HOWARD R. TURNER
NCARB, LEED ACCREDITED PROFESSIONAL BD+C, CCM
16720 15th NW, Shoreline, WA, 98177, (214) 766-0353
Secure a senior position with a dynamic fast-paced architectural design firm to provide to manage, produce, or design projects of any type, from marketing and planning, through construction administration.
Accomplished Architect, Project Manager, and Construction Manager of over 150 building projects, ranging in scope from commercial office and retail, healthcare, government, sports, entertainment, residential, educational, and community service projects, including 15 Sustainable Design/LEED/ projects.
Successful at working with multiple large groups of people based on positive, responsive, perceptive innovative and experienced interpretation of stakeholders’ expressed needs and project realities.
Effective at working the complex dynamics of process, people and systems, resulting in consistently satisfied customers while maintaining operations and staying within schedule and budget objectives.
•Designer on a variety of building types and sizes, see Relevant Project List & website.
•Project Management of on time and budget projects with ironclad documentation and risk aversion.
•Office/Practice Manager with results-oriented consensus-building group facilitation skills.
•Marketing skills that secure profitable work and consistently result in repeat business.
•Green analysis of existing properties’ operations, energy analysis, regulatory compliance, LEED.
•Effective Mentor and developer of human resources in a creative/collaborative studio.
Turner & Associates, Freelance Consultant
Planning for major Healthcare Facilities in Saudi Arabia with major Construction Management firm, including campus planning, workplace and research facilities and office space programming.
Ongoing analysis existing buildings for strategic design, functional, and energy saving upgrades.
HKS Architects, Vice President, Design Manager, Senior Designer, LEED Manager
HKS Inc, Dallas Texas, Vice President 1998-2009
Managed large design studio providing quality services and training of young professionals for ongoing roles within the company. Served large firm’s management, sales and marketing, project management, design, training and development, and sustainable design leader by clearly communicating between departments and studios.
Sales and Marketing
• Produced winning design proposals based on clients’ stated needs. Knowledge of competitive pricing on design fees and construction costs on a range of building types resulted in signed contracts with fees profitable to the firm while within market and industry standards. Strong negotiating skills to close deals and protect the firm by adjusting fee and scope to match.
Results: Prior 48 months successfully negotiated and closed 7 new contracts and 10 repeat business contracts worth $4.5M.
• Collaborative working relationships with clients, including a mix of responsive personal attention, high quality execution, and follow-up to determine lessons learned and improve service level.
Results: 58% repeat business rate over the last 11 years.
• Certified Construction Manager, CMAA.
• Brokered collaborative solutions to many project challenges working with contractors, consultants, and owners’ representatives.
• Proven track record keeping projects on schedule, ensuring all parties understand budget implications while safeguarding the feasibility and profitability of the project.
• Provided scheduling, meeting notes, contract administration, etc. to owner/contractor teams.
Results: Successfully designed and/or managed over 150 projects of many types comprising 30,000,000sf of constructed space and parking structures throughout the country.
Training and Development
• Have managed incubator design studios, effectively supervising interns in design and production roles. Conceptualized daily and weekly deliverables, packaging increments of work suitable to skill sets and talents of trainees, and then challenging them to improve. Taught design process, technical knowledge, creative/collaborative and cooperative execution. Benefits to the firm included more efficient use of interns’ hours, and faster ramp-up to independent roles throughout the company and beyond.
Results: Transitioned 52 interns to profession-wide positions in design and production.
• Established project standards and methodologies for LEED consulting.
• Tutored Principals toward successful passage of LEED AP exam.
Results: Trained over 40 architects to perform LEED consulting and Sustainable Design.
Sustainable Design and Leadership
• Thought- leader re-orienting HKS’ approach to sustainable design as an integral component to basic design process. Changed paradigm of sustainability into the early marketing phases. Created revenue orientation for sustainable services, presented eco-charettes to client groups and managed teams to register and certify LEED buildings around the world.
Results: Attained LEED AP status in 2003.
Results: 15 projects registered or certified with USGBC, Austin Green Building, or BREEAM.
Results: Created LEED for Existing Buildings (EB) program to serve clients’ needs
• Updated to LEED AP BD+C in June 2010. On track for Existing Buildings Fall 2011.
Turner & Associates, Principal
Turner & Associates, Seattle, Washington, Principal 1989-1998
Owned and operated a successful sole proprietorship architectural practice. Services included full architecture basic services, construction management, program management, public/private hearings, permitting, feasibility studies, design, space planning and development and property management.
Winvest and Gramor Development, Development Manager
Winvest and Gramor Development, Seattle, Washington 1986-1989
Construction Manager during this period of rapid growth in the Pacific Northwest for two commercial real estate development firms, involved in all phases of real estate development and construction.
University of Washington, Real Estate Development Certificate Program
Focused on feasibility, budgeting, scheduling, and the architecture’s role in real estate development.
University of Oregon, BArch, Architecture and Allied Arts
Driven by an early interest in site planning, solar design, and green design while in college at the University of Oregon, I graduated with an emphasis in Landscape Architecture and worked for the Trust for Public Land helping identify private land suitable for public parks. I have incorporated sustainable principles into my designs throughout my architectural and environmental career where ever possible. As an expert in high efficiency buildings, green building and energy conservation, I. believe in four key, basic aspects of design: developing high efficiency designs to reduce a building’s carbon footprint; incorporating strategically-placed landscaping to provide natural shading; minimizing water usage and the impact of water run-off on surrounding water sheds, streams and lakes through the reduction in impervious surfaces on sites.