Archinect
anchor

Rendering Fees

montu

A littile help.
i am writting a proposal to do some renderings of a residential project 5 story 20 units, urban site penthouse. etc.

A final model.

2 exterior front renderings.
2 exterior rear renderings.

3 of a typical unit
3 of the penthouse
1 typical bathroom
1 typical kitchen
2 lobby

What would you charge for something like this.
What do the major rendering houses charge for high end magazine quality stuff?

Thanks in Advance---Archinect Universe.

Nov 1, 05 1:33 am
BOTS

For us here in the UK we would charge at least $5000 for just the external shots rendered 'high end' in Max and Cinema 4D.

Nov 1, 05 3:47 am  · 
 · 

a bit cheaper in tokyo. about 2500 for the exterior stuff and as much for the interior. and charge for changes.

Nov 1, 05 6:43 am  · 
 · 
French

I'd say it's about the same in euros as what jump stated for tokyo here in France. Didn't know it was so expensive in London though... BOTS are you selling renderings that much or did you pay for it?

Nov 1, 05 6:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

French - you'll do 4 renderings for $2500, photoreal?

That's cheap. I'd say in the US it ranges from about that to $10k or so.

Nov 1, 05 8:59 am  · 
 · 
bigness

bloody fecking hell!
ok, that's it, i'm giving up getting an education.
vray here i come.

do you work from plans and sections? how long do you work on, say, a photoquality outside rendering of the whole building, people and plants and all?

Nov 1, 05 9:17 am  · 
 · 
BigAaron

You might want to check out the American Society of Architectural Illustrators Fee Survey That is a pretty good resource that I sometimes use to base fees.

Nov 1, 05 9:49 am  · 
 · 
French

2500 euros, how much is that in dollars now? But I meant 2500 A DRAWING which is about 10000 for the whole stuff. Just as I thought jump implied in his post.

Nov 1, 05 10:19 am  · 
 · 
joed

you can also charge by the hour. depending up experience, of course, the rate will change. for my first freelance job (i have to admit that i am pretty good at this stuff), i charged $60/hr. the job took 40 hours (modelling, materials, lighting, rendering, post-production), i made 2 images, got paid $2400.

Nov 1, 05 10:29 am  · 
 · 
joed

i forgot to mention:

$60 is a solid (slightly high) hourly rate to charge for somebody still in school, which is just to say that it's a fine rate, as long as you are confident that you know what you're doing. professional renderers (even those watercolor guys) charge way more, $100/hr.+. something to look forward to!

Nov 1, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
trace™

*Phew*

Ok, French, that's what I thought. You do some very nice work and I was shocked to think it was cheap.

Nov 1, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

joed...with those hourly rates you've inspired me to go out get some 3d modeling/rendering jobs on the side

Nov 1, 05 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
French

Hey thanks for the nice comment trace. I guess I missread the jump post. I'd like to see your stuff too; I think I remember you sent me some of the stuff you did a while ago, but I don't know what you're up to now. Send me a word whenever.

Nov 1, 05 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

nah, you red me correctly. you might get a bit more, but these are deflationary times and most things are cheaper than they used to be, even in tokyo. i think it would be difficult to get more than a 1000 dollars for an image...in any case that is what my firm paid.

do you have a website french? would be interesting to see your work.

Nov 2, 05 3:11 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Good question French. We both sell and have bought renderings for that price. We are talking photorealism and quality here. Usually for marketing purposes.

Nov 2, 05 3:48 am  · 
 · 
French

Hey BOTS, is your stuff online so that I can compare what you get in London for that price? I'm curious, since I only HAyes Davidson's stuff, which is nice and high quality but suposedly more expensive than our average prices here in Paris.

Nov 2, 05 6:11 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I have a look and see what I can post up. It is worth noting that depite my location in Cardiff we still charge London prices (we have a London 'sub' office to justify that cost).

Nov 2, 05 8:39 am  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

Here in chicago, we only pay $1500/ rendering. Does it hint our americans charge too little?

Nov 2, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Saturn

It really depends on you skill. If you have great renderings look at chargeing per rendering. If they are soso then charge as a set of interiors and a set of exteriors.

If in the US I would say about 1200 - 1500 per rendering.

Nov 5, 05 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

$1200-1500 is pretty cheap. The places I've worked at (large 3D house) charge closer to a few thousand per rendering, with most projects easily going above $10k. Animations easily go above $30k, with some hitting the big million dollar mark.
The quotes I've gotten while working at arch firms, that we couldn't have done in house, were at least that, and that was many years ago.

An office doing renderings wouldn't be able to make any profit at $1500. Even a freelancer won't make much money at that fee.

*This is assuming it's a average building*

I should also note that there are TONS of firms that do mediocre work, so perhaps they can make money making things really fast and not worrying about quality.

Nov 6, 05 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Saturn

I was under the impression that it would be several renderings from the same spaces. I make a hell of a profit doing renderings like that. Also, it deppends on the resolution of the renderings. Higher resolution = higher proce.

Nov 6, 05 2:34 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

couple of thousand pounds for something like this.

Nov 6, 05 5:08 am  · 
 · 
wahi

what about animation prices, whats the rate for that?

Nov 6, 05 8:42 am  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

what are the prices for ANIMATION......would that be LONG clips, at what

Dec 2, 05 1:14 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Well damn I should have looked at this first. But we are paying .60c per sf. And we forked over about 5000K for a wee comlplex recently

Dec 17, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

charging by the sf is odd. I charge based on the complexity of the building - med villas, even small ones, take longer to make than a large glass and steel tower.

I think the overall impression here is misleading (renderings of average buildings, done well, are not usually cheap). Let's use BOTS example:

Let's assume that by 'a few thousand pounds' he means somewhere around 2500-3500. 2500-3500 pounds converted to US dollars = 4,431.85-6,204.60. That's not cheap, but seems correct to me. I've seen renderings go for much more than that and much less, but for a professional to handle it, that seems decent.

Dec 17, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I charged $500 per rendering while in school. I could have charged more but I may have burnt a few bridges. Plus I have added a few sweet renderings from some pretty cool architects/designers to my portfolio. I would say pricing is all relative.

Also, look at it like dealing drugs. Give the new guys a lower price. They'll tell their friends. Next thing you know everyone is calling your for more. Then you can look out your apartment window at the city below rubbing your hands together and in a low, evil voice mumble "Excellent."

To add to the comments above, I would never ever charge per sqft. There are way too many factors to consider before this. One major factor, which your client will hopefully understand, is how much time it will take you to work - though beware of the clueless client: "Just set your computer to render. How long could that take?" If you hear this, smack him or her hard and walk away. But anyway, you may even be able to negotiate a little more if they want you to add a little extra to the renderings after they are delivered - to counter this, you may be expected to tweak images to their liking until they are satisfied, because you guaranteed specific output.

Dec 17, 05 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

has anyone managed doing freelance rendering while in graduate school? are there enough hours in the day for this?

Apr 26, 06 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
joed

i did a freelance job this semester (i'm in my last semester of grad school at columbia). i estimated that it would take around 60 hours and it ended up taking somewhere around there. i would usually put one solid day of work in during the school week (tuesday afternoons, when i didn't have class) and got what i could done during the weekends. all in all i think the job took me about a month and a half to finish. it wasn't too much of a burden with my other school stuff, but i knew what kind of time i had to devote to it, i told my client that my school work comes first and that the job would take a month or two to finish. he was cool with the schedule and everything turned out great.

May 2, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

ok ok, how much is rendering? how much is modeling here? do you freelancers get pure paper plans or do you also get cad files and such?
how detailed are your models really if it's just a rendering of the exterior?

May 2, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
joed

these issues have been touched on already in this forum and others, but the main point to be made regarding them is that they all depend upon your skills, both as a businessperson as well as a renderer.

for the job that i just mentioned, i was asked to provide three exterior views. i worked off of schematic autocad plans and sections provided by the architect. because this architect still does his own schematic presentation work (plans, elevation) by hand as well, with colored pencil, i scanned those drawings in and scaled them in autocad against the schematic vector drawings to have a couple of sources to work off of (when things are in schematic design nothing is nailed down and you often need to use your own common sense and artistic sensibility). the architect also provided me with a full plotted set of the schematic cad drawings, which i never even took the rubber band off of.

as far as detail for exterior shots, this will be determined by common sense and knowledge of the program with which you're working. for the most part i only model what will be seen, but sometimes unseen things will effect the lighting solution and i, of course, take these into consideration.

i mentioned above that i charge $60/hr. for my rendering work. my most recent job, again, as mentioned, took 60 hours, and so i made a total of $3600 for three images. i am pretty sure i will be increasing my rate soon, though, as a result of a combination of consistent client satisfaction, my own increased confidence in my work, and my soon-to-be-had masters degree.

May 2, 06 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

thanks joed. was a bit hesitant to take on some rendering work before starting sci-arc grad, but may be ok if i emphasize my priorities to the client. besides, i figure i could make quadruple+ the money for my time rendering than the time i spend at a work/study job

May 3, 06 12:46 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

Holly Lord of all religions on both heaven and hell!!!! I got ripped off! $17/hr doing Vray renderings!

May 3, 06 4:12 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

joed, could you please post some sample of your rendering work, i just wanna see if i got ripped off even worse than i think.

thanks

May 3, 06 4:16 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yeah, if you are good joed, you should up the fees. Those are on the low end.

dot - what I would do is #1 tell them that it would/should cost $60+ per hour as a student, but because you need to work when you can and prioritize school, that you will give them a discount for taking longer to do them. That way they know they are getting a deal, that you are smart (as opposed to a naive student getting taken advantage of) and professional, and later on, you can raise the fees without your clients wondering why.

It also respects the profession (the 3D viz profession). Architecture, typically, reduces all services to one fee and basically gives away tons of services for nothing (I can only see architecture continuing to decline in terms of fees as architects start 'giving' away 3D services as part of the deal - just dumb, but that's another discussion). So keep this in mind. If you are good, you are valuable. Unlike architecture, where there are millions everywhere, a good 3D person that is reliable is very rare (mediocre ones are abundant, though).

May 3, 06 8:36 am  · 
 · 
J3

I'll add my 2cents.
We currently have several consultants which we hire/recommend for this type of work. Some of the fees stated above sound about right. $5k per shot (interior) includes 2 revisions while modelling and 1 tweek @ final. Exterior shots can vary depending on project size and detail. A large tower fly-thru can run $10-15k +
Lately we have been working with rederers in Estonia and China, although the Chinese product was inferior (a little flat and outdated). US based firms have been producing the best product, but have the worst service, which is directly associated with their insane workloads. Fees are typically equal between foreign and domestic...
We are always looking for new imaging companies...

May 3, 06 10:53 am  · 
 · 
J3

On the "free services" comment above.
We purposefully stay away from this for liability reasons. "Free" should not be a word used in our profession...unless its for a good cause.
Instead, as the project develops we will work with crude "spatial" models from Revit or Sketchup. Clients sometimes become enamoured with photorealistic images and can lead to trouble after the project is completed (owners forget about their irrational decissions while cutting cost (VE)). And of course, it's always the architects fault! Sub-contracting the work (owner contracts the rendering co. directly) limits our liability and the renderers.

May 3, 06 11:02 am  · 
 · 
joed

the top two are from a studio project, the last one is a freelance image

ha, for some reason i am really self-conscious about posting these

May 3, 06 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Dude, they are great,

More.

May 4, 06 12:00 am  · 
 · 
pencebor

joed, those are great!

i am not that good, but close. do you really charge $60/hr ?

May 7, 06 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

$60 per hour is pretty cheap for professional services. My mechanic charges more!

May 7, 06 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
outed

trace -

60 hour isn't bad at all (if you think of it this way, for me to hire someone full time at that rate, i'd be paying well over 120k a year. if i had that many renderings to do, why in the world would i pay that much to someone? why not hire them at 50k with benefits and get them for the entire year instead of for 10 renderings?)

the work we've subbed out overseas suffers some of the problems mentioned above. you really have to push them and show an example close to the final effect you're looking for. but, at less than $500/image, there are some presentations (let's say an intermediate showing) that it makes a whole lot of sense for.

May 7, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

there's a HUGE difference between what you charge and what you'd expect as a salary. $60 per hour, charging, is nothing. Most firms charge 3 times what they pay their employ, so, by that logic, the employee at the $60/hour firm would be making $20, or 40k per year, which is quite low for the viz profession.

joed is charging his clients this. He's not an employee where he makes that much, every hour. So $60 per hour as an end fee to the client is pretty cheap for quality and professional services.

As for why not hire them, well, that's your call. $50k for someone that is professional and very good is pretty damn cheap. Everyone I know that does 3D professionally and works at other firms gets paid much more. It's a risk/reward thing. Are you sure you'll need those renderings? Do you have the cash to buy the software/hardware (plan on at least $10-20k for that) and keep it updated? There's a lot more to it than just a single number.

For large firms, it makes sense to have a 3D team, but even then, they get busy and send their work out.

May 7, 06 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
joed

thanks for the compliments, guys. yeah, i have been charging $60/hr for my first couple of jobs but am actually thinking about moving it up to $100/hr once i graduate in a few weeks and get a website up and running. i'm also trying to interview for an intern architect position right now, using my rendering skills as kind of a bonus to get my salary kicked up a little above average. i'll keep you all posted on the progress :)

May 7, 06 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

joed - be careful with that. If you don't want to get stuck doing all the 3D work that is (depends on if you want to get paid to practice, which is nice, or learn reg arch stuff). Also, be very careful about sharing your hard earned/learned skills. You will find that everyone, particularly the bosses, will want you to teach everyone your skills. Which, obviously, will make you less valuable and dilute your talent.

If they do want you to teach others, consider asking the $100 an hour for classes outside of reg work. That way you'll make money and they will think it's more valuable and not just an extra skill the intern has.

May 7, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

I am a bit overwhelmed by all the $$$/hr, I guess I am living in a wrong area (detroit) for that kind of salaries. where are you guys from?

May 7, 06 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
joed

pencebor: nyc

trace: thx for the advice. i will definitely keep it in mind.

May 7, 06 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

I'm in the same position as joed but verbally downplayed the whole 3d thing so I wouldn't get pigeonholed into a 3d cave... I do have to get registered at some point ~ right?! Couldn't you also contract yourself out to your employer as a freelancer (nights at home) and actually get paid what you're worth instead of letting them getting you as an intern and an arch viz guy as a bonus.

Thanks for the great advice Trace... I've been tossing around the idea of putting together a little basement/freelance business after I dedicate a little more time to understanding the intricacies of Final Render and was just wondering how your schematic budget worked out... $10-20k for soft + hardware... is that for the one-man-band type of 3d operation or is that for a few workstations... and a few 'nodes... and software and webhosting...?

I'm a bit of a hardware junkie and $20k will get a man a decent 3d package + ton of hardware to work with considering an AMD 3800 X2 rendernode can be built for less than $600 (700 with 2gb ram)!

I already have a dual opteron workstation that I'm getting ready to upgrade and am getting ready to build a couple of dual xeon nodes for slaves... of course I'd have to convert my edu max and acad license to commercial ~ ouch!... wait, just checked and I'm happily surprised - only $2280 not too bad : )

May 7, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
pencebor

i love nyc

May 8, 06 12:42 am  · 
 · 
trace™

pencebor - you have to keep in mind most architecture firms charge at least this amount, on average. Partners/principals can easily charge $250 per hour. You MUST keep in mind, though, that is the END cost, not what the person takes home in their pocket.

So, that's one of the huge benefits of having your own business - all the money does into your pocket. But you have to pay for computers, rent, insurance, etc., etc.

For someone in school, or just out, it may sound like a lot, but when you sit down and really try to understand, you'll see it's not.

cowgill - that was for one person, one workstation to start off with. My last workstation came in at about $4500. Software will easily go above $10k. Then there's all the goodies, like trees, skies, people, cars, furniture, etc. I've spent years building up my library.

Wait for Max 9, if you can. I believe they are focusing on Design Viz more for this release (fingers crossed, anyway, as it's been a long time since upgrades were worth it, imho - with Final Render, that's about all I need. SP3 looks sweet, btw, although I've yet to install it).

May 8, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

thanks for the clarification.

what companies do you recommend concerning goodies... evermotion, dosch, etc?!

I haven't heard anything about V9 yet nor have I upgraded to SP3 for FR. Do you use Final Shaders or just the FR advanced and adjust accordingly?

May 8, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: