In 2008, after 30 years in retail lumber and 11 years in design build, I have decided to change careers to focus on architect. I enrolled in Andrews University, Berrien Springs Michigan and received a Masters in Architecture degree (summa cum laude) in only 4-1/2 years and earned the AIA’s Henry Adams certificate of merit for being the second-highest ranking student in my graduating class. Our urban design studio class received the 2012 CNU Charter Award, Grand Prize, in the academic division for outstanding urban design.
Since graduation I have earned my LEED Green Associate certificate and am working for ADL Architects in Berrien Springs, which specializes in hotels and church projects—currently I am working on hotels for LaQuinta, Fairview, and an independent and a SDA school in Niles, Michigan. I have also started my own design company, 21st Century Design (www.ms21stcenturydesign.com), and I’m enjoying incorporating green/sustainable features in all of my home designs.
ADL Architecture, Berrien Springs, MI, US, Intern Architect
Drafting, construction documents, and 3D modeling for clients such as; Holiday Inn, Hilton, Fairfield and La Quinta, with REVIT software.
Andrews University School of Architecture, Berrien Springs, MI, US, Intern Architect
• Autodesk Revit - Building Information Modeling (BIM). Reproducing campus buildings and identifying public safety devices. Design and structural engineering of community churches.
• Structural engineering, cost estimating, and product research of community churches.
Smith Lumber, Hartford, MI, US, President-Owner
• Co-Owner & President — employee peak 25
• Retail building supply and equipment rental; prefabricator and builder of storage sheds, decks and garages; custom blueprint and engineering service.
• Responsible for sales, purchasing, inventory, pricing, advertising, payroll, construction, design, engineering, estimating, and contracts.
Smith Homes, Hartford, MI, US, President-Owner
• Co-Owner & President — 4 to 8 employees.
• Designed, engineered, and built decks, garages, post and beam buildings, residential spec and custom homes, MSHDA and USRD homes, agricultural buildings, and small commercial buildings.
• Responsible for construction, sales, purchasing, estimating, design, engineering, contracts, advertising, and payroll.
Smith Building Center, Hartford, MI, US, Employee
• Retail building supply company.
• Responsible for sales, purchasing, inventory, pricing, advertising, and, estimating.
AIA Henry Adams-Certificate of Merit, Award
Each year The American Institute of Architects awards and engraved medal and certificate of merit to the top-ranking graduating student in each architectural program accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board. A certificate is awarded to the second-ranking graduating student.
A Vision For Growth and Conservation In The Village of Berrien Springs & Oronoko Charter Township, Michigan. Please visit the website for more details.