see all...Viewing 3 out of 16 projects
I offer a well rounded skill set developed by experience throughout a cross section of the building industry. With experience in the design profession, construction subcontracting and the skilled trades, I have engaged in building projects in a number of capacities, spanning from pre-programming through the warranty period. I have contributed to the success of brand sensitive and technically exacting projects. For 8 of 16 years in the design profession, I have led &/or worked on teams in close cooperation with client stakeholders, construction managers, contractors & outside consultants on projects effecting mission critical functions with phased or accelerated schedules. I have significant experience in leading teams & stakeholders through the project development process.
The path of professional development I have followed is unique; as is the breadth of the skill set I have formed in the process. I am fortunate to have received a quality undergraduate education; one that has taught me to learn thoughtfully, to engage analytically in big picture thinking and to express myself purposefully. Leading to a BA in architecture, the architectural portion of my studies focused on the principles of design and the expression of ideas in built form. To balance the abstraction of my studies, I worked summer jobs in residential construction. I was taken with working wood; and spent five years after university learning the nature of materials, how they go together & how to work with them rather than against them, in the process of learning the crafts of framing, finish carpentry & cabinet making.
Later, I moved to commercial construction, in the roles of project management and estimating for subcontractors of custom casework. In these positions, I came to a direct understanding of what information bidders need from the documents and of what information is better left out. Based on working with the bid sets of many firms, I developed a sense of how to organize the drawings & specs to maximize the clarity of the information presented, to facilitate the splitting of the work between the Trades and to encourage coordination between the Trades. I have worked in close association with the fabrication process, and have developed an ability to weigh the pragmatic implications of detailing solutions developed to achieve design intent. I also experienced both the reasonable and the unpleasant facets of the contractual side of construction, as it plays out between a contractor and his subcontractors.
On a daily basis, the work I do in architecture is informed by these perspectives, as well as by experience in a varied group of architectural practices. I approach the range of design decisions - from programmatic to detailing - with an eye toward overall design intent, degree of functionality, value added relative to cost incurred, adaptability & durability, ease of construction and tolerances required. I communicate with executives, professionals, administrators and tradesman in a manner of respectful professional assuredness. I interact with team members in a variety of styles, as is most effective in facilitating each individual’s productivity. I work fluidly between paper & computer, using each to best advantage to maximize the efficiency of moving a project forward, preparing for the next stage of realization.
I work as a proactive team player, contributing well tuned communication and relationship building skills, founded in careful & respectful listening and development of win-win solutions. I analyze from multiple perspectives and think across the range between overall goals, design intent and specific details. I use my time strategically, work with a polite sense of urgency, document clearly and organize my efforts to facilitate movement between multiple demands.
Architects Associated, Inc., Dayton, OH, US, Design Lead
• Responsibilities: Design Lead: combination of project architect, design architect and project manager responsibilities in a firm specializing in public sector work. Contributions include building of client relationships, full scope of project definition & project delivery services (planning through contract administration), writing for proposals, proposal interviews, leadership of client meetings & establishment of targets, project estimating & scheduling, leadership of production teams / staff utilization, mentoring, guidance of consultants, hands-on design & production, specification writing, introduce projects to & communicate with local Code officials, development of situation specific contract clauses, trusted advisor relationship with company owner and development of company’s AutoCAD-based drawing system / quality standards.
• Projects: a 174,000sqft phased addition / renovation of a multi business unit, security sensitive Common Pleas Court facility in Warren County, OH (with data center & 911 Call Center). A 68,800sqft phased addition / renovation of a multi business unit, security sensitive County Juvenile Justice Center in Warren County, OH. Smaller projects including energy efficiency improvements, restaurant, ecclesiastical, athletic, detention, crematory services and automobile repair building types.
MCKINLEY & ASSOCIATES, Wheeling, WV, US, Intern Architect
• Responsibilities: Intern Architect with staff architect responsibilities on larger projects including developing SD & DD level designs into CDs, defining tasks for and guidance of designers & drafters in multiple offices, budgeting & scheduling, code research & application, guidance of consultants, CAD drawing, hand sketching & annotation, specification writing. Project architect / project management responsibilities on smaller projects from programming through contract administration.
• Projects: multi bid package projects for Wood County Schools (WV) include a 176,700sqft historic high school renovation, a 38,400sqft science / kitchen / cafeteria addition, shell renovations to a 29,676sqft classroom building, & 32,900sqft renovation - reorganization of a votech / kitchen / cafeteria facility.
GLANCEY ROCKWELL & ASSOCIATES, Boise, ID, US, Project Manager
• Responsibilities: Project Manager with project delivery responsibility on commercial & residential projects. Contributions include design & production drawing, consultant coordination & specification writing, introduce projects to & interact with local Code officials.
• Projects: a public bid 24,000sqft highway maintenance facility for the State of Oregon, an invited bid 14,500sqft sales / assembly facility for a gym equipment distributor, the negotiated price (privately funded) renovation of a 7,600sqft private residence into the 12,000sqft official residence for the Governor of Idaho, and a phased 14 unit 31,100sqft condominium complex development.
PORTNEUF VALLEY DESIGN, Pocatello, ID, US, Project Lead / Job Captain (Independent Contractor)
• Responsibilities: Project Lead / Job Captain with project delivery and staff utilization responsibilities, develop procedures for conversion between design firm’s & Owner’s drawing formats, organize and coordinate information within & across disciplines. Confer frequently with Owner’s staff on project delivery issues and validation requirements, track down and incorporate field condition information, lead PVD staff through production and CAD issues.
• Projects: multi discipline record drawings on a large pharmaceutical / food processing project.
CH2M Hill, Pittsburgh, PA, US, Job Captain / Senior Draftsman
• Responsibilities: Job Captain / Senior Draftsman in a global firm with various combinations of supervisory and support production responsibility on accelerated schedule projects. Experience includes tool & production line focused design, services during construction / installation / startup, design for & field work / construction administration in clean room & aseptic environments, consultant coordination, construction / CM coordination, design & production drawing and specification writing from & with multiple offices.
• Projects: microelectronics, food processing and security. Imperial and Metric projects: green field chip foundries, 200-300mm chip foundry conversions, micro electronics R & D facilities & data centers, sustaining engineering services and code driven upgrades, design associated with installation of pharmaceutical / food processing product lines, and security system upgrades. Delivery of service from home office, branch offices and satellite offices at clients’ sites.
WTW ARCHITECTS, Pittsburgh, PA, US, Senior Draftsman
• Responsibilities: Senior Draftsman with supervisory and support responsibilities developing SD & DD level designs into CDs, design of custom casework.
• Projects: a large green field corporate headquarters in mid state PA, renovation of a student union for the University of Colorado at Boulder (joint venture) and branch bank renovations.
ROSS BIANCO ARCHITECTS, Pittsburgh, PA, US, Draftsman
• Responsibilities: Draftsman – beginning CAD experience in drafting of conceptual, schematic and design development documents
• Projects: healthcare, housing, commercial and residential projects.
KATELYN CONSTRUCTION, INC (Construction Subcontracting), Pittsburgh, PA, US, Estimator / Project Manager
• Responsibilities: Estimator / Project Manager for a Millwork Fabricator / Installer. Contributions include estimating and management of projects, marketing, scheduling & budgeting, contract negotiation and creation of shop drawings.
• Projects: institutional, business & residential projects.
MARC ANTHONY CONSTRUCTION (Construction Subcontracting), Pittsburgh, PA, US, Estimator / Project Manager
• Responsibilities: Estimator / Project Manager for the Millwork Fabrication Division of General Contracting Company. Contributions include marketing, development of proposals and scope definition; pricing of hard bids, overall project management, contract negotiation, vendor negotiation & purchasing, budgeting & scheduling and oversight of shop drawings.
• Projects: branch bank, automobile dealership, restaurant & housing projects.
ALLEGHENY MILLWORK, PBT (Construction Subcontracting), Pittsburgh, PA, US, Project Manager
• Responsibilities: Project Manager for a regional Millwork Fabricator. Contributions include contract negotiation, vendor negotiation & purchasing, scheduling & budgeting, oversight of shop drawings and field measuring & templating.
• Projects: fast-track, design-build and plans & specs projects in health care, restaurant and retail.
IKM INCORPORATED, Pittsburgh, PA, US, Intern Architect
• Responsibilities: Intern Architect with production support responsibility on large projects and project lead responsibility on small renovation projects. Experience includes: preparation of contract drawings & specifications, contract administration, presentation drawings & models.
• Projects: health care (hospital & P.O.B.), office buildings, parking garages, food service facilities.
GLUNT BUILDING COMPANY (Skilled Trades), Pittsburgh, PA, US, Carpenter
• Responsibilities: Carpenter for a residential developer / builder / general contractor. Experience includes: framing and trim carpentry on new construction and renovation projects, coordination with the work of other trades.
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, US, MArch, Architecture
Program not completed
Yale University, New Haven, CT, US, Bachelors, Architecture
Liberal arts education with a focus on architectural design.