Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

alonso978

Hi all,

I was following this thread avidly (obsessively) last year, and unfortunately my apps didn't pan out. Re-applying this year with a more level headed and experienced approach, and I haven't been to this thread at all till today.... way too stressful!

Such a different atmosphere. I see there's been alot of talk about app numbers being down or up, etc., but I have to imagine that at most schools, the numbers are down by alot. I can see the Ivies and other top tier schools taking longer to get back to normal levels, especially if they enlarged their class sizes temporarily.

In any event, good luck to all, and hang tough for the next couple of weeks. If the volume of participation on this board is any indicator, I have to imagine we all have a better shot than last year!

Feb 25, 11 11:38 am  · 
 · 
mitboi

looks like parsons is starting to call....

Feb 25, 11 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Luthien

@mitboi

saw the posts on gradcafe as well.....
so it begins...

Feb 25, 11 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

I'm staring at my phone like I'm waiting for an ex to call back!

Feb 25, 11 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
mitboi

for parsons, i think that call the top students w/ scholarships.. the rest would be emails...

Feb 25, 11 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Luthien

last year's thread says that parsons would send out admissions even in late march, so...do they read applications on a rolling basis?

Feb 25, 11 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

ugh why did i look at what all the chatter was about?! now i can't stop checking my email...

Feb 25, 11 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Yeah, me too. My mail already came for the day, so now all that I have left to check is email. Is refreshing the page every two or three minutes too much?

Feb 25, 11 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
ramus

I'm more excited bout SXSW than this chaos- my attitude: it will be here when it will be here! I LOVE WAITING!
:D

Feb 25, 11 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

hell yah sxsw. all rsvp'd up, just waiting on fader fort to open reservations.

Feb 25, 11 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@ameliabadilia

YEEEEEEEEEEUH SXSW is going to be killer this year! ramaLAMA and I are rolling down together. Who are you excited to see?

James Blake, Mount Kimbie, Twin Shadow, Gold Panda, Baths, Matthewdavid, The Dodos, Dom, Das Racist, Wise Blood, DJ /rupture, Atlas Sound, Jamie xx, Cults, and Toro y Moi are probably our shared acts we want to see. I'm sure I missed some, but that's good cross-section, speaking architectonically.

Oh yeah, and The Strokes.
Super stoked.

As for waiting, it's almost over, and it really hasn't been that painstaking. I've appreciated the introspection my year off from school has provided me. At first I was keen on the idea of doing the things that I have not had time for in my in the past such as drawing, painting, taking more photographs, and other things like that, but sitting around and doing nothing has been quite--pardon the platitude--spiritual.

Feb 25, 11 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

twin shadow, das racist, gold panda...but i get most excited about discovering new bands at parties i stumble upon. i saw toro y moi at funfunfun a couple months back so i'm good on him (love him though).
where are the strokes playing? i don't have a wristband or anything, just hittin the rsvp scene.

Feb 25, 11 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

Neither do we. The Stokes are playing at Auditorium Shores at 8 p.m. on Thursday, March 17th. Free and open to the public.

Feb 25, 11 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
LinkOne

Only stumbled upon most of the Gold Panda album a couple of weeks back - really good.

I had no idea James Blake, Mount Kimbi, Jamie XX and others were all big in the states.

Guess I'm the ignorant one!

Feb 27, 11 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@LinkOne

I keep up with a few music journalism websites, so that is primarily why I know about a lot of UK electronic producers. Last.fm fills in the blanks when the often very selective reviewers and bloggers of the sites skip over a gem of a release, and I appreciate the community aspect it provides to discover new sounds that the listeners resonate with; I also happen to be an acute audiophile.

By the way, at what point are we creating a results thread? This fat lady is about ready to sing.

Feb 27, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
NYer

Good luck to all for this week and next. Hope to see positive posts on here in the very near future.

Feb 27, 11 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

Seriously, anyone starting a results thread?

Then people can whine about deciding which school to pick - rubbing it in nice and easy on the faces of people who got rejected.

Oh man, fun times ahead.

Feb 27, 11 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

I think we should probably hold off on a results thread until late March so as to have the most amount of results per person, otherwise the thread will be polluted with conversations about why we didn't get and so-on, and not an informational breakdown, which will be most helpful for those applying in the future, I think.

Feb 27, 11 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
LinkOne

@arquiteuthis

If you like UK Dubstep you should check out Ramadanman, Burial, Fantastic Mr Fox, Pariah, Darkstar, Mosca and koreless.

Judging from your comprehesive review process you've most probably heard of most/all of the above.

This forum is clearly an inappropriate medium to continue this discussion. People may get several "Someone responded to your post..." emails and assume Harvard have started calling or something...

Back to commiserating I think.

@jetvancake

I spent the whole of feburary wishing for march, and now its finally here i miss good old feb. He was safe. March will be a fickle mistress i fear.

Fun times indeed. Best of luck peeps

Feb 27, 11 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@LinkOne

I listen to all but Mosca and Koreless. I'll check them out.

Feb 27, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
arketkt

I sent updated transcripts for last semester's grades and I did not receive any conformation from the schools (Columbia did update the status to "official"). Has anyone else sent updated transcripts to Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, or Yale for updated grades? If so, did you receive any conformation?

Feb 27, 11 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

who knew archinect was a hotspot for SXSW folks?!

but will i be able to enjoy the glittering submarine electro mash-ups of mount kimbie, or will i just be pouring beer down my throat to repress the desire to check my android for acceptances/rejections?

on another compulsive note: i checked my application status for GSAPP, and under the header "Supporting Documents," I see this:

Scholarship: confirmed

Do other GSAPP hopefuls see the same thing? Could it possibly mean that there was a software fart on GSAPP's system, and they posted scholarship reward notification before an acceptance letter? Either way, damn the ambiguity.

Feb 28, 11 2:33 am  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@pzuro

Well, I'm a hipster living in DFW, and Austin is a hipster oasis, especially when one of the many festivals is afoot (SXSW, ACL, Funfunfun, Marley Fest... etc).

As for GSAPP, I logged in, and I had no such message under "Other Supporting Documents." This is most likely because, dumbly, I did not fill out the scholarship form before the deadline of January 15th. X_X

In my research spreadsheet, I somehow denoted that GSAPP determines grants based on FAFSA rather than an independent scholarship program, so that may explain it. My guess is that they received your form and updated your profile accordingly, although it could mean something more. I don't know!

Feb 28, 11 2:47 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

mine says scholarship: received. i think it just means supporting documents, as in, the paperwork you sent in.

Feb 28, 11 8:28 am  · 
 · 
RWoods

I just saw on grad cafe that UT has started accepting march 1 students. Has anyone heard from any other schools yet?

Mar 2, 11 1:46 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Nothing here, but am watching grad cafe like a hawk, and I too noticed those UT responses. Am hoping that it means that the rest of the schools are close behind with their responses as well.

I too am curious as to whether or not anyone else has heard anything from other schools...

Mar 2, 11 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

@ the last two:

nothing besides parsons.

Mar 2, 11 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

do we assume that no response from parsons yet means we didnt get in?

Mar 2, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
neverspeaketh

@ aag2022

That's what I was wondering as well. Not really sure. It looks like last year Parsons sent out responses from as early as March 1st and as late as March 14th. This year, however, it seems like they are big on the acceptances via phone. I know they only accept around 17 to 20 incoming students and there are already 10 posts on gradcafe.

Mar 2, 11 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

seems a little strange that UT would have sent out a rejection this early, no?

and parsons really seems all over the place with their acceptances. there's a 2009 acceptance (w/$16k) as late as march 20.

Mar 2, 11 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

also strange that some gradcafe submissions are showing the wrong date. it's almost 9pm CST on 3/2, and there have been postings for 3/3 for hours now.

Mar 2, 11 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

gradcafe is evil.

Mar 2, 11 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
jamesherm

yeah, i kind of wish it didn't exist.

Mar 2, 11 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Underslept

Just checked CCA's webadvisor... "Congratulations- Admitted"

Mar 3, 11 12:26 am  · 
 · 
mike9379

@ persimmons

How did you get onto CCA's webadvisor? Did they email us a username or instructions at some point? Or did you actually get an email from the school telling you to check?

Mar 3, 11 8:57 am  · 
 · 
mike9379

Nevermind, I found instructions on thegradcafe. From anyone else for CCA, it's CCA+(your id emailed to you a while back) and your pw is your birthday DDMMYY

Mar 3, 11 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Laurem

This is really making me wish I applied somewhere with an early decision so that I could join in on the excitement. I'm pretty sure I still have 2-4 weeks on every place I applied to.

Mar 3, 11 9:49 am  · 
 · 
comehome

First acceptance from the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, I'm absolutely excited!

Mar 3, 11 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Underslept

@mike9379

I'm glad that you found it. I assumed one of their emails went to my spam. Apparently not. I somehow figured it out on my own.

@Laurem

I have to say it's a pretty big relief, but with bigger and more prominent decisions looming it's still going to be tough. I was checking everything an unhealthy amount yesterday, so if nothing else it has calmed my nerves knowing my app was good enough for someone. If you know it's a couple weeks away, do your best not to look... it's terrible.

Does anyone else find it strange that this thread is nearly dead, yet there seems to be a high yield of arch posts on gradcafe?

Mar 3, 11 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Luthien

@ persimmons

Yes I noticed that, too. Even the thread for the last year has a high yield of parsons whereas on this thread...

Mar 3, 11 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Luthien

@ persimmons

Yes I noticed that, too. Even the thread for the last year has a high yield of parsons whereas on this thread...

Mar 3, 11 11:22 am  · 
 · 
NYer

Just got my acceptance email to PennPlanning

Mar 3, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 
aag2022

kind of want to run home and check the mail right now... neurotic much, archinect peeps?

Mar 3, 11 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Well, it doesn't help if you're already home. I've been finding reasons to stand by my front window just to watch for the postman. So, I'd really rather be forced to be somewhere else right now, especially since I just saw on grad cafe that someone received their WashU acceptance, via postal mail, of course! Just another reason to make me anxious over receiving the mail...

I feel so ridiculously neurotic! Yes, aag2022, I've officially lost my sanity.

Mar 3, 11 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

i promise you maryagnes, ur not alone.

Mar 3, 11 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
dionysus

yay!! Thanks @persimmons, checked webadvisor, and got CCA admitted as well!!!!

Mar 3, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

Just curious... what is everyone doing during this time of waiting? Are you working? Trying to get a job? In school? Doing competitions? Making baked goods (can I come over?)?

Personally, I feel like I'm in a holding pattern and its driving me crazy! I am trying to get a new job and working so the time has gone reasonably fast. Now that I'm waiting for emails from potential employers AND schools, I check my email 50 times a day.

End thought, I should take up baking. I might need the desserts to eat while I stare at my inbox.

Mar 3, 11 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ Laurem - Working part-time from home, taking care of my younger son (almost 5 yrs. old) during the day, baking more than I should (mostly breads these days, but with the occasional baked goods, of which I also thoroughly enjoy baking), training for another half-marathon, training to coach another upcoming running class, morally supporting my husband while he finishes up his degree in the next couple of weeks, and driving two wild and crazy boys to baseball practice two days a week. Oh, and taking a physics class.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this crazy email stalking stage to be over! The craziness will not go away, but at least the semblance of control over where my family will be in the next few months may come back.

So, to answer your question about coming over... Yes, you are welcome at our house. I always love to bake for people!

What is everyone else doing? Anyone? Anyone?

Mar 3, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
deletedusername

@maryagnes

I'm watching cartoons, eating leftovers, and playing with my cat. :)

Mar 3, 11 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
jetvancake

"working"

i.e., gmail - gradcafe - archinect

Mar 3, 11 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: