David brings exceptional attention to design creativity, detailing and installation. He is overseeing garden demonstration projects in the City of Long Beach as well as working on conceptual designs for the Willow-Spring Gulch, a new regional park in the center of the city. He has worked on architectural and detail design elements for the Courts & Ways Greening Grant and for a number of other small, highly crafted design projects. As a landscape designer, David’s ability to visually explain complicated landscape systems enables him to carve out an important niche for his career path.
Prior to joining the Office of Sustainability, David worked for the Orange County Parks Design Department in Irvine and was instrumental with his assistance in the Sign Standardization Project. He also worked for Armstrong Garden Centers as a lead designer for residential landscapes.
He holds a BS in Landscape Architecture from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona where his work for the reuse of the historic Los Angeles Jail USGBC design competition received honorable mention.
City of Long Beach - Office of Sustainability, Long Beach, CA, US, Landscape Designer
- Oversee California native and drought tolerant garden demonstration projects in the City of Long Beach. Projects include: Civic Center Berm, North Branch Library & Bixby Park
- Developed conceptual design packages for the Willow-Spring Gulch, an in-progress regional park located in the center of the city.
- Contributed to the awarding of federal grants for such projects as the East Arts Village District ($5,000), Courts and Ways Greening Grant ($170,000) and Farm Lot 59 (in-progress).
- Created successful momentum for city projects through the ability to visually explain complicated landscape systems. Projects include: Longview park, Orizaba's Pocket Park and El Dorado's Nature Center Landscape Restoration.
- Senior Green Team Leader for office's Low Impact Development Programs which includes the Laundry to Landscape, Urban Forest Tree Planting, Mulch Delivery, and Lawn to Garden
- Drafted construction documents for Parks, Recreation and Marine (PRM)
- Provided graphic design support for bidding proposals (PRM)
- Created diagrammatic and illustrative plans for such projects as the Water Bond (turf to drought tolerant species) and the Broadway and 3rd Street Bike Lane Planters
Orange County Parks, Irvine, CA, US, Design Assistant
Instrumental to the completion of the Sign Standardization Project utilizing Adobe Suite programs.
Armstrong Garden Centers Inc., Claremont, CA, US, Landscape Design Consultant
- Managed landscape design installations utlizing nursery materials for residential projects.
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, Pomona, CA, US, Bachelors, Landscape Architecture
Mt. San Antonio College, Walnut, CA, US, Landscape Design, Horticulture, & Music
USGBC Los Angeles Chapter Design Competition, Honorable Mention
Reuse for the Historic Lincon Heights Jail