Archinect
anchor

The world will end...

...in only six days (Large Hadron Timer startup countdown).

What will you do with you last working week on earth?

Aug 1, 08 9:08 pm

does this mean that i don't have to get ready for that meeting on the 8th? woo hoo!

Aug 1, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
binary

damn..... might have to call up a few "booty calls" and see how much money i have....heheheh....j.k.

Aug 1, 08 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dude, i am too tired and drunk to read that website...can somone just tell me why the world will end when the Hardon Collider Timer goes off!?

<burp>

Aug 2, 08 2:10 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Something like their is a small, obscure chance the LHC will produce something that will be apocalyptic, or whatever. The thing will be cool enough to turn on when the countdown timer reaches 0.

Aug 2, 08 2:42 am  · 
 · 
G-bot

I think it might potentially create a black hole that will invert the entire earth - ripping it and perhaps the entire galaxy or maybe the entire universe apart.

Or maybe it will just turn on and a bunch of really smart people will get excited about a bunch of numbers and graphs that result from it.

Aug 2, 08 3:26 am  · 
 · 
nb072

i hope you're not right///

Aug 2, 08 4:54 am  · 
 · 
badalian

that website got anhead start :)

Aug 17, 08 3:32 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah, if these people can't even create a working web site then I'm a little worried about their abilities to produce a particle accelerator that won't obliterate the planet.

Aug 17, 08 3:42 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

false start guys! the world won't end 'til september 10th.

Aug 19, 08 2:21 am  · 
 · 
French

It's very unlikely that the LHC will destroy the world.
It's supposed to proove the existence of theoretical objects, mainly the Higg's Bosson, that are supposed to proove the validity of the very strange string theory ...

Aug 19, 08 6:20 am  · 
 · 

oh, good they changed the date. i thought maybe the world had just forgotten to end on the 7th of august.

Aug 19, 08 7:09 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

is the world ending because the the sun has set on OMA?

Aug 19, 08 7:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, that's a relief - I figured it had ended and I just didn't notice because I'm so busy on archinect.

Aug 19, 08 7:19 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac
mainly the Higg's Bosson, that are supposed to proove the validity of the very strange string theory ...

The LHC's job to find the higgs boson won't prove/disprove string theory, what it will do is prove the standard model which has been the goal of quantum physics since the late 1800s and around which much of our knowledge of the quantum world has been built.

According to The Elegant Universe you would need a particle accelerator the size of our galaxy to see the stings of string theory.

Aug 19, 08 9:27 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

You have to admit that it is pretty great that CERN has to issue a press release stating that there is almost no chance (almost) that LHC will produce world-ending phenomenon. How many times in history has a press release been written like that?

Aug 19, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

The Mayans have a better machine...December 28, 2012...end of the current cycle on the mayan calendar.

CERN also warned about y2k and we all know what didn't happen.

Aug 19, 08 9:51 am  · 
 · 
French

oops sorry for the misunderstanding Apu, and thanks for the correction..
I agree with liebchen though, as long as humanity will be willing to spend money and energy on such vague assumption, I'll believe in progress...

Aug 19, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

no prob, i just wanted to use your post as an excuse and geek out french.

I wish i had the brains to be a hardcore physicist exploring the depths of the universe sometimes. I can only imagine what the CD set for the LHC must've looked like!

Aug 19, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

For real, the LHC starts up tomorrow. And you can watch the end of the world on the live webcast!

Sep 9, 08 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

LHC First Beam - 10th September 2008 - 9am CEST (GMT+2)

oh boy that's midnight california time tonight 2.5 hours countin' down

bye!

Sep 10, 08 12:36 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Er, I think that's actually 11 pm. Well, if I don't see you all again tomorrow, it's been fun.

Sep 10, 08 12:50 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

PST is GMT-7

The world’s most powerful atom smasher will be set in motion for the first time on Wednesday morning at the start of a 20-year experiment designed to unlock the secrets of the universe from the tiniest constituent of matter to the distant galaxies.

Giant superconducting magnets cooled to a temperature colder than outer space will propel a beam of protons – hydrogen nuclei – at close to the speed of light around a 27km tunnel built deep under Geneva’s commuter belt in Switzerland and neighbouring France.

However, it may be some weeks before physicists at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, known by its French acronym Cern, decide conditions are right to fire beams in both directions around the so-called Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

By smashing the proton beams together, they plan to recreate at sub-atomic level the intense energies a millionth of a second after the “Big Bang” that gave birth to our universe 14bn years ago.

several weeks for the end? :(

Sep 10, 08 3:21 am  · 
 · 
e909

lb:"Oh, that's a relief - I figured it had ended and I just didn't notice because I'm so busy on archinect."
seems you didn't miss much?

Sep 10, 08 5:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: