Archinect
anchor

Landscape Architecture vs Architecture

ben34

I studied architecture for a few months before dropping out (many reasons) and have spent a few years working in entry level jobs. I have been thinking of returning to school to study landscape architecture instead. I used to work at a botanic garden and it made me more interested in the outdoors.

Do landscape architects tend to work better hours than architects? In Australia the undergraduate degree is only 4 years and no masters is required. Is the schooling just as intensive? Do they have a better work/life balance or is it about the same?

Jul 27, 10 9:55 pm

Hi Ben,

LA hours are the same as architects - it all depends on the type of office you choose to work in & how busy they are.

Landscape schooling is is just as intensive (in the US). Instead of memorizing 20-gazillion gothic cathedrals that all look alike, you have to learn your plants (and many of them look alike).

Work-life balance is about the same. But most LA folks I know manage to spend more time outdoors (since that is why they became 'scapers). You'll also find more dog owners among 'scapers.

LA is a smaller profession (which has is pluses and minuses) then architecture. I'll try to answer other questions you may have. There are also several other threads on archinect that explore this topic.

Good luck.

Jul 28, 10 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I think the reasons you allude to for leaving architecture are poor reasons to pursue a career in landscape architecture from my very humble and limited experience.

LA's work long hours behind comuter screens just like archs. I don't get to go outside much, nor do I get to play with plants or dig in the dirt.

Working in Landscape Architecture has also made me more interested in the outdoors, but only because I'm chained to this desk 5 days/week.

Jul 28, 10 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
ben34

When I first started studying architecture I was 17 and lived 90 minutes away from campus. I had no money and my parents have no money. I also had a few health related problems at the time.

I feel as if I am suited to the career (I enjoyed and excelled in art/design, geography, maths) but feel as if I need to sacrifice absolutely everything in my life in order to do it. I have interests outside of the field including playing music and filmmaking. I also want to enjoy university life.

Another thing which interests me about LA here is a large number (nearly 25% I think) are self-employed and most of the work is in residential.

Jul 29, 10 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: