Jessë Valentine Portz is an architect, artist, and a designer of human interfaces and interactions with technology, buildings and products.
Experienced professional architect with over 17 years of experience in the field. Licensed in Hawaii and California. Comprehensive knowledge of all phases of the architectural design and production process for institutional, residential, commercial and retail projects. Diverse professional background that includes project management, rendering, graphic production, consultant coordination, space planning, spec writing, construction management, photography, graphic design, information technology, photography, illustration, painting, and cabinet making. Highly skilled at learning new building technologies and computer software systems. Intense personal interest in green building and ecology.
Have been designing and detailing a wide variety of projects from small to grand scale, using many methods of construction from type I to type V and everything in between. Seasoned design skills on both team and solo projects. Experienced managing clients, junior architectural designers, design consultants, construction managers and construction inspectors. Besides being thoroughly skilled at hand drafting, extensively experienced with a wide variety of computer software including BIM. My website which features my work is http://jessevalentineportz.com/.
Excellent project architect doing both design and drawing production. Experience doing feasibility studies, code-compliance and constructibility reviews, construction cost estimates and specification writing. In addition to strong design skills, experienced as both a project manager and a construction manager. Can make sure the project is both well designed and on schedule. LEED accredited professional committed to green design and construction as a sensible way to improve our environment. The greenest design is that which is so beautiful that it will delight its users for generations, and will withstand the test of time pragmatically and functionally.
Jesse Valentine Portz, Santa Barbara, CA, US, Architect, Design Architect, Web Designer, Architectural Renderer
Production Architect creating construction drawings and presentation renderings for firms including Paul R. Zink AIA, Kurt Magness Architect and Kari Architect (among others) of single family homes and remodels. Production using VectorWorks/RenderWorks and Form•Z, ArchiCAD with Maxwell Render.
Web designer for sites such as http://zinkaia.com/ and http://stucarey.com/.
Spacecraft, Honolulu, HI, US, Principal Architect, Owner
• 1 person shop, doing all design, production,
marketing, management and accounting.
• Architect for single family homes.
• Major project completed in 2010: Designed and completed
a new custom private home in the North Shore of Oahu.
State of Hawaii, Department of Education, Facilities Dev. Branch, Construction Management Section, Honolulu, HI, US, Architect V
• Construction Manager and Contract Administrator
for K-12 schools from Kalihi to Hawaii Kai on
Oahu repair and maintenance projects.
• Oversaw work of contractors and construction
• Certified invoices for payment to contractors and consultants.
• Coordinated efforts of school clients, contractors and consultants.
Peter Vincent Architects, Honolulu, HI, US, Project Architect
• Collaborated with senior staff to create and develop high-end
custom large single-family house plans for private clients
in Kahala, Kailua and Lanikai on Oahu from the schematic
development stage through construction documents. Met with
clients to address their needs and adjust the design to both
meet their needs and create functional, beautiful architecture.
• Conducted code, building product and equipment research.
• Managed assisting drafting staff. Assisted
in training other staff on ArchiCAD.
• Coordinated the work of consulting
engineers and Landscape Architect.
• Member of IT Steering Committee and
Production Standards Task Force.
Franklin Wong & Associates, Ltd., Honolulu, HI, US, Architect
• Worked as project architect on a variety of projects,
specializing in education and public clients.
• Performed field investigations of existing conditions.
• Developed drawings including construction documents,
schematics, presentation drawings, post-contract documents.
• Reviewed shop drawings and contractors’ submittals.
• Responded to contractors’ requests for information.
• Coordinated with consultants, specializations including:
structural, mechanical, electrical, landscape, construction
cost, specifications, and civil engineering.
• Upgraded computer network, server, workstations,
and software. Served as network administrator.
• Implemented national CAD standards.
• Projects of primary involvement included reroofing at 4
schools, ADA transition improvements at 9 campuses, 2
restroom remodels for ADA compliance, 2 campus R&M
projects, a shelter-in-place, and a comfort station.
Todd R. Cole, Landscape Architecture, San Francisco, CA, US, Temp. Architect
• Collaborated with Project Managers to draft drawings and
details of fountains, garden walls, arbors, pools, cabanas,
fireplaces, paving plans, planting plans and screening plans
for large-scale residential landscape architecture projects.
• Conducted materials and construction research, developed
and modified details, and created and revised drawings.
• Advised office manager on CAD standards.
Jesse Valentine Portz, Albany, CA, US, Architectural Render
• Produced digital architectural photo realistic renderings
and digital models for architecture firms that included
Studios Architecture, MWM Architects, and David Kesler,
Architect. See images at www.spacecraft.net/pro.html
• Primary software used: formZ RenderZone, ElectricImage
Fee Munson Ebert Architecture + Design, San Francisco, CA, US, Staff Architect
• Worked directly under principal architects to produce
construction and presentation drawings.
• Projects included Sephora retail shops (Sephora locations:
San Francisco Union Square, San Francisco International
Terminal, New York Times Square and New York 5th
Avenue, New York Flatiron district), office building at 235
2nd Street, San Francisco, various retail interiors, and other
large-scale retail, commercial and residential locations.
• Utilized AutoCAD, formZ and Lightscape to produce
construction documents and renderings.
STUDIOS Architecture, San Francisco, CA, US, Junior Designer
• Provided computer rendering and completed construction
documents for a wide range of commercial and industrial project s.
• Actively participated in all project development phases includi ng
master planning, schematic design, design development,
and creation of bid construction documents and addenda.
• Additional tasks included model making and drawings
for miscellaneous tenant improvement projects.
• Utilized ArchiCAD, formZ and ElectricImage to
produce presentation and working drawings.
Mark Horton / Architecture, San Francisco, CA, US, Junior Designer
• Produced construction and design development
drawings for residential projects.
• Maintained Macintosh computer systems
and LAN for all office workstations.
• Functioned as company’s graphic designer: Redesigned office
letterhead, designed and produced marketing materials and
publications for office and attached galler y “3A Garage”.
• Trained staff members in use of formZ RenderZone.
• Created 3D computer models and renderings.
California College of the Arts, San Francisco, CA, US, BArch, Architecture
NAAB accredited architecture school taught by practicing archi -
tects in San Francisco. Other studies included graphic design,
furniture design and construction, and painting. Strong emphasi s
on holistic design problem solving, synthesis and organization.