Archinect
anchor

los angeles

neildesi

I will be in los angeles in a few days, can you please recomend soem good architecture to see within LA....

thanks

Jan 26, 06 6:49 pm
garpike

For how long? How will you get around?

Jan 26, 06 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
neildesi

i will be there for 1 week, and have a car

Jan 26, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh good. I will miss quite a bit, but let's see if I can't start this:

-Eames' house - in the Palisades
-Disney Concert Hall - downtown (why not?)
-Cathedral - downtown (go inside)
-Schindler house (now the MAK center)
-LA Eyeworks - On Beverly Blvd., by Neil Denari
-Endeavor Talent first floor - Bev Hills, also by Denari
-Gehry's house - Santa Monica

I'll think of more. There are tons of LA Archinectors here to fill the huge gaps I leave.

Jan 26, 06 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

downtown, Walt Disnet Concert Hall, Cal Trans, LA Cathedral, and many more...you can walk to all of those once parked.

Salk Institute is in La Jolla I believe. M&A have an interesting installation at 1619 Silver Lake blvd...it's a nice area to drive/walk around as well.

enjoy. Mexico City in LA has some damn good Mole.

Jan 26, 06 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Salk is in La Jolla. Be sure to plan a day out if it, if for nothing else, the drive there.

Jan 26, 06 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go to Silverlake and walk through the hills

Jan 27, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
garpike

Eric Lloyd Wright, eh?

Jan 27, 06 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

ill post em as i think of them.

downtown:

union station is not to be missed

walk down broadway there you will find the bradbury, all of the theaters though most have been converted (million dollar theater is right across from the bradbury)

grand central market

pershing square is not amazing but legoretta designed

in pasadena the gamble house

in hollywood the hollyhock house

see if you can get a tour of the ennis-brown house

thats all i can think of off the top of my head ill try to add to this later.

Jan 27, 06 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary
previous thread
Jan 27, 06 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

prada, beverly hills- for some oma
hayden tract-eric owen moss
getty center-enjoy the views

Jan 27, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Head to Culver City - there's an Eric Owen Moss project on almost every block in an industrial park there...

Head out to Diamond Ranch HS by Morphosis... Home of the 3" caulk joint!

Jan 27, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

can the public get onto diamond ranch? i drove by the other day while getting the fire department signoff, but figured it was locked down like most high schools. not to mention it was school time.

Jan 27, 06 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Check out Exposition Park, with the Science Center (I think there's some old Gehry back there) along with the Science Center Elementary School, by Morphosis. That alone is worth the visit, but the rose garden next door is a very nice way to spend an hour as well. And it's muuuuch closer than Diamond Ranch (in Diamond Bar, if you're lost on the geography).

Jan 27, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I stopped by Diamond Ranch on a weekend while it was nearing the end of construction - I didn't get inside, but wandered around the outside...

Also, check out Venice Beach - there's an old Predock house and the old-school Gehry house with the "life guard" tower (recently renovated)

Dick Meier's Museum of TV & Radio in Beverly Hills, Morphosis' Kate Mantellinni restaurant (also in Bev Hills)

Jan 27, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The 16 foot tall door at the Predock house is pretty cool. I'll try to find the address.

Diamond Ranch may be a little out of the way. And you need permission to get on the premises. It is a high school afterall. It is cool, though.

Jan 27, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
timpdx

Diamond Ranch is closed to the public, even on weekends and the rent-a-cops will enforce it. You can walk along the outside by the sports fields.
Interestingly, I walked right in because they thought I was the crew of a car ad that was being shot on the day that I happened to go out there.
The Science School at Exposition Park and the Caltrans building are better bets for a Mayne dose.

The Salk is amazing, but it can be a three-hour drive in heavy traffic each way if you don't time it right.

Venice, Culver City and Santa Monica are the most architecturally dense areas of the city, but many gems are found all over.

Jan 27, 06 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

mdler-
fantastic link to Silverlake stuff. Most in depth piece I've seen on Silverlake yet! Wish I could get that close to Silvertop. I highly walking around the silverlake hills also, particularly on one of those winter evenings a day after its rained and you can see the ocean.

And in my opinion the drive to the Salk is definitely worth it. You can see some good waves and some fancy jet fighters buzzing by at the same time.

And on your walk around downtown, stop off at Phillipe's! (mmmm, pie.) Right across from Union Station.

Jan 27, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: