Archinect
anchor

Vectorworks? Is it worth it?

b-money

So, I am about 15 days into a vectorworks 2010 trial and I am debating purchasing the program in a week or two. It seems fairly intuitive so far, although a bit clunky as well. I am not sure if this is due to operator errors or if it is an inherent problem with the software. Currently I am testing it out on a master plan, so its BIM capabilities are more than meet my needs, but I am wondering how it will fare as I move into SD / DD / CD phases. I am a new sole practitioner with a fair amount of experience managing teams working on a Revit platform, but this is my first pass at doing the majority of modeling on my own. So, obviously there is a fairly steep learning curve. Anyone out there have any advice? My main goals are to incorporate BIM into my practice, to get the drawings and output to read clearly and elegantly, and to work from a mac-based platform. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 2, 10 11:01 pm
holz.box

do you plan on working in the EU? then maybe. if not, you're more than likely not going to want vectorworks. if you are looking the BIM route, there is a lot more support for revit than VW.

i know a few mac users transitioning to PCs for BIM.

Aug 2, 10 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

read the vectorworks vs revit threads on the vectorworks community forum site

many of the people have extensive revit experience

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php

especially, these threads

Re: Vectorworks Architect 2010 Vs. Revit Architecture
Re: Starting out, Vectorworks advice please
Re: Vectorworks v Revit

Aug 2, 10 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

Before committing to VW try out ArchiCAD - I found it much more intuitive and powerful, though it costs significantly more.

Aug 3, 10 1:15 am  · 
 · 
copper_top

I would also say that if your intention is to branch into industrial design or if your facades have custom metalwork with complex geometries that are difficult to describe through standard means, then Vectorworks may be your program. Otherwise it's probably a bit overkill.

Aug 3, 10 1:47 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i don't love it, but i picked it up in less than a week. it is a strange almagamation of illustrator and revit. it's bim functions are crude compared to revit, although it can build simple bim models. all details should be drawn separately. for the cost, it's a pretty good platform, and relatively compatible with autocad (with import and export features, that is). it works fine for all phases of drawings, and is easy to make beautiful drawings in actually, if that's your thing. my biggest beef with it is the clunkyness of the bim portion of the program. it runs great on the mac, but like most "advanced" drafting programs, the automatic snaps and such are annoying and slow down the act of drafting itself, especially for an autocad veteran. revit does this as well, but more than makes up for it in it's advanced bim features. my thought is vectorworks more belongs to the lone wolf architect who won't require as much coordination with others and wants a low-cost bim feature, a decent 2d drafting platform for the money, and prefers to design on the mac. if you're set on the mac then i think it's worth looking at, and agree that archicad for mac would be good to look into as well, but i haven't used archicad in almost a decade and i'm sure it's changed a lot since i learned it.

Aug 3, 10 1:50 am  · 
 · 
urbanDC

Vectorworks is like drafting using an etch-o-sketch. Really strange program, though le bossman is correct, you can pick it up quick.

Aug 3, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i am doing a little bit of freelance work right now but it is getting more consistent

a couple of months ago i was seriously considering vectorworks as a primary drafting/bim tool

the forum links above convinced me to wait until i have enough work/money that i can afford revit, though after reading them, i think there are instances where you may choose to go with vectorworks

in the meantime, i am using rhino --- in case you haven't used it, my feeling is that it is like having the full version of autocad + sketchup in one for $800 (novedge) --- and if you are familiar with traditional autocad, you'll pick it up in a snap --- there is always the visual arq plug-in, too, which gives you some dedicated architecture modeling tools similar to what you get in autodesk architecture, though they are not bim

Aug 3, 10 9:05 am  · 
 · 
dallasarchitect

I've worked with Vectorworks before after Autocad for about 6 months until I discovered ArchiCAD like 7 years ago.

ArchiCAD is a much better program plus it's much better for BIM as well. You can still do regular 2D Drafting in it.

Try ArchiCAD - they offer a free trial.

Aug 3, 10 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

does the new version of rhino do line weights? the lack thereof was why 3.0 was an inferior drafter.

Aug 3, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

rhino 4.0 lets you assign line weights to layers and it prints line weights but you do not see the line weight reflected in the viewport or the layout tab ---

Aug 3, 10 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
blah

You can make BEAUTIFUL drawings quickly in Vectorworks Architect. I use 2009 and it cost like $1200.

it's a tool and gets the job done. It's not much of a BIM tool yet but 2010 is getting there. I see it as a good 2-d drafting tool.

Aug 3, 10 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Aug 3, 10 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

make, do you have any experience with rhino? if so, i'd be curious to know your comparative assessment of the two.

also, when i considered vectorworks, i was very pleasantly surprised by its solid and spline modeling tools. again, in comparison to a dedicated modeler like rhino or the newer versions of autocad, how do they compare?

lastly, after reading the vector works threads i listed above (vw users with extensive revit experience as well), my impression was that vw is great for small to mid-sized buildings where bim is not critical. but for large institutional or corporate work where bim is required, it is not quite there. this sounds like it aligns with your assessment.

Aug 3, 10 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hey make, is there a vw2010 book out yet?

Aug 3, 10 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Rhino is the future. 3-d in Vectorworks is painful. I have done it but it's clunky at best.

Bossman, I am self-taught. I'd love to see the book though. I am sure that there's a lot of things I don't know about. I cannot afford any upgrades these days.

All of the BIM parts in the USA will be Revit. There might be dwg and then Sketchup will round out the product availability. I really think Sketchup is fun and the 3d warehouse made building parts free and easy to get where before they were sold to you on a cd from the manufacturer. REvit is still doing the latter. My projects don't really benefit from REvit in its present form.

Aug 3, 10 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Oh and those are 11x17 formatted sheet.

Aug 3, 10 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

they are beautiful drawings

Aug 3, 10 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

rhino is *not* an ideal drafting-great for modeling and pulling 2d drawings off of a model but it's ridiculous to straight draft with it.

VW is great for small offices

Aug 4, 10 12:17 am  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

i must say, i've customized my rhino interface --- basically all of the most necessary commands are popup menu accessible in one palette --- and now i can absolutely fly when drafting or modeling in rhino

i can model or draft as fast as someone can talk (when in design meetings) and probably a little faster when just in the zone by myself --- I was that fast in CAD, too, but it is a bit of a different approach with rhino than with CAD --- b/c in AutoCAD, quickness came for me from knowing all of the short-cut keys and not using icons and menus --- in rhino, there are so many commands, the short-cuts are not necessarily as short (though you can make some that short if you want) and without access to icons, i find that i miss out on a lot of its functionality --- so it has been about optimizing my access to icons instead

Aug 4, 10 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

There are a lot of Landscape Architects and Planners going over to Vectorwerks. There is at least one rep whom actively participates in discussions at www.land8lounge.com and a number of discussions going about VW.

Revit doesnt seem like a very good solution for LA's.

The funny thing is, Ive noticed. is that Autodesk no longer seems to recognize Landscape Architecture as a profession.

Go sign up for trial software and you'll see that 'interior design' is listed, but not "Landscape'...incredible.

Aug 4, 10 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Original Poster--

The VW rep name is Eric Gilbey, by the way.

If you sign become a member on Land8Lounge I think you may be eligible for a discount.

Aug 4, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
b-money

Thanks everyone for the sage advice. I am thinking that I am going to let the VW trial run its course, then hop over to Archicad for a free trial as well. Like all things in life, it seems that the best way to make an informed decision is to get your hands dirty....

Aug 4, 10 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
A Wright

I find vectorworks runs well on both PC and MAC's.It's flexible, versatile, intuitive, and affordable CAD and BIM solutions.

Aug 9, 10 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
A Wright

I find vectorworks runs well on both PC and MAC's.It's flexible, versatile, intuitive, and affordable CAD and BIM solutions.

Aug 9, 10 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

I absolutely hate vectorworks until I had to use it day in and day out. It is refreshing, as it plays well with others (sketchup, autocad, whatever) and I find that to be more useful than it's teetering BIM - which is good but I find it better to draw in 2d anyway. For a start up I can't see anything better in the sub $1500 price range worse when the comparisons are programmes that are 5x and 7x the cost.

Aug 9, 10 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: