Intrigued by the most basic tool - our hands - and how they influence design based on experimentation, knowledge and skill. The process of developing an idea to a constructed reality takes a certan understanding that excites me and a complexity that challenges the way I think.
Since I was young, how objects were conceived and contructed fascinated me and that certain mystique has brought me into the design world. I have a great appreciation for all handmade things and a strong desire to contribute to this art of craftsmanship, design, technicality, fabrication, and overall architectural framework that exists today.
Parallax Architecture and Planning, Culver City, CA, US, Intermediate Designer
Translate design directions from the Senior Designer, Job Captain, or Project Architect into precise architectural drawings in AutoCad and to develop the architectural content of the project design under the direction of senior staff.
- (millwork, framing, window/opening integration, FFE – to name a few)
- *extensive knowledge in waterproofing, plaster application, and gymnasium components
- Spatial layouts
- Area calculations
- Building systems integration
- Building systems integration (Structural, Civil, Mechanical, Plumbing, A/V, Telecom, Landscape, Theater
- Architectural composition and design translation
- Site integration
- Compose door/window schedules
- Research and establish specifications
Plan Check Procedure
- Submit drawing sets to Building and Safety (in person and through online)
- Conduct and resubmit plan check revisions
- Research and apply codes as necessary
- Coordinate revisions with other project consultants
- Participate in plan check meetings and discussions
- Resolve outstanding items on task lists by making clear, actionable decisions
- Fulfill project’s design requirements in turn meeting all applicable zoning/building codes and any other relevant legal restrictions through rigorous/precise coordination
- Establish critical path and deliverables
Coordinate with the project team as necessary to help create design drawings and physical models as required to explore design concepts.
- Compile design studies/sketches and translate into real functional assemblies
- Design exploration using physical models and 3d tools such as laser cutter and 3d printer
- Product research/comparison
Anticipate the graphic documentation required for presentations at each phase of project development and make sure drawings are produced at the appropriate level of precision and completeness for client/consultant review.
- Contribute to website development
- Design 2D rendered plan and perspective drawings for program and material studies
- In-house 3D rendered drawings for presentations and material studies
Assist the Senior Designer and Job Captain with Structural and MEP coordination or other required consultant coordination.
- Design sketching
- CAD drafting details
- Product research
- Maintaining significant communication via email, phone, fax, drawings, and meetings
Monitor and review the projects design progress at weekly project meetings with team members and bring junior staff and consultants up-to-date on design changes whenever necessary.
- Weekly office meetings
- In-house rep./mfg. meetings and informative presentations
- Site visits to verify field conditions
- Compile as-builts
- Building and safety visits (plan check process)
Water Studio, Culver City, CA, US, Project Manager
Project Manager and Designer of finely sculpted water and fire elements. With great attention to detail and an understanding of how materials come together, beautiful features exude this process and creative expression.
University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, US, BArch, Architecture