In 1920 a family in Sonoma County who owned a wood framed cabin on 35 acres in the woods started housing and caring for people addicted to alcohol. Today the facility is one of 12 rehabilitation centers nationwide.
The program for this sustainable renovation and addition included doubling the patient capacity and adding a proper staff wing separate from patients while also adding a grand meeting lecture hall, cafeteria, and gymnasium. The lecture hall would be open to the local community as well.
The original structure had solid "bones" but the cladding, fenestration, and interior had fallen into disrepair; not to mention the entire staff and patient population was outgrowing the capacity of the original floor plan.
The design called a "cabin in the woods" creates an outdoor living room or courtyard with new structures broken down in scale with the original building. To take advantage of the natural terrain the new addition wraps around and down the hill to the north, preserving existing views among the tall pine forest.
Several sustainable strategies are employed including rain water catchment and grey water filtering, green roofs, recycled wood framing and cladding, fly ash concrete, solar panels, green machine waste treatment, natural lighting and cross ventilation.