Archinect
anchor

CD Swap!

quixotica

This was inspired by Steven Ward's comments in another discussion, but i'm afraid my comment will get lost in all the hubbub.

Anyone interested in starting a CD swap? every other month or so you make a mix cd (usually with different themes) and send them to someone else on the list. we can hear new music and explore new interests. For safety purposes we can email whoever we have that turn with our address to send the CD's to. Get creative! design the cd, the envelope, the case. or not, we can post comments here and every swap we can post the randomized list of who sends CD's to who.

So whos in?

Apr 11, 06 4:39 pm
xtbl

that sounds like a pretty cool idea. i'm down.

Apr 11, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

i'll play! how about if each time the CD gets mailed, copies of the preceding CD's go with it? or at least a track listing?

note- this message not intended to promote stealing or any changes to the economy of the music industry as it stands. god bless the riaa. :)

Apr 11, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Fro, I like the sound of that. unless it gets to the point where we are sending columbiahouse style packages to peoples houses.

Anyway sweet! i wont be sending anything to myself! I was thinking we should aim for the end of may to send the first one so people in school have a chance to not worry about it. Any ideas for a theme?

Apr 11, 06 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i agree this is a good idea, count me in as well...

Apr 11, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

I would definitely participate in an activity such as this one! When is sign up day?

Apr 11, 06 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

You just signed up p-n. Stay tuned for more details. . .

Apr 11, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

i'm in. I doubt I'll have time to design cd covers though. probably cheapest just to mail them in a sleave, ala how the live traders (used to) do it.

Apr 11, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

ah yes, the minimalist approach. excellent!

Apr 11, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

i'm game to do this one, too. but i'll warn that it does take some management. maybe a master list of participants and some kind of circular arrangement of who send to whom next? (the one i'm already in is simpler because it's small and everyone gets every disc.)

count me in.

Apr 11, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

cool yeah i figured it would take some work, especially with new people signing up and joinging at different times and whatnot. i figured it could work like this:

cutoff to sign up for this swap would be may 1st.

Ill take care of creating the randomized list and posting it here, then you just need to get the cd in the mail by the end of the month, this way anytime more people sign up they will just be added to the list for the next one, the cutoff will be the beginning of the month that we send it out. does that make any sence? anyone have a better idea?

Apr 11, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

if someone at a university has some webspace open, we could do it all digital. one member uploads a mixed disc, which is then available to everyone for a month, and then it's replaced by a disc from another member....or something

Apr 11, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

OK, I'LL PLAY

Apr 11, 06 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
dusty

i'm in!

Apr 11, 06 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Ok if anyone has any webspace let us know, if not, we will just do it the old fashion way. (haha i love that the "old fashioned way" is now cd's)

So for the first one, should we just do our favorite songs of the moment?

Apr 11, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I will do it but only the old-fashioned (CD) way.

Apr 11, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'd just rather do it with CD's - not the digital files.

I don't want to get or give more than like 4-5 a month either.

Should we be able to express interest in what we want or is that beside the point?

Apr 11, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Strawbeary, i dont think you have to worry, i was thinking like one every 2 months or so. I prefer the actual cd method too.

I know that some swaps operate on a one person takes a turn sending a cd to everyone else at once, but i feel like that kind of makes it like a panel that is left open to judgement and one upmanship. i think it should work completely randomly. Every other month or so (however often we decide to do it) you send one cd to someone, and you receive one cd from someone. and thats it, simple, and a fun way to hear a lot of different peoples musical tastes. We can post track listings and stuff here if we want to.

I think this is more of a forum to hear what other people like and discover new music instead of expressing interest in something you would want, however, we can have themes for each cd like guilty pleasures, summer songs, songs to keep you awake in studio, etc. etc.

Apr 11, 06 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

i like themes. otherwise i obsess over what to include and have nothing to help me narrow the field.

Apr 11, 06 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

mine's ready...

Apr 11, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

yes, themes.

Apr 11, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cd number 2 burned and ready...

Apr 11, 06 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

first theme: what do the voices in vado's head sound like?

Apr 11, 06 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

alright, i'm in!

Apr 11, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP

HA! ya, I'm down fo'sho.

Apr 11, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I imagine it as something along the lines of the Magnetic fields' Stephin Merritt

that or barry white

Cds are fine by me, files are just a bit easier for me because it's less waste and clutter on my desk. I went fully hard drive with my music collection a couple years ago and I can't imagine going back to hunting for discs to hear what I wanted. Though it is rather anoying when the array that was supposed to last 3 years gets full in a little over one.

I also don't think I could do more than one a month.

Apr 11, 06 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

quit gravytrainin me...

Apr 11, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Mmm... gravy trains.

Damn. I need to eat.

Apr 11, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
AP

("HA!" for vado voices)...which probably, at least intermitently, sound like:

1/4 Careless Whisper,
1/8 poppy George Michael solo track,
1/4 Zeppelin - Bring it on Home ...or the like...
1/4 Cream's Spoonful
1/8 Momma's and Pappas - you pick the tune.

actually, not the worst idea, a "vado's head-mix."

Apr 11, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

keep on smooth jazzin' in the free world

Apr 11, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think you should have to be a somewhat recognizeable archinect personality to participate, so we don't get a bunch a wierdos. Or at least limits it to the weirdos we already know.

I think vado has Yanni, Barbara, and Kenny G in his head, along with the Wham!

Apr 11, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I GUESSED RIGHT!

Apr 11, 06 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Smooth... like peanut butter. Damn. I should eat.

Apr 11, 06 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

so am i in?

Apr 11, 06 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

umm... what would define an "architect personality" exactly??

Apr 11, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

welcome back my friends
to the show that never ends
we're so glad you could attend
step inside step inside

Apr 11, 06 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I can speak with some authority on the songs in vado's head and they are pretty much all great. Except for Wichita Lineman.

I think this cd swap is an excellent idea, however, I'll sit out on the assumption that vado will participate and then share with me. But I'll just add this: when I first had a baby I was in a babysitting co-op with a dozen moms. One person set up an Excel document that kept track of who sat for whom/who owed time/was owed time etc. Then once a month the updating of the Excel spreadsheet was the responsibility of each one of the group members. That way no one person had to shoulder the responsibility of keeping track. However, one person did have to set it up, bless that volunteer's soul.

Also, instead of a spreadsheet, would a [url]PB Wiki[/url] account be a way to track it? I admit I set up one of these for myself but haven't had time to really explore how to use it. I think it's still free to set one up. But maybe wouldn't work at all for this application.

Rock on 'necters! (See you don't want me involved because I'm a 40yo who still listens to Def Leppard on occasion.)

Apr 11, 06 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dammit! I so rarely screw up a link!!

PB Wiki

Apr 11, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well axtually i prolly wont participate if its thematically oriented. thats not the way i make cd's. guess what song im listening to right now and win nothing...
hints.
one word title
theres a guitar solo
lead singer has been in three other bands
name can be prounounced two ways...

Apr 11, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
pamplemousse

I'm in! ...and I finally come out from hiding...

Apr 11, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

make that two other bands...
song starts with the letter s

Apr 11, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

rander - i recognize you.

Apr 11, 06 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

woah! can you see me...

>kinda creeped out right now<

Apr 12, 06 12:10 am  · 
 · 
manamana

I think "songs for per" should be one of the themes as well.

can you make a gravy train out of gravy boats?

Apr 12, 06 12:17 am  · 
 · 
quixotica

I'll take care of the leg work, ill try and figure out a way to keep it organized. But it sounds like we got a lot of people interested, should we wait till the end of may for the first one? or say cut off the list and name a theme at the end of this week, post who sends to who by early next week and get this baby started right and try and get cds to each other by mid may or so?

And yes, songs for per would be great. Allthough i dont know too many songs that start with "hi"

Apr 12, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

sorry for asking a potentially dumb question...

songs for what?? per??

Apr 12, 06 12:59 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, i did a mix cd in which all the songs start with the letter P, little did i know how handy that might become....

Apr 12, 06 7:14 am  · 
 · 

one two three and i fell (tommy james); one (three dog night)
two-two (grant lee buffalo)
three coins in a fountain (sinatra); three is the magic number (blind melon)
four on the floor (beach boys)
low five (sneaker pimps)
six days on the road (sawyer brown)
seven (bowie)
eight days a week (beatles)
revolution no9 (beatles)
one in ten (ub40)
eleven (primus)
12 days of christmas (bob & doug)
thirteen (big star or cash)

Apr 12, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

six days on the road is a dave dudley song. it was also covered by steve earle. anyone else is a just posin...it appears on my mix called highway and heroin... now theres a theme for you children...
which starts with whiskeytown's 16days and ends with robert earl keen's the road goes on forever and the party never ends. guess the songs in between and win nothing...

warning, this song references the use of drugs...

Apr 12, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

and since no one seems able to guess...
it was showdown by elo...

Apr 12, 06 8:09 am  · 
 · 

steve earle was the one i was thinking of! couldn't pull it from the back of my head to the front. thanks, vado.

Apr 12, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: