Thong Thai is a licensed architect in Vietnam. He came to the United States in 2008. He started pursuing his master degree in Architectural Studies at the University of Missouri – Columbia in 2010.
Before coming to the United States, he has five years of work experience in architectural design in his home country, and has contributed his experience broadly in several fields including urban planning, architecture, and interior design. In the first two years of his career life (2003-2005), he worked as an architect and a design team leader at GIA Architect. In December 2005, he moved to Kien A Corporation and worked as an architectural project manager. In 2006, to continue in professional practice, he and his friends established A.I Group Architect. At this company, he was a head of ten-member design team leading processes from schematic design through construction documentation. He said ” Sketching a new concept attracts me the most. However, I always try to go deeper in detail. I feel confident in my modeling and rendering skills that help me presenting my ideas effectively. I have been continuing to improve my design abilities to be a strong design thinker who never stops searching for new ideas.“
During the time at the University of Missouri – Columbia, Thong’s work focuses on Research + Design. He has conducted a deep research project in Formal Aesthetics and Rain Architecture. Then he applied the knowledge into his design, particularly for a Buddhist Library Design in Vietnam. Thong Thai completed his master degree in Architectural Studies at the university in May 2013.
Currently, Thong is focusing on sustainable design. He gained the first level of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design professional credential, LEED Green Associate. Now he is pursuing a next level of LEED Accredited Professionals.
University of Missouri - Columbia, Columbia, MO, US, Freelance Architect - Research Assistant
• Designed independent projects
• Reviewed and evaluated architectural concepts for AnTay Corp.
• Managed detail development online of AnTay HQ, a business villas project, for AnTay Corp.
• Designed and managed the Vietnam Institute 's website (vietnam.missouri.edu)
A.I Group Architect, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Founder and Chief Architect
• Established a ten-employee design office
• Developed and maintained good client relationships
• Designed and presented architectural concepts, such as Angela Hotel & Resort (9 hectares), Ocean Star Hotel renovation (10,000 square meters), KNBS resort (5 hectares), PNJ Silver jewelry stores system (30 stores)
• Managed entirely design process from schematic design through construction documentation.
Kien A Corporation, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Architect - Project manager
• Contributed in design programming for Cai lai Town (152 hectares), Kien Thinh Residences (56 hectares), and City 20 (300 hectares)
• Cooperated with foreign design partners such as CPG Consultants (Singapore), Codinachs Architect (Spain)
• Managed design processes of South Cantho Commercial Town, and City 20 in phases of urban master plans 1/2000 and 1/500
• Supervised construction phase of South Cantho Commercial Town (50 townhouse blocks), Kien A 's Eastern property projects, and Kien A's head office 2008
GIA architect, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, Architect
• Designed architectural concepts and presentations of residential and tourism projects such as Lai Thieu villa (1000 square meters), Thao Dien villa (1000 square meters), Blue Hill & Beach resort (30 hectares)
• Developed architectural details
• Visited construction sites
Archetype Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City, VN, Assistant Architect
• Assisted in conceptual development
• Conducted construction documents and drawings
Phuong Nam Corporation (PNJ), Ho Chi Minh City, VN, Graphic designer (part time)
• Designed Phuong Nam book shop exhibition at Hue Festival and greeting card exhibitions in Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh City
• Managed and designed greeting cards (200 prototypes)
University of Missouri - Columbia, Columbia, MO, US, Masters, Architectural Studies
Emphasis in Environment and Behavior Studies
Thesis: "Exploration of Formal Aesthetics in Extreme Rainfall Conditions: Design of a Buddhist Library in Vietnam", advisor: Dr. Newton D’souza
Ho Chi Minh City Architecture University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, BArch, Architecture
Thesis:" Cua Dai Familial Resort, Hoi An”
Le Quy Don High School, Danang, Vietnam, High School, Emphasis in physis
"Project for starting career" contest, 1st Place
organized by The Saigon Times Magazine, and sponsored by General Engineering and Japanese Embassy