Soho Beach House, Miami
COMPLETION - October 2010
SCOPE BRIEF -
- Gut renovation of The Sovereign Hotel (c. 1941), a 7-Storey Art Deco Hotel on the National Register of Projected Buildings, with 17-storey tower addition at beach-facing lot rear.
- Existing 51,000SF built square footage was increased by 31,000SF to a proposed and approved 82,000SF total conditioned square footage upon completion.
- All existing interior partitions & MEP infrastructure removed and building stripped to concrete frame.
- Complete restoration of front facing Art Deco façade, grand entry stairway & curved cobblestone driveway to historic configuration.
- Replacement of glazing on all façades to bring the existing 70-yr old building envelope into compliance with current Building Code, inc. Hurricane Code.
- Foundations & structural frame were re-configured & reinforced to accommodate new elevator cores & roof top pool deck.
- Complete re-configuration of existing roof deck to provide spa pool, bar & sun deck
- Selective removal of interior floor areas of existing building in order to meet Zoning FAR mandates, to balance accommodation of added square footage from new tower addition.
- The resultant double-height spaces served as principal entry spaces to the spa, and high-end double height hotel suites.
- Rear façade saw cut, and 2 complete 7-storey bays were removed, to provide key-in for new 17-storey tower, facing the beach front.
- Main kitchen enlarged to provide required capacity for principal restaurant, Cecconi’s
- Advanced electrically operated retractable canopy (34’W x 68’ ) over existing courtyard for new restaurant, Cecconi’s.
- Additional kitchen added on 7th floor of existing building to serve rooftop pool deck & hotel rooms.
- Extensive upgrade of existing water, sewer & electrical service, inc. minor re-configuration of Federal Dept. of Transportation-controlled road, Collins Avenue (US-1).
- Completely new extended ground floor pool & terraced garden, with new boardwalk connection.
Location: Miami Beach, FL, US
My Role: Project Manager / Team Lead
Additional Credits: Douglas Wood & Assoc. (STRUCT)
Vidal & Assoc. (MEP/FP)
Raymond Jungles (LANDSCAPE)
Back to Top ↑Back to Project List...