Archinect
anchor

YAHOO!

Microsoft on Friday said it had offered to acquire Yahoo in a proposed cash and stock deal valued at $44.6 billion.

I have a hard time to see it's that valuable.

Feb 1, 08 2:41 pm
evilplatypus

Ive never used yahoo once in my life - except when flickr made me change my email account so I could get back in - I'll never forgive them for their aweful tv comercials.

Feb 1, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
SandRoad

We all woulda shoulda coulda bought some YAHOO... went crazy last I looked.

Feb 1, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
brer
I have a hard time to see it's worth that much.

Thats a 60% premium on the price of Yahoo's stock yesterday. Though, today the stock has shot up something like 45%.

Feb 1, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

44.6 billion may not be what its worth in 2007, but could be its collaborative earnings if you had it. Billy Gates is worth about 48b...I don't see a problem with yahoo worth a little less actually.

Feb 1, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Yahoo is the #2 most viewed website in the world right behind Google. I believe before google was around Yahoo was #1.

They also have one of the better financial websites out there.

Still not sure this is the right move by Microsoft. If they want to beat google they'll have to develop something new and better than google. Not just buy their biggest competition.

Feb 1, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think a lot of people (myself included) have Yahoo.com as their default start page. If M$ buys them out, I guess I'll have to change it to something else.

Feb 1, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

iGoogle

Feb 1, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Where's Prophet of Doom when you need him?

Feb 1, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
Feb 1, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

according to my friend at Microsoft, many of their employees prefer google over microsoft

Feb 1, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

what's this yahoo thingy? better google it.

Feb 1, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
calajava

Google rocks~! Yahoo didn't do well in ever cylinder, I don't think it will helps Microsoft much on internet and search, and they proposed a very high price compares to awful performance of yahoo stock in the market these few years.

Feb 2, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

yahoo tip the chinese government about the address who voice out about the government wrong doing, those dissent were sent to prison....

i do hope yahoo would disappear on this planet earth a.s.a.p...

Feb 4, 08 4:31 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
what's this yahoo thingy? better google it

Brilliant, and very much my experience, as is evilp's. I'm still mad that Flickr went to Yahoo so now I have to have a Yahoo account - I think my Flickr password is actually something like "scrooyahoo".

On the other hand, I encourage everyone to always click on those "sponsored links" on Google if they go to the site you want. I do.

Feb 4, 08 7:37 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I like Yahoo a lot, use it daily for things like email, weather, some finance columns, tv listings, etc.

If the deal goes through, I hope Google comes up with a comparable site.

Love Yahoo, hate MS (Vista anyway, which is killing me - 3 gigs of ram and slower than my old machine with XP and 1 gig).

Feb 4, 08 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

trace, iGoogle and Gmail do all those things, and do them graphically so much better than Yahoo. On my personal iGoogle page: two local art/design blogs, local and Chicago weather, two news feeds, my Gmail calendar, NASA image of the day, and Calvin and Hobbes of the day.

Feb 4, 08 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: