hugoistique12

KPF

Aug 11, 10 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

You must know chinese

Aug 11, 10 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
orion

RMJM, RTKL, GENSLER, GMP...

most large international firms have offices somewhere in China. There are also a lot of small but interesting firms here both local and international. try www.world-architects.com or archiscape.com

There are also lots of German and Australian firms here.

Smaller (thats relative) but more recognized names like Foster, Piano, etc usually don't have an office. For a foreign firm to build in China they must by law partner with a local design institute/ firm with a China "A" license. So if the design work can be completed over seas and relayed to the local architect there isn't always a need for an office here.

and @zen maker, you don't need to know Chinese to work in China. It certainly helps though. I would say the hardest part is getting here. Most employers are hesitant hiring someone who's never worked here/ doesn't know the culture, the language etc. However, once you are here its very easy to bounce around if you will. As with most employers they want someone who is committed and won't be leave after a few months because they decided that China isn't for them after all.

Aug 12, 10 12:09 am  · 
 · 

OMA, SOM, mad, mada spam, graft, a shitton more....
alot of work here...
I'm currently here working at a smaller American firm that has an office in Beijing. Didn't know any Chinese when I came over and didn't know anything about Chinese culture... After talking to all the principals, they are desperate for American and European trained interns and young architects... Unfortunately, as much as they want these designers, they are unwilling to pay western salaries or provide similar benefits... This may be different at some of the larger more international firms. Its a very fast paced place design wise... I've been here 3 months and have been on at least 5 multi million dollar projects that in the States would take years to do, but here were done in a matter of weeks....

Aug 12, 10 4:31 am  · 
 · 

everyone. and if they don't, they will.

Aug 12, 10 4:34 am  · 
 · 
moeamaya

peedy: Your still in school though, right? Has that made it easier or harder to work there?

Aug 12, 10 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah I'm still in grad school. I have about 3 years of work experience before this though. I mean, psychologically its easier because I have a preset start and end date for the period I am here. There are other people here though that made the move permanently and have been working for a couple years and sometimes I can tell that it is grating on them. There are alot of frustrating things about living in a different country/ culture, and language is seriously not one of the major issues I've had. My firm has been very good to me and have set me up with flights, apartment, and a stipend (not much by any stretch of the imagination but its enough to survive). It would probably be different in every situation and no two people would have the same experience... Its still an adventure and resume padder though.

Aug 13, 10 12:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: