Archinect
anchor

What does ASI/PR stand for?

Larchinect

In contract administration phase site changes are issued with sheet numbers beginning with either PR-## or ASI-##.

We don't know what the letters stand for and what the difference is??

Any help..

Aug 10, 10 1:31 pm
postal

architects supplemental information
-shouldn't change price, like a missing dimension

proposal request
-changes price, like oh crap the client just told us they need a jacuzzi

those are my guesses. we don't really follow that protocol

Aug 10, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Postal,

That sounds pretty believeable and makes sense for what we've done/are doing. Was that really just a guess?

Aug 10, 10 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Architect Supplemental Instruction - additional instructions from the architect that would clarify issues that the contractor can not get from the drawings. It usually is not enough for a change order or contract change.

and yes postal is pretty much right.....

Aug 10, 10 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
postal

no, not really just a guess. a very educated guess.

ASI is definately architects supplemental information. and his ugly brother is always something that the owner never wants to see.

there are probably some other rules about it that someone else can speak up to. i was hoping to get other people to chip in a solidify things for you.

Aug 10, 10 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
andmylegsarelong

I'm more familiar with RFI (Request for Information) and RFP (Request for Proposal) which seem to be the same things. RFIs are just as poop876 stated. They should never be used for pricing or change order only to clarify the construction documents and to answer questions from the contractor. An RFP would be issued to get preliminary pricing from the contractor on work that will affect the agreed contract sum either by credit or debit caused by an owner or architect change. That proposal should be reviewed by the architect and the owner for proper pricing, overhead and profit. Then an official change order altering the amount of the contact sum would be issued after the owner agrees to the amounts and changes.

Aug 11, 10 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

we also use RFI's, which we get from the contractor, which we then issue responses in the form of ASI's or PR's through the prime consultant.

I've personally only seen RFQ's and RFP's advertised for consultants at project inception, ie requests to propose on a future project with their own nuances.

Aug 11, 10 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I think it is kind of funny -- not in a your wrong way but overall comparing differences-- how vague or changing these terms are.

On the other side of the fence, the process usually goes:

Request for Information
|
Request for Proposal
|
Request for Quotation (I've also seen RFQ stand for Request for Qualification-- I'm assuming it is to present a schedule/timeline show what you will do with a summary of how you will do it).
|
Request for Change (times a billion)
|
Request for Information
|
Request for Tender

I always thought the RFP/Q/I/C/T thing was mildly confusing because it is specific from one party to another. From an outsider, it is hard to determine who's doing what.

Aug 11, 10 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
txdomino

An RFQ (request for qualifications) happens before an architect is selected. A potential client puts out an RFQ searching for an architect, basically they're asking for the architectural firm's resume. Usually they ask for examples of past projects and/or examples specifically pertaining to the type of building they are building, bios, references, budgets of past projects, references, etc. The potential client then chooses which architect firm they want to go with.

An RFP (request for proposal) is basically the same thing, although they are specifically looking for a design response, pricing and scheduling of a building project. Then the architectural firm would be selected by the client.

An RFI (request for information) is totally different thing. It happens during the construction process. This is where the contractor submits an RFI to the architect or engineer asking for clarification on something in the drawings or specifications. The architect or engineer will submit a response in writing, or issue an ASI.

A Change Request is a change in the design (or a change in materials), while construction is going on, that will affect the pricing and/or scheduling of the project. Once the project is drawn, priced and under construction any significant changes at this point my hinder the progress and budget of the project. This is why a change request is submitted so that the parties involved, especially the client, knows the ramifications of a change in the design.

I'm not sure what a Request for Tender is. From what I read, it sounds like an opportunity for suppliers to offer their bid of their supplies and services for a project.

Apr 8, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 
davidterry

txdomino pretty much nailed it.

Never seen RFQ, but he's surely correct. The RFQ would be to check you aren't a fail company (might be only arch, or maybe struct/mech/gc/etc,. as well). The RFP is what each trade sees so they can have their principles or whatnot do a quick design for bidding purposes. The RFT will be the fabricators version of the RFP/RFQ. These all are used to narrow down the field of available subcontractors to the final subcontractor well before any ground is broken.

An RFI is always used to request additional information than that which was provided in the specs and drawings. These often do not result in any price changes, like a missing dim, but may result in large changes that will be turned into an ASI. The Arch always lets us (struct) know what ASI number and date to use.

I haven't see a "Change Request" specifically, but that sounds exactly like an RFI.

Jun 8, 16 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
jeffchittenden

ASI - Architectural Supplementary Instruction

PR - Proposal Request

CPR - Change Proposal Request

Jan 12, 18 10:04 am  · 
 · 
aayushiverma

Great Blog. Thanks for sharing such a piece of valuable information, I want more about

General Contractor in New Braunfels

Mar 8, 19 2:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: