CRISTINA FACIO, R.A., LEED Green Associate
854 18th Street, Unit 14
Santa Monica, CA90403
C. Facio Architects - Santa Monica, CA 6/2000 to present
Principal, Design Architect, Project Manager, Construction Manager, Property Development and Consultant
As principal of an architectural firm, consultant and director of other companies, I have set up Architectural Offices and managed multiple projects within budget and timeline success. Regardless of the size or type of project, my commitment and involvement in each project remains professional, passionate and successful.
- From inception to completion, each project is uniquely and specifically designed and managed to support sustainable green building design, the particulars of the client, the site and its surroundings.
- Develop and oversee projects throughout all levels of planning, design and construction.
- Maintain the project’s design, time schedule and construction costs, while the projects are well coordinated and managed with the engineers, consultants and contractors throughout the design phases, construction documents, bidding and Construction Administration and lease coordination when applicable.
- A variety of these projects include commercial with retail and offices, restaurants, condominiums, hospitality, multi-family and high-end custom single family residences. My experience also includes work on hospitals, public schools, mixed use and residential developments, and extensive interior architecture work.
- I am especially successful in the development of challenged and substandard properties.
Residential Additions, Remodels and New Single Family:
- Design and Project Manage residential projects through Construction Documents, Bid/Negotiations and Construction Management on New Construction, Renovations, Additions and Remodels on Single Family Residences in Santa Monica and the West Los Angeles area. Many of these projects included Design/Build services.
Project Liaison Consultant to a School District:
- As a Project Liaison consultant to a school District, I was involved in the facilitation and coordination of 4 school’s new construction project activities; reviewed Project Costs and budgets, identifying that they were within proper scope; processed Pay Applications, Invoicing and related documents including Work Orders, Purchase Orders, Change Orders, Substantial Completion Requests and other related documentation. Prepared claim findings, provided specific site project needs and CA services.
Montana Avenue Residence:
- As Architect/Owner/Builder, I designed, developed and built a legal substandard R2 lot in Santa Monica, CA creating a single family two story residence with a subterranean garage and basement and lofts opening to two private roof decks. Approval of setback variances allowed the front of the building to align with the neighboring Montana Avenue setbacks, providing a large rear court yard maximizing the open space among its R1 neighbors.
- Challenged with many constraints, including a reduced budget and time schedule, I hired all contractors and subs, and as construction manager I oversaw the entire construction, scheduled all subcontractors and trades, bid and negotiated all contracts, ordered all materials and worked closely with the City of Santa Monica to get inspections approved in a timely manner. The residence was designed as a green building with natural sun and cross ventilation provided from the SW patio into a four level atrium, which became an architectural lighthouse feature as a beacon at the end of the street. It was exhibited and included in the City of Santa Monica’s Green Building tours.
Idaho Avenue Condos:
- Designed and developed a legal substandard R3 lot in Santa Monica, CA to allow maximum building area for a two unit, 3 story condominium building with a large roof deck off lofts and parking in a subterranean garage.
- Approval of multiple variances granting modified setbacks and approved parking was the success in bringing this property in conformance with the surrounding properties’ allowed building envelope.
- The building was designed with one floor per unit to enjoy natural light, ventilation and views with exposures on all sides. Both units have their own “green” space in the front garden, patios and private entry off Idaho Avenue.
- Construction Documents, Specifications, Bidding and pulling building permits were completed for the project.
Montana Avenue Retail & Offices:
Designed and developed a new Retail and Office Building for an existing commercial project on Montana Avenue in Santa Monica, CA. Processes thru the Planning Department for different approvals became a critical step in seeing the project’s final design outcome and success. As Project Manager, expedited the preparation of Construction Documents, coordinating all consultants; as Construction Manager oversaw the project’s schedule, coordinated subcontracts, etc. and after completion, took a lead role in leasing the retail and office spaces as the final process taken with this project. The project gained extra interior square footage, creating an additional retail space.
Wolfgang Puck Food Company, Design Group - Santa Monica, CA 2/1993 – 6/1999
Director of Architecture, Design Architect, Project Manager, Construction Manager
- Created the Design Group, an in-house Architectural and Interior Design Department, initially set up to document an existing original Wolfgang Puck Café restaurant design concept and items created by the owner.
- As Director of the Design Group, we developed new designs by simplifying and prototyping details and materials in order to standardize the WPFC style for production and cost efficiency with vendors and manufacturers.
- Developed the Asian restaurant concept, ObaChine, using a more upscale design with natural materials such as brick, wood and copper for a warm ambiance.
- Developed the Wolfgang Puck Grand Café in which the Architectural and Interior Designs were toned down from the original concept to support the new Exhibition Kitchen, Sushi Bar, with food and wine display areas.
- Successfully created a more upscale restaurant with new design elements, warmer use of colors and natural materials and furnishings that allowed a more versatile clientele to experience the restaurant’s newer features.
- Hired and oversaw all Architectural and Engineering Consultants, and originally did all the bid/negotiation processes to assist with the General Contractor selection, including processing all Requests for Payments, Change Orders and punch list items prior to approving Substantial Completion. Mentored the in-house staff through Construction Administration and did Construction Management for a number of the initial projects.
- Project Managed the in-house Architects and Interior Designer. Established the Design Group Department’s standard forms, created the Interior Design Specifications Books, I.D. Purchase Orders and a Maintenance Book to reorder all I.D. items which allowed for efficiency with a reduced department size, and were used for all franchises.
- Participated in the expansion of the restaurants within prominent retail shopping centers working with the landlords and real estate departments throughout Southern California and other out of state locations. Worked closely with the in-house Real Estate Department, creating a lease exhibit of the restaurants’ requirements to use for negotiations at all locations. Worked with landlords in order to obtain maximum TI allowance and negotiated signage, site and building conditions to obtain the best circumstances for each individual restaurant.
- Oversaw the Projects’ Architectural Development from Conceptual Design through Construction Administration on all completed projects which included 12 Wolfgang Puck Cafés, 3 Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafés, 3 Obachine Restaurants, 5 Airport Wolfgang Puck Expresses, 4 Wolfgang Puck “grab and go’s” at Gelson’s Markets, among numerous other completed designs and projects that did not make it into construction.
C. Facio Architects - Santa Monica, CA 10/1991-2/1993
Principal, Design Architect, Project Manager, Construction Manager, Consulting Services
- Designed and provided construction management for a Miami Beach, FL condominium remodel, from hiring of all the sub contractors to selection and purchase of all materials, fixtures, appliances, cabinetry and finishes.
- Provided Design Services for 22 hospitality suites on two consecutive floors of a high-rise condominium conversion in Miami Beach. With limited square footage and double height ceilings, the units were designed to maximize the volumetric aspect of the space.
- Preparation of feasibility studies for several development properties in Los Angeles, CA.
- Provided Consulting Architectural Services in Design, Construction Documentation and Project Management in Retail Projects for Thane Roberts, AIA Architects in Santa Monica, Ca.
Grinstein/Daniels Architects - Los Angeles, CA 8/1987-10/1991
Project Manager, Design Architect
- As Project Manager/Administrator, I created and implemented standard office forms and procedures necessary for time and budgetary guidelines to administer each project’s architectural phases, in order to financially manage the projects. Bidding the consulting engineers and awarding the various disciplines were part of each project’s process, which included reviewing their invoicing and making sure their coordination met the project’s timeline.
- I met with clients, helped develop the projects’ programmatic requirements, established schedules and budgets.
- I oversaw the projects from design through construction; project managed and assigned the project architects, bringing consistency through the project’s phases. Creating communication procedures through bidding and construction administration was critical to the success of each project’s construction budget and completion.
- I maintained project budgets by engaging competitive bidders during the Design development phase and preparing cost estimates for all specialty design items to be included in the Construction Documents and Bid Packages. Maintaining the project schedules and meeting specific deadlines awarded the company with bonuses.
- The following are some of the projects I oversaw as Project Manager:
Chaya Restaurant, Venice, CA
Typhoon Restaurant, Santa Monica Airport, Santa Monica, CA
Remodel and addition to Harris/Powell Residence, Malibu, CA
Low/Sebastian Duplex, Venice, CA
Mosauer Apartments, Van Nuys, CA
Baumann Residence in Benedict Canyon, CA
Virgin Music and Virgin Records Offices, New York, NY
Peacock and Lewis, AIA - West Palm Beach, FL 4/1985–7/1987
Design and Project Architect
- Under talented mentorship, this respected and well-established architectural firm enabled and strengthened my abilities in design and as a project architect. From meeting with clients through construction administration, I successfully took projects through design and construction documents. One of my opportunities included working on a few healthcare projects with St. Mary’s Hospital, in West Palm Beach, where I worked directly with the Hospital’s Administrators and Medical Staff.
- The following are some of the projects I worked on as Designer and Project Architect:
Sun Point Savings Bank, a branch bank and office building; Design Development through Construction.
Renovation and addition design of Gerstner Residence in Jupiter Island.
Interior Design and Construction for Two Corporate Law Offices in Phillips Pointe, West Palm Beach.
St. Mary’s Hospital’s Connecting Corridor, a 300 foot long building, physically and aesthetically tied their new MRI and Cancer Research Center Facilities to the existing hospital wing.
Space Planning and Interior Design for the Physical Therapy Department, St. Mary’s Hospital.
Labouisse and Waggoner, AIA - New Orleans, LA 6/1984-4/1985
Design and Project Architect
Design and Project Architect to a Twenty Classroom Addition for a public elementary school in New Orleans meeting with the school board and public agencies in order to obtain design and budget approvals.
Perez Associates Architects - New Orleans, LA 3/1983–6/1984
Design and Project Architect
Worked in the New Orleans ’84 World’s Fair under world renowned Architect Charles Moore, with the benefits of a large organization while maintaining the strong design and project involvement of a small studio. Worked under critical deadlines to see projects through design and Construction for the Fair’s grand opening; integrating a monorail system throughout.
Federal Fibre Mills Building, designed Jed’s Lookout, a temporary Bar and Hospitality Suites, which were to be converted into condominiums post Fair; including the integration of a monorail station into the building.
Battery Pointe, a 60 unit condominium project in the French Quarter had many site constraints as well as conditions set by the Vieux Carre Committee.
Baldwin, Sackman& Associates - Coconut Grove, FL 1/1982–3/1983
Design and Project Architect
- Worked on large residential development projects, involving urban design to create pedestrian scaled village centers integrating residential buildings in park setting with water elements and landscaped parking areas within walking distance to support centers, in simultaneous phases of design, working drawings and field observations.
- Residential addition and remodel, taking the project from conceptual design through construction documents.
Charles Sieger, AIA - Miami, FL 7/1980–10/1981
Design and Project Architect
- Worked on a variety of over 20 projects in design, model making, presentations and working drawings.
- Schematic Design for The Terraces, a residential condominium project in the Biscayne Bay.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES / AFFILIATIONS
Registered Architect, California, License: C-22735
Registered Architect, Florida, License: AR-0013562
LEED Green Associate Certification #10579681
NCARB Certification and A.I.A. Local, State and National Affiliation for over 20 years
Bachelor of Architecture, June 1980 / University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL (5 year program)
PROFESSIONAL COURSES – CONTINUING EDUCATION:
LEED Sustainable Design Seminar for Certificate of Completion, LEEDTeacher, LLC
Real Estate Development for Planners and Architects, UCLA
Construction Management, UCLA
Advanced AutoCAD + Architectural Desktop + 3D Modeling, Santa Monica College
Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Seminars + UCLA 2012 Revit Architecture Class
Fluent in English and Spanish.
University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL, US, BArch, Architecture- 5 year program