Barry Watkins - Architect, Santa Rosa, CA, US, Architect
• Raven Performing Arts Theatre, Healdsburg, CA – Renovation & Addtions: Phase 1A Stage Renovation in for Plan Check; Remaining Phases thru Schematic Design
• 322 University, Healdsburg, CA – House Renovation, Master Suite & Garage Addition, Garden Cottage & Studios – Design Development thru Plan Check
• The Bishop’s Ranch, Healdsburg, CA – New Pool Development, including Demolition, Changing Rooms and Equipment Shed – Schematic Design thru Plan Check
• 1120 Sunset, Healdsburg, CA – Kitchen Renovation with Master Suite & Deck Additions – Schematic Design thru Plan Check
Jon Worden Architects, Healdsburg, CA, US, Project Architect
Principal Tasks by Phase to be noted for Significant Projects that follow:
Schematics: Entitlement Drawings, Fee Proposals, Project Budgets
DD: Consultant & Systems Coordination, Code & City Reviews, Document Management
CD: Detailing, Specifications, Plan Checks, Bidding, Value Engineering
CA: On-site Observation, Field Reports, Shop Drawing & Certificate of Payment Reviews
Fair Oaks Plaza, Sunnyvale, CA – 124 Low-Income Senior Apts (Mid-Peninsula Housing)
• Innovative Infill Project created by building a four-story free-standing Type I concrete Open Parking Garage that freed up the remainder of the County Health Clinic’s parking lot for the construction of 4-Story Type V wood-frame Apartments and South-facing Exterior Open Space over a partially-submerged Type I Garage.
• Responsible for DD thru CA tasks noted above plus entire CD’s for Parking Garage.
Esprit Park, SF, CA – 142 Apartments/Condominiums (Build Inc.)
• Loft Units in two repurposed Historic brick and heavy-timber Warehouses (one Type V & one Type III) interlaced with new 5-story Type II steel moment-frame Structures. Exiting complicated by non-aligning Entry levels in each Warehouse, standardized floors of new construction, and sloping site which places some floors below street. Complex Construction & Fire Separations due to different adajcent Construction Types.
• Responsible for DD thru CA tasks noted above, particularly Exiting, Fire Separation & MEP Coordination between different Construction Types & Structural Systems.
550 Moreland, Santa Clara, CA – 430 Apartments (Prometheus/PCBC Gold Nugget)
• Both 4-story Type V wood-frame and 8-story Type I steel moment-frame Residential Buildings atop two-story below-grade Parking Garage with elaborate Leasing and Recreational Structures requiring major coordination with Design Consultants.
• Responsible for DD thru CA tasks noted above, particularly Structural, MEP, Code & Fire Coordination plus entire CD’s for Leasing and Recreational Structures.
Jennings Court, Santa Rosa, CA – 55 HUD Senior Apartments (Burbank Housing).
• Constructed of propietary pre-manufactured Type V Steel Panel System, including Structural Engineer, requiring significant change orders and on-site revisions.
• Responsible for Schematic thru CA tasks noted above, including HUD closeout.
Zimmerman Welschmeyer, San Francisco, CA, US, Project Architect
140 South Van Ness, SF, CA – 212 Condominiums (Sprincin Group)
• Single-handedly produced and managed 12-story Type I Concrete Structure for an involved Client & design-build Contractor from conceptual design thru construction.
• Responsible for Schematic thru CA tasks noted above, plus entire Construction Documents, Podium Landscaping & Interior Design of Lobbies and Owner’s Unit.
Old School, Fremont, CA – 11 Live-Work Units (Santa Clara Development)
• Renovation of historic school building into Live-Work loft apartments.
• Responsible for Schematic thru CD’s.
E*Trade Administrative Offices, Sacramento, CA – 71,000 s.f. Tenant Improvement
• Responsible for CA.
Berger Pool & Pavilions, Los Gatos, CA – 2600 s.f. Pool Pavilion plus Grotto Colonnade
• Required to be an extension of the existing house while wrapping a new pool terrace on a steep slope.
• Responsible for Schematic thru CD’s, plus Interiors.
Hansen Murakami Eshima, Oakland, CA, US, Project Architect
Elihu Harris State Office Building, Oakland, CA – (CA State/Hathaway-Dinwiddie/DMJM )
• On-site Construction Architect for a 23-story Type I Steel structure with both precast concrete panel & glass window wall facades, as well as skylighted atrium, interfacing with both developer/contractor (Hathaway-Dinwiddie) & design architect (DMJM).
• Responsible for Shop Drawing Review (Structural Steel, Pre-cast Panel and Window Wall systems being particularly difficult), Field Clarifications, Project Coordination and On-Site Observation. Window Wall Testing took place at Miami Lab, as well as on-site.
Fischer-Friedman Associates, San Francisco, CA, US, Draftsperson
Plans, Sections & Detailing for many multi-family projects, including:
• Bayside Village, San Francisco, CA
• Paradise Lakes, Phoenix, AZ
• Civic Executive Center, Walnut Creek, Az
• New American Home 1985
• Jackpot Casino & Hotel, Jackpot, NV
Columbus Architects, San Francisco, CA, US, Project Architect
Condominium & Low-Income Housing Projects - Design Development thru Construction Administration
• Manors Condominiums, Redwood Shores, CA - Townhouse Condominiums
• Ginzton Terrace, Mountain View, CA - Low-Income Seniors Apartments
Rice University, Houston, TX, US, BArch, Architecture/Film
Majored in Architecture with most memorable work with Jon Casbarian & Danny Samuels of Taft Architects and Steven Izenour of Venturi, Rauch & Scott Brown. Concentrated in Multi-Family Housing, but also had success with Library and Recreational Center projects. The many art studio requirements resulted in a double major in film with Brian Huberman, the only member of my class who went that route. Film editing and criticism were my favorite parts of that program. Spent a year of preceptorship 1981-82 in the San Francisco office of Fisher-Friedman Associates. Having also spent significant undergraduate time in theatre work and writing for the school paper, I offered to curtail those activities during my fifth year, but was told that was not a problem. I appreciated the multi-cultural opportunities within the small school with individual attention from staff, a bonus I did not understand when I applied and was accepted Early Decision in 1977 - again the only one in my class which I discovered only my last week at school.