Archinect
anchor

The NYC Housing Thread

Living in Gin

Is anybody else looking for housing in NYC this summer? The whole process is almost as daunting as grad school applications, with what seems like about as much money on the line. Unfortunately, New York landlords don't give out scholarships.

Here's my story: As most of you know by now, I'm moving to NYC around July 1st to attend Columbia's summer studio, and then work full-time in the city for at least a year while tying up any loose ends with my BA degree and re-applying to grad schools.

Ideally I'd like to get a modest 1-bedroom apartment for less than $1200 or so (preferably around $1000 if possible) in upper Manhattan west of Broadway, or in certain areas of Brooklyn or Queens. However, there's a good chance I'll have to put my stuff into storage upon arrival and live in temporary digs while I look for someplace more permanent.

Of course, there's always a catch.

Catch #1: I have a cat, which will be coming with me.

Catch #2: Ideally, I'd visit NYC for a few days in June to secure housing (if only temporary housing) before I arrive. However, the expense of making a trip like that would put a serious crimp in my moving budget, and take a big bite out of the savings I'm planning to have on hand to pay for my daily living expenses while in Columbia's summer program. On the other hand, the idea of moving into a place sight-unseen (and sending money to people I've never met) scares the living hell out of me.

So, any suggestions, aside from craigslist? Do any archinecters anticipate having an extra room for rent beginning July 1st?

Alternatively, would a group of NYC archinectors be willing to go in together on an apartment?

Thanks in advance...

(I realize this is still pretty early, but no harm in planning ahead. I can always bump this thread again later.)

Apr 10, 07 12:20 pm
+i

craigslist craigslist craigslist craigslist

i doubt youll find a 1-bedroom for that much- but probably a studio.

before you go, i'd recommend having a recent credit report in hand and/or a good-standing note from your current landlord. and be ready to fork over that deposit check.

and you can't ever be early enough when planning to move to nyc.

Apr 10, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I think you're better off in Brooklyn. That $1000-$1200 isn't going to get you anything in upper Manhattan unless you have a few if not several roomates.

A friend of mine lives in Brooklyn, works in the city, and lives in an absolutely amazing place with only one other roomate and pays around $800 a month. And I guarantee he makes less than an architect does (works at a book store). He just takes the subway to work.

Apr 10, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've been regularly looking at craigslist, and when I lived in NYC before I had a 1-bedroom in Inwood for $970. The apartment itself wasn't bad, but the building was completely ghetto. There seem to be quite a few 1-bedrooms available in my price range; it's just a question of how crappy they are.

But at this point I'm less concerned about my permanent housing than I am about where I'll end up when I first arrive in town.

Apr 10, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

Hey LIG, I'd be interested in getting a group together for a multiple bedroom apartment in the city.

Apr 10, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
odb

I have seen $850 studios in Harlem. They suck-dont even think about living in one.

And those cheap places in Inwood are gone-everything is over $1K there.

Did you apply for housing from Columbia? Arent they supposed to offer it to you when you get in? I got some and it was the nicest apartment, biggest room i have ever had in the city by far. If you havent applied, you should do it now-it might be so late they will put you on the waiting list.

You should consider subletting as well-you might have a shot at a better place in a cooler neighborhood and since you are going to be at school all the time, you wont have much or require much.

Also, if you are going to all go in and get a place together, which is a good idea, do it before August. The summer is a bad enough time to look for a place, because a lot of college graduates are coming in, a lot of foreigners just looking to hang out for the summer, a lot of interns, but August...good God-even more graduates are coming in and all the new students, it can be very competitive. So I would try to get a group together by early summer and get a place for the rest of the year.

And dont discount craigslist-I have found nearly all of my good deals off of there.

Apr 10, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Columbia does offer dorm housing for the summer studio, but I haven't gotten any paperwork about it yet. Also, I doubt they would look fondly upon me having a pet in the dorms.

As mentioned in the OP of the thread, I'm looking for something beginning July 1st.

Apr 10, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
odb

I knew people who had cats in their dorms-they seemed to look the other way if you were discreet and cleaned up after your cat.

And if you havent gotten any paperwork, you should call them yourself and ask to get some or be sent to their website so that you can sign up-it's a great deal, a decent apartment, subsidized by the university. Also call the architecture school itself-sometimes they ask current students whether they will sublet their places to summer studio students.

Apr 10, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The Columbia dorms would be convenient, but I doubt they'll be a realistic option for me, given that I'd have to vacate the room by August 12th. That wouldn't give me enough time at a new job to save up money for something permanent, and I'd rather not be under that sort of pressure to find something. If I end up in temporary housing, I'm guessing I'll need to stay there a minimum of three months or so.

As for those archinecters interested in sharing a place, let's talk. What are you looking for, how much are you willing to spend, and what are all your annoying personal habits?

Apr 10, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

hi lig/kalyani,
i'm pretty sure i'll be living in nyc starting in mid august. i might be getting university housing but i'm not positive. i don't know if this helps but i'm looking for a place anywhere up by washington heights (if you guys are still looking for someone at that point in the summer?). let me know....unfortunately my price range is about 1000 a month, so this is pretty unrealistic. all i really need is a place to sleep!
annoying personal habits:
i like to leave string lights on at night (negotiable)
obnoxious ("lovable") friends

Apr 11, 07 1:26 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My vital stats:

I'm a 32-year-old straight male. Once I'm done with Columbia's summer program, I'll be working full-time while finishing up my undergrad classes in the evening. As such, I need my home to be a more of a quiet sanctuary, rather than party central. I'm quiet, mature, politically liberal, financially responsible, and I'm looking for the same qualities in a roommate. Male or female, gay or straight is fine, but I ask that people keep the common areas clean, respect my privacy, have a stable source of income, and have a low-maintenance / drama-free personality. My taste in furnishings leans sharply towards the clean, minimalist side, and I already have most of the stuff required for a living room, kitchen, etc.

All that said, I'm feeling pretty burned-out on the whole roommate thing right now.... Hopefully I'll be over those feelings by the time July rolls around.

Apr 11, 07 8:10 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

*bump*

Does anybody know much about the Grand Concourse area of the Bronx? There's some beautiful art deco apartment buildings up in that area, the rents are cheap, but I'm concerned about the neighborhood. Is it considered to be on the upswing, a war zone, or something in between?

Apr 14, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Auguste Perret

If you didn't like Inwood, you will not like living along the Grand Concourse, especially if you're doing the Columbia Summer Program and coming home late.

If you can get one or two people who are willing to pay a grand each, you can probably get something nice near Columbia (96st - 125st.)

Apr 14, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I actually liked Inwood (and Washington Heights) west of Broadway. East of Broadway, unless it's changed within the past three years, is still a bit ghetto for my taste.

Apr 14, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, I went ahead an submitted the online application for summer housing at Columbia, since the deadline is April 20th. I'll still be on the lookout for other options in the meantime, though.

I wonder how my cat would like living in a dorm room for five weeks...

Apr 15, 07 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

oh im glad this thread was started... ill be looking for housing VEEEERY soon in the city as well. lg LIG on your search

Apr 16, 07 8:04 am  · 
 · 
sahar

You can also sublet an apartment from a Columbia student during the summer until you find a place. I have never done it, but there is an official process that students go through in the housing office to sublet their Columbia housing. My roommate has done it every summer. You should call the housing office and ask about it.

Apr 16, 07 8:11 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Thanks, sahar... I'll look into that option as well.

Apr 16, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

How cool is this? I was just able to log into my Vonage account online and change my home phone number to a NYC area code. I really wanted a 212 area code, but alas, that wasn't an option, so I had to settle for 917.

Apr 17, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

212s have been unavailable for years.

Apr 17, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Ah well, life goes on. At least I'll still have 312 for my cell phone.

Apr 17, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

like many others, i am leaving for new york this fall, and will be attending cooper. although i could afford a decent studio in east village for about 1400, i would much rather get a couple roomates and a larger place. anybody interested please email me at [email protected]

i am male, 20 yrs old, and much like you i will be spending most of my time in the studio. i will be in NYC mid-May. i am tolerant of most everything except bad music and microwave dinners.

Apr 20, 07 8:57 am  · 
 · 
c

LIG-
like sahar mentioned - student sublets will be v. convenient - I did the summer studio 2 years ago , crashed on a friend's couch in midtown for some weeks - and used columbia's internet to craigslist myself a studio sublet for the remainder of my time in the city...
thing is , there is probably already a batch of sublet notices pasted up around the campus as the semester ends- ask a favor of someone you know in ny to go tear off some numbers for you .

Apr 20, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

Gin - tell me about your cat :)

I think I'll be moving to NY in mid-Aug but will be looking to stay very close to Pratt.

Apr 21, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Wait, Livingingin, weren't you blasting NYC a couple months ago?

just wondering.

I'd honestly check Craigslist. Or if you have friends here, get them to check out spots for you...

Apr 22, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

miss_j: My cat's name is Spong, he's very friendly around me, but tends to be very shy around strangers. He has very sharp claws, and he hates dogs. He's pretty quiet except when he's hungry or wants attention. His hobbies include sleeping, licking himself, and turning cat food into poop.

As I mentioned on the Pratt thread: I'd consider Brooklyn if the place was right. It would be pretty far out of my way for the Columbia summer program, but that's only for 5 weeks. As long as I'm not stuck somewhere out on the G train or Franklin Shuttle, the commute shouldn't be too much trouble.

The 2, 3, or A trains would be ideal, since they run express in Manhattan and would get me to/from Morningside Hieghts with a minimum of transfers.

I'm looking for something starting July 1st, and my rent limit is about $800 + utilities. I should be able to afford July and August rent and the security deposit upfront, but I won't be able to afford a broker's fee.

JohnProlly:

Yes, I've occasionally said negative things about NYC. I've also said negative things about Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, Cincinnati, and Eugene, Oregon. I've also said positive things about all those places. Being a resident of a particular locale doesn't mean I give up the right to criticise certain aspects of said locale.

Apr 22, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

Gin, your cat made me smile. He looks sooo adorable and absolutely gorgeous! He would make a fabulous roommate! :)
Not sure how location would work though, as I prefer to be right near Pratt. I don't know how far the closest A train is from Pratt, in terms of walking distance... 2,3 would be too far I think?

Apr 22, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hmm... Now that I've bothered to look at the subway map, it looks like the closest A train stop to Pratt is at Hoyt-Schemerhorn in downtown Brooklyn. The A train goes near the Pratt campus at Clinton-Washington, but since it runs express, it doesn't stop there. From Pratt, you'd either have to take the G or the C train to Hoyt-Schemerhorn and then transfer to the A.

I don't necessarily have a problem with making an extra transfer on the subway, but the G train is notorious for being slow and unreliable. Being the only subway line that doesn't serve Manhattan, it tends to get neglected by the MTA for maintenance and upkeep.

Park Slope is a very nice area, but it tends to be on the expensive side. From there, you'd have to take the F train to Smith-9th and transfer to the G. There may also be a bus line that serves Pratt directly, but I don't have the bus map in front of me.

Have you considered the Carroll Gardens area? There's some beautiful tree-lined streets back in that neighborhood, and it would be convenient to Pratt via the G train and Manhattan via the F train (transfer to the A train at Jay St-Boro Hall, or at West 4th Street in Manhattan).

Apr 22, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
miss_j

Gin - Yes it wouldn't really make sense for you to rely on the G train if you were to commute to Manhattan everyday...

The Carroll Gardens area is very nice. I had a friend who lived there and her place was big with a most excellent view. As much as I like Park Slope and Carroll Gardens, I think it would make more sense for me to live within walking distance to Pratt. In fact I think I might have to consider campus housing for this year...ugh.

Apr 23, 07 1:57 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Live in Chelsea for $900/mo
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/roo/314817809.html

Apr 23, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That sounds like a winner...

Apr 23, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

If I weren't moving away, I'd totally be there.

Apr 23, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

A bargain at twice the price.

Apr 23, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

my experience [and the experience of my fellow peers] has been that it's NEARLY impossible to find housing in NYC until you're physically here.

Apr 23, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Awww, that craigslist posting was flagged for removal before I had a chance to save it. I was planning to start a log of all the most memorable roommate listings.

Apr 23, 07 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
sloring

i missed it, what did it say?

Apr 23, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
$900 need a clean roomie (Chelsea)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-04-19, 12:26PM EDT

small BR with hardwood floors, high ceiling, no windows, elevator building, shared kitchen, dining area, and no living room.

the place is spotless and bug free. I keep the doors and windows closed at all times so bugs can't get inside. the furniture is new and you must keep it that way. you will need to sit on a cushion or a piece of cardboard. you cannot sit directly on the furniture.

i am a firm believer in "stink ass" which is basically the ability of bad smells to transfer onto other objects. the smell can soak into furniture and make it smell even after someone gets up.

you cannot bring food into your room because sometimes ants will get it.

28th at 6th ave google map yahoo map
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 314817809
Apr 24, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

Ha ha, wow! Forget Brooklyn! That place sounds amazing!

Apr 24, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

By the way, I'd love to see someone keep mice and bugs out of their apartment simply by keeping the doors and windows shut. I once watched a mouse squeeze through a crack that I didn't think a Q-tip could fit in.

Apr 24, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm tempted to just show up there with a big mason jar full of ants.

Apr 24, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

...and sit bare-ass all over the couch

Apr 24, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Cdee

having lived in nyc forever, i would say: be wary of aaannnnyyyy apartment in a usually expensive area that is listed for an unusually low price. check this page(it has roundabout prices for what you should expect): http://nymag.com/realestate/articles/neighborhoods/chelsea.htm

what are this "small room's" dimensions? small in manhattan means XXS every normal place. especially since you'll be working on a portfolio, etc, you might want a little leg space, and a window to contemplate throwing yourself from :)
ha, will you get tasered if you open the window/door?

can you go see the apartment, or do you have a friend you trust to take a look for you and check out the roomie?

i'd love to hear what this place looks like!

Apr 24, 07 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

i'm pretty sure the posting was a joke.....at least i hope it was.

Apr 24, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Cdee

kalyani, you'd be surprised at the scary but real posts on craigslists...i hope i never have to use that site again.

Apr 24, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hmph... I'm already starting to see some craigslist postings (legit ones) for July 1st availability, but I'm getting cold feet about putting any money down on a place sight-unseen. I'm having flashbacks of all the NYC apartments I looked at in 2004 that seemed great on paper or even in photos, but turned out to be hellholes in real life.

It's looking like it's coming down to two options for me:

Option 1: Live in the Columbia dorms for 5 weeks while looking for permanent housing. Pros: convenient, safe, and presumably no surprises. Cons: Having a cat could cause problems, and I'd have to be out of the dorm by August 12th regardless of whether I've found new housing by then or not.

Option 2: Visit NYC beforehand to arrange housing. Pros: Ability to see places in person, and possibly secure a long-term housing situation without the need for interim housing, and CHI-NYC flights are pretty cheap right now. Cons: Cost of the trip means less money available for moving and living expenses once I arrive, and I'd lose two days of vacation time.

Anybody got a sofa I could crash on for a weekend in June?

Apr 24, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Cdee

can you get some of the people to send you a lot of pics, like, different views of the space, and all of the dimensions, if they;re collecting your money, that isnt too much to ask.

or, do you have anyone in ny who could look for you?

it might be worth the trouble to come out here and look. id say you should live at columbia and save yourself all the trouble. have anyone who could take your cat til further notice?

Apr 24, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Pics are nice, but they only tell part of the story. For example, photos won't tell you if the next door neighbor likes to blast music on his stereo at all hours of the day and night, if there's always a Mister Softee truck parked outside your bedroom window with its stupid jingle blaring on the loudspeaker, or if there's always a dozen or so hoodlums hanging out in front of the building yelling and screaming. Some things just need to be checked out in real life.

Also, photos don't tell you if the person taking your money is the actual landlord or roommate, or if they're just a scam artist who happens to have access to the space. Sometimes you just need to visit the place in real life, meet the people face-to-face, and check everything out.

Apr 24, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm leaning towards the Columbia option (having a 5-minute walk to Avery has a lot of appeal), but I'm worried about the cat. I could take my chances and keep him in the dorm room, or try to find somebody willing to look after him for a few weeks.

Apr 24, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

never take a place in nyc sight unseen. i think you should definitely do the dorms, or perhaps if you're really concerned about the cat, sublet someone's apartment who will allow you to keep it there. you'll need that five weeks to look for a place, because it's going to be impossible unless you're here. don't expect to fly up for a weekend and work it all out. in my experiences of looking here, it took at least 3 weeks each time. not that you can't do it quicker, but 2 days is really, really pushing it.

Apr 24, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Interesting (and somewhat amusing) series of articles about finding housing in NYC:

Time Out New York: Apartments 2007

May 7, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Arrgh.... I'm having a hell of a time trying to sell my Jeep. My entire NYC moving plan is pretty much dependent on being able to sell it. If I can't sell this thing for at least $4000, I'll have to bring it with me to NYC, and I won't be able to enroll in the Columbia summer program.

May 29, 07 1:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: