Deane is an architectural writer, editor, and photographer based in Washington, D.C. At Architect Magazine, Deane writes engaging news stories about domestic and international design projects. He edits the magazine's Next Progressives column, a profile of up-and-coming firms that appears monthly in print, as well as various building features. Deane also manages several of Architect Magazine's awards programs, including the long-running P/A Awards and Residential Architect Design Awards.
Outside of work, Deane volunteers with AIA|DC's Emerging Architects Committee as its communications advisor, and recently started BrutalistDC, an online appreciation of Brutalist architecture in the nation's capital. BrutalistDC launched a map in collaboration with London-based publisher Blue Crow Media in October 2016.
Hanley Wood, LLC, Washington, DC, US, Associate Editor, Design
• Writing short design, news, culture, technology, and products articles
• Scouting projects for print and online publication
• Managing awards programs for various titles within Hanley Wood's Residential Construction portfolio (ARCHITECT, Residential Architect, Architectural Lighting)
a l m project, studio intern & model-builder
• Project Manager for Salades de Provence Restaurant in Beverly Hills, CA; coordinated subcontractors and specified fixtures
• model building for residential and commercial projects, from ¼ scale to life-sized models, in foamcore, chipboard, homasote, and plywood.
• material research – studies of construction and finish materials, obtaining samples of materials from manufacturers
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA, US, Teaching Assistant (Structures 1)
• graded assignments and provided feedback to accelerate student learning
• held private tutorials for struggling students in addition to office hours
Hammer Museum, Graduate Fellow
• logo design lead for HSA, consulting with Hammer Museum design staff
• designed HSA sandwich board for BruinWalk (managing graphics, printing, & application with outside vendors)
• assisted Hammer staff with calendar of events details
CMg Design, Materials Librarian & Model-Builder
• organization of materials library
• design of custom furniture, including models
• requests for product literature, samples, specifications, and pricing
• material research – studies of various building and decorating materials, obtaining samples of materials from various vendors & manufacturers
• marketing of past projects to potential clients; bookmaking
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), MArch, M Arch 1
Alpha Rho Chi Medal for Leadership, Award
The Alpha Rho Chi Bronze Medal is awarded annually at accredited schools of architecture in the United States and Canada to honor graduating students who have demonstrated leadership, service, and the promise of professional merit. The recipients of the medal are decided by the faculty of each school.
UCLA Teaching Assistant, Scholarship
In recognition for outstanding coursework, the Architecture and Urban Design Department at UCLA awards Teaching Assistant positions that allow students to share their knowledge in the form of a teaching fellowship. These TA positions include a scholarship.