Archinect
anchor

Designing for the Tropics

Md-S

We are working on a residence for a client relocating to West Africa.
Client insists on a traditional wood framed construction.

I am very skeptical about the suitability of this construction type for the climate- average temperatures are over 110F and humidity is over 85%. Earlier in my career, I worked in West Africa and the most effective solutions combined materials with a heavy thermal mass(heat sink) as well as adequate ventilation and shading strategies.

We are considering elevating the living spaces above ground to improve ventilation, Wood framed walls with some breathable screen systems, Extensive shading, porous interior partitions...

This is mainly uncharted territory. I would welcome any ideas, comments or crits.

Thanks

Aug 5, 10 3:46 pm
achensch

you would like looking through some prouve work. probably some more sophisticated technical solutions out there, but, prouve

Aug 5, 10 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

There's quite some info about designing for the tropics in the barefoot architect by Johan van Lengen

Aug 6, 10 9:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: