Archinect
anchor

LA sites to not miss for arch and non-arch alike, the cheaper the better

Ms Beary

I did a search b/c I know there have been posts before but I can't find them.

I will be there for almost a week, visiting a friend. So us two wanna-be architects and our men, so a mix of whatever, architectural and non, is good. I also except suggestions of day trips outside the city. Key word = cheap, we broke.

Oct 10, 05 9:37 pm
mad+dash

hollywood sign and griffith park

Oct 10, 05 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ocean Front Walk in Venice

Oct 10, 05 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'm looking for more obscure things, it's not my first visit to LA and two of my touring companions actually live there.

Oct 10, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
o+

..how about gregory ain's mar vista tract? great mid-century oasis in neighborhoods of crap

http://www.marvistatract.org/photos.html

mapqest to get there:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&1ahXX=&address=3527+Moore+Street&city=Los+Angeles&state=CA&zipcode=90066

Oct 10, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
JMGrant

Gamble House in Pasadena, Disney Concert Hall, Caltrans Building, Gehry House in Santa Monica, and Main Street in Seal Beach.

Oct 10, 05 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
NotAnArchitect.yet

Schindler House
Eames House
Los Angeles Cathedral

Oct 11, 05 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

leaving tomorrow... got anymore?

Oct 11, 05 11:32 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank
not a cornfield

~ free:)
will rogers state historical park ~ a few bucks for a car load or enter via topanga

too bad you missed the renzo piano show at LACMA, but ithe museum is still free every day after 5, and there's a free jazz show every friday at 5:30 - and you get to see the tar pits while you're in the neighborhood:)

venice canals are a must see

Oct 11, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

In Griffith Park, on the north side (towards the 5 and past Los Feliz), there's the old zoo which is now a picnic area - you can sit and eat at tables in the grottos or hike up around some of the old cages - creepy, and if you hike up for about 20 minutes you'll have a great view of the valley. On Los Feliz. Blvd. right by the entrance to the park there are lots of food choices -
Eats - a diner with outdoor seating attached to the 9 hole golf course, LA Bread - really good bread & pastries as well as vegan soups, sandwiches, etc.
India Sweets & Spices - Indian take-out w/yummy samosas & a huge grocery store
Bakery/deli - not sure of the name but it's painted bright yellow and a little further north on the same side of the street as India Sweets & Spices. Lots of picnic choices, good grilled eggplant & hummous type dips, armenian pastries, etc.
Also in the same area they have removed the bottom of the river and there's a bike path along one side - fun walk and lots of birdwatching down at the bottom

Oct 11, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin
Museum of Jurassic Technology

in Venice.

Oct 11, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I've actually been to the Museum of Jurassic Technology, what a trip, but I swear it was in Culver City.
Thanks everyone!

Oct 11, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

watts towers
eric own moss's "village" in culver city
the getty msueum
gehry's edgemar,
grand street corridor in downtown l.a. ( disney concert hall, moca, moneo's cathedral)
Caltrans
DWP Building( department of water and power) http://virtualguidebooks.com/SouthCalif/LosAngeles/LACivicCenter/DWPHeadquarters_FS.html
Bunker Hill
hennessey and ingalls arch bookstore in Santa monica
The art center in pasenda, sci-arc in downtown l.a. USC south of downotwn, UCLA in Westwood,
all the beach houses along the venice beach walk

Olvera street and Union Station

the derby as seen in "Swingers"

Oct 11, 05 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

Venice Canals

Oct 11, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

Inexpensive

Self-Realization Fellowship Lake Shrine on sunset near PCH for picnic lunch (recommend picnic lunch from Bay City Market in Santa Monica Mmmm...Godmother)

Neptunes Net - drive north on PCH to the Ventura County line. Great boiled seafood and beers.

and if you have never been... Huntington Library in Pasadena

Oct 11, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Also the Arboretum in Arcadia (off the 210 freeway east of Pasadena) - lots of interesting plants & trees - many movies/tv shows filmed here, and if you go there, Din Tai Fung dumpling house :
1108 S Baldwin Ave
Arcadia, CA 91007 , (626) 574-7068
My favorite restaurant in the world, often a long wait but it's worth it for mouthwatering dumplings made by hand as you order - they have a couple vegetarian/fish options and if you like pork I've been told the juicy pork are the best. I dream of this place in my sleep, really...

Oct 11, 05 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

pink's hot dog stand on la brea. there's a mile long line around this place, even at 3:39 am in the morning.

the cheesy resturaunt at the top of the bonaventure hotel that rotates so you get a 360degree view of the city. the elevators in this building are pretty fun too.

the russian tea room at the museum of jurassic technology

amoeba records

the silent film movie theater

Oct 11, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The Museum of Jurassic Technology is in Culver City, on Venice Boulevard. Also check out the Center for Land Use Interpretation next door...

www.clui.org

Oct 11, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
JMGrant

The Huntington Library, The Getty Museum, Laguna Beach, the Kodak Theater, Hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains, Catalina Island, Strawberry Peak, Calico Ghost town

Oct 11, 05 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

if your into hiking w/ a cool destination:

http://www.localhikes.com/HikeData.ASP?DispType=0&ActiveHike=0&GetHikesStateID=&ID=4075

eerily beautiful site of a rusting, scattered WWII ship beached on the Palos Verdes shoreline

Oct 11, 05 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

if you're going for hotdogs don't go to pinks, it's quite overrated and the wait is rediculous. try skooby's in hollywood. almost never a line, awesome fries w/ aioli, and tasty dogs.

ra rudolph is right on with din tai fung. (bringing someone that speaks mandarin chinese or cantonese will ease the ordering)

beechwood, in venice at washington and abbot kinney is fun. grab a drink and sit by the fire pit. the abbot kinney strip of restaurants/bars/boutiques is great too.

Oct 11, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

hey - you don't need chinese for dumplings! the menus are in English as well and they all speak english... if you go, when you get there you go inside to the podium and tell them how many people are in your party. they hand you a clipboard and a number - you choose what you want while you wait (or after you're seated if you have questions), and when they call the number on the ticket they seat you and take one copy of the menu on the clipboard. they'll serve you hot tea automatically, and you can order sodas on the menu & water if you ask. definitely try the red bean dumplings for dessert, yum...

Oct 12, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I had the best time ever! I did the shipwreck walk, that was pretty cool, thanks silverlake. The getty is amazing - why hadn't I ever been there before?! Also did a self guided architectural tour that included much of above, it went very smoothly and my companions weren't even bored. I played a lot of poker too, won some moneys. Even got to work for a day for my friend's firm, earned some bucks there too, got to see how different the work can be. Good experience and I love LA now. (honestly, I didn't before.)

Oct 20, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Howard's Famous Bacon and Avocado Burger on the northeast corner strip mall at Venice Blvd. and Sepulveda Blvd. Right off of the 405!

Oct 20, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Combine a trip to Howard's with The Museum of Jurassic Technology down the street. As mentioned above it is in Culver City, not Venice.

Oct 20, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

and then head over to Tito's Tacos at Sepulveda and (little?) washington?

Oct 20, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I've heard the Get Back to Work building is worth checking out.

Oct 20, 05 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

omg i totally forgot: mama's hot tamales in mac arthur park!!!

Oct 20, 05 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Tito's is on Washington Place (kinda little Wash) one block south of Washington Blvd. Super tasty!

Oct 20, 05 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: