I am a graduate of the Master of Architecture program of Iowa State University. After completing Bachelor of Architecture from Utkal University, India, I worked with consulting firms in Orissa, New Delhi and Hyderabad, India in several increasingly responsible roles. My education at Iowa State University proved to be the turning point in my professional life. I started my professional career in US as an intern architect at AP Architecture, Charlotte. I was appointed a project coordinator within 3 months of joining. I am working on hospitality projects for famous brands like Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn and Marriot Fairfield. I am also involved in multi-family and religious projects. I’ve been working on these projects from schematic developments to construction documentation stage and coordinating between client, contractor and consultants from different trades.
My diverse educational experience ranges from Peace and Harmony Center to Skyscraper. My final year undergraduate design thesis on Peace and Harmony Center gave me a true perspective of impact of architectural design to a populous, fast developing and multi-ethnic country like India. In Iowa State, the Skyscraper studio with Architect Jim Goettsch as a visiting faculty helped me gain valuable experience with the nuances of a high-rise structure. The comprehensive studio for a Velodrome in Boston helped me visualize the different aspects of a large scale civic project in a metro city. My Haiti studio dealt with the post disaster challenges in a third world country. My ‘Entrepreneurship and Innovation’ graduate certificate from the College of Business taught me several critical aspects of business and entrepreneurship.
My extensive volunteer experience has given me unique insight into socio-cultural issues of south-east Asia and USA. In Charlotte I have been involved with organizations like Habitat for Humanity, Architecture for Humanity, Green Chamber of Commerce, Green Drinks and American Red Cross. At Iowa State University I was involved in several on and off-campus organizations like Design Across Boundaries, Track 1 Mentor Program, Emerging Green Builder's Club, Green Life Club, American Red Cross, Taekwondo Club, College of Design Career Day programming committee, International Student Council, International Friendship Connection, Indian Student Association and Friday International Student’s Hospitality. These unique experiences have not only enriched my classroom education by providing real world perspective, but have also taught me grassroots impact, sensitivity, and have provided me with a guiding philosophical force and self-motivation.
I'll bring with me the close understanding of present urban scenario, ability to comprehend client requirements through data interpretation and client study, critical appraisal of design aesthetics and problem solving tools. I understand the hard work, determination, motivation and team effort that my industry demands and I've proven myself in several positions and responsibilities in the past few years.
It is through my research and design that I aspire to change the way we develop, sustaining our planet, our environment, while achieving peace and tolerance in our coexistence.
I look forward to personally meet and discuss this position further.
AMRUTESH MOHANTY ASSOC. AIA, LEED AP(BD+C)
m.arch., iowa state university
P | 443.510.6102
E | email@example.com
W | amrutesh.com
PS: I've the work authorization to work for any employer without any sponsorship. I can start immediately. Please visit http://amrutesh.com
AP Architecture, Charlotte, NC, US, Project Coordinator
• Designed and prepared schematic drawings for hospitality projects. Prepared full set of construction documents for hotel brands like Marriot Fairfield, Hilton Garden Inn and Holiday Inn
• Interviewed clients, coordinated project with consultants, contractors and professionals from different trades
• Prepared proposal and competition drawings for mixed-use housing
• Designed and prepared construction drawings for religious structures and rehabilitation projects
Examiner.com, Green Building Examiner
• Writing relevant articles for Charlotte channel of Examiner.com in the Green Building section. It involves analyzing local green and sustainability efforts, green building industry and consumer perspective.
• It also involves interviewing industry experts and updating the readers about the latest innovations and technologies in their respective industries.
ITT Technical Institute, Charlotte, NC, US, Adjunct Instructor
• Taught 200 level classes of Materials and Processes and Architectural Drafting.
• Developed innovative modules for passive learning techniques and experiential learning
AP Architecture, Intern Architect
• Prepared schematic drawings for hospitality projects
• Prepared full set of construction documents for hotel brands like Marriot Fairfield, Hilton Garden Inn and Holiday Inn
Research and Outreach, Project Architect
• Design Across Boundaries projects for La croix, Haiti and Ellsworth, IA
• Mini Velodrome for Des Moines, IA with Ar Jason Alread of Substance
• LEED Home building in Cincinnati, OH with Larry Sims of Studio4
Iowa State University, Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Aug 2009-May 2011)
Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
• Taught a lab for a 200 level architecture class, Design Communications and 300 level Design Technology class
• Assisted Prof Bruce Bassler for 400 level and 200 level architecture classes for ‘Materials and Assemblies’
Consulting Architect (May 2009– Aug 2009) Project Architect (May 2007– Oct 2008), Jr Architect – Trainee (May 2003 – Aug 2005)
Nesters Design Forum, Bhubaneswar, India
• Designed commercial complex, office interiors, high end residential bungalows and long-term road side landscaping projects for state government
• Designed landscapes and buildings for long term projects involving development of major tourism locations along with Integrated Coastal Zone Management Project funded by World Bank at Chilka, India
• Other responsibilities involved preparation and presentation of conceptual drawings for RFPs used in tender bidding, supervising project sites, working with civil engineers and contractors in project estimation, mentoring junior architects and interns
Hyper Cube Design Center Pvt. Ltd., Architect
Nov 2008– May 2009
Hyper Cube Design Center Pvt. Ltd., Secunderabad, India
• Designed and executed a pub and discotheque
• Designed the facade of a nursing home and apartment complex and several high-end bungalows and interiors.
• Prepared Logo and poster for Share-A-Service, a national NGO
Arch-e-Vent, Architect/ Partner
Aug 2005 – Nov 2008
ARCH-e-VENT, Bhubaneswar, India
• Designed a vacation home for a client living in Boston
• Designed second floor addition and expansion plans and facade design of residential projects
• Designed the official logo for State Urban Development Authority and cover pages of State Consumers Forum and State Commercial Tax department journals
Kamath Design Studio, Trainee Architect
• Prepared both conceptual, presentation drawing and detailed design drawing of a corporate guest house for a steel magnate. Emphasis of project was green and sustainable architecture with vernacular influences in design
• Prepared conceptual drawing, presentation and detailed design for a commercial shopping complex project and few gated housing complex along with developing the master-plan of an industrial township at Raigarh and Raipur India
• Prepared expansion planning of Taragarh Palace Hotel, Himachal Pradesh, India
Iowa State University, Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Graduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation
College of Business, Iowa State University, USA
Iowa State University, MArch, Architecture
Master of Architecture, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, USA
Professional degree in architecture, accredited by NAAB, USA
Utkal University, BArch, Architecture
Bachelor of Architecture, Piloo Mody College of Architecture, ABIT, Utkal University, Cuttack, India
Five year professional degree in architecture, accredited by AICTE, India
Graduate Practice Book Award, 1st Place
• Graduate Practice Book Award for the year 2010-11 by College of Design, ISU for best candidate in Architectural Practice category.
Nominated for Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and colleges, Nomination
Nominated by the Pro-vost of the Iowa State University upon the recommendations received from all the departments. It places me in the 27 selected out of some 27000 students.
Annual National Design Competition (ANDC) for National Association for Students of Architecture (NASA), 2006, India, Honorable Mention
• Top 20 design short-list, Design team leader, Annual National Design Competition (ANDC) for National Association for Students of Architecture (NASA), 2006, India