Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

nonneutral

@wileycount - thank you for sharing your perspective. As someone who is thinking about applying to GSAPP next year, and who has somewhat similar desires and goals, I would be curious to see some specific examples of experiences that you had in the summer/NY Paris programs that inform your passion for the school.

Mar 22, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
p_11_tx

What's the deal with USC? Has anyone herd anything?

Mar 22, 11 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
eeevalynne

I dunno, amirite?

At the time I was working on my portfolio I thought my diverse interests and variety of work was an asset - something that I think I argued successfully in my statement of intent. However, after reviewing all of the stellar portfolios on archinet for the past 4 months I feel like my portfolio falls flat and lacks direction or voice.

I have drawings from my intro classes, experimental work with fireworks, mock anthropological etchings, pop surrealist paintings, light sculptures, heck, even my robot project from my freshman engineering class from before I was a fine arts major. On my CV I included all of the orchestras I've been in and my current band as I thought my continuous affiliation with various types of music groups over the past 15 years showed dedication and ingenuity - but now I just feel kinda dumb about it.

plus I used blurb - and it seemed like everyone on here uses issuu so I was embarrassed to share before, but what the hell

http://www.blurb.com/books/1850541

Mar 22, 11 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
beezely

@eeevalynne - you're selling yourself short. your drawings are beautiful. I'd hold out for UT Austin, but if you need to reapply next year, I'd reach further with what you have. Your work isn't so different from many M Arch I applicants that are quickly accepted, but your layout doesn't do its best work to support your pieces. I guess that's good advice if you are accepted, too. I can't tell you how many portfolios I've come across of those accepted whose projects aren't stellar but have a gorgeous, thoughtful and supportive organization of work. Consider making (putting together) your portfolio, too. The blurb books are sleek but lack that tactile, constructed/hand made component. Of course, these are only ideas.

And yes, move to Austin. I'm struggling with the thought of moving back to Cambridge. I love this place so very much.

Mar 22, 11 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sipushka89

For those who are interested in UCLA- I e-mailed them today, asking when they are goig to do their decision, but they didn't answer...

Mar 22, 11 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@beezely - You're from mass? I think if I hear a negative from Oregon and UT Austin, I'll still be headed to Austin. Any advice on the move?

Mar 22, 11 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

in at oregon :)

Mar 22, 11 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Pult

@wileycount

Mar 22, 11 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - Yaaaay! Congratulations. So glad to hear that you got some good news! That was very quick - good thing they didn't waste your time. Still waiting for UT?

Mar 22, 11 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@eeevalynne - I agree with beezely - you're selling yourself short. The drawings are spectacular. I wish I had that talent. No worries on which program you used - I used InDesign and did the entire layout from scratch.

Nice job, seriously.

Mar 22, 11 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes - still waiting eagerly for UT!!! I hope it works out for me! And thank you! How are things with you? Who else are you waiting for?!

Mar 22, 11 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - I hope UT comes through for you as well. I have been waitlisted at Cornell and Syracuse. Still waiting on UW Seattle, UC Denver, and RPI. I am honored to be on the wait list for those two schools, but I would really like an actual acceptance at this point. I'm feeling more and more antsy with each day that passes.

I meant to ask you: you applied to the Portland program, right? Or was it Eugene?

Mar 22, 11 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
xactly

@maryagnes

I am waiting on RPI as well. Best of luck. Am tempted to call them to ask where they are in the process.

Mar 22, 11 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@xactly - emailed admissions coordinator a couple of weeks back just to ask if I had reason to be worried since I hadn't heard anything (I mean, they start in May!), and he said that they were still reviewing and hoped to be completed in the next three to four weeks. Long time, I know, but that's what he said. Hopefully, they're pretty close to being done by now. Let me know if you do end up calling...

Mar 23, 11 2:33 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@Sipushka89 - "For those who are interested in UCLA- I e-mailed them today, asking when they are goig to do their decision, but they didn't answer..."

i did too. they seem so dead!their website shows the same old message every single day! and march is coming to a close now. It's funny how they keep you waiting..despite taking in your application in early december!i have the feeling its either gonna be a rejection..or wait list (which is worse!)

Mar 23, 11 7:37 am  · 
 · 
johnlem87

@maryagnes - congrats on Cornell and Syracuse! I hope you get in! You're very close! Keep up those guiness floats and you wont feel too antsy, haha. I applied to the Portland program... but am in at the Eugene program and it starts in the summer. I am considering going through some kind of appeal so that I could be placed in an advanced program, or at least classes, because I did study architecture for four years. But who knows, I wouldn't entirely hate being the advanced one in my class, hah. I wish you the best of luck in the next week maryagnes!

Mar 23, 11 10:00 am  · 
 · 
beezely

@ johnlem87 - I went to UT Austin for undergrad and moved east to work, in DC then Boston. I lived in Cambridge briefly then settled in Southie.

I live in Austin now and believe it to be one of the best cities in the US. Not sure where you're from, but it gets hot here. Otherwise, it's almost perfect, cheap cost of living, friendly folks, lots of live and let live. The Texas legislature is batshit nuts, but for those who live in Austin full time, it's a happy, active place. I'm glad to help/advise on a move. Just shoot me an e-mail.

Mar 23, 11 10:50 am  · 
 · 
ukchomper

@maryagnes ... if my wait-list at penn works out you can have my spot at syracuse!!! BUT if not... i hope you get in then we'll be in studio!!

Mar 23, 11 10:58 am  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - Eugene is a lovely town. A bit isolated (just a bit) and not terribly large, but friendly and laid-back. I believe Rogue Brewery and McMenamin's both have pubs in Eugene, and they both brew up some wonderful elixirs, so look forward to that. You're a couple of hours away from Ashland, home to the famous year-round Shakespeare Festival, something that every human being should experience at least once in their lifetime - truly amazing. Also, Eugene is a great town for people who are lovers of the outdoors.

So, even if you don't end up in Portland, there are things to look forward to in Eugene. Good luck, and let me know if you need more info...

Mar 23, 11 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ukchomper - thanks for the offer of your spot! Hopefully, we both get what we want. Are you M. Arch I or II?

Mar 23, 11 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
ukchomper

@maryagnes - i am m.arch I 3.5 program...

Mar 23, 11 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ukchomper - I am as well, so we really may end up in studio together.

Mar 23, 11 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

Anybody have any idea how Cornell is handling their wait list? Someone on grad cafe said that they will be emailing people only after the April 15 deadline, but that just doesn't seem right. What about aid after that date? Anybody heard anything different?

Mar 24, 11 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ maryagnes- That "someone" was me. I had emailed them regarding this and that's exactly what they said- they'll start sending offers to wait listed candidates only after 15th April, by order of rank (ranked on the basis of what exactly, I have no clue). I also asked them how many candidates are on the wait list but they did not say anything in that regard. (post prof masters program candidates)

Mar 24, 11 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

Does anyone know the deposit deadline for UCLA M.Arch post prof? Is it 1st April...15th April..or later still???I'm getting tired of waiting to hear from them now...:x..:(

Mar 24, 11 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - thanks for the confirmation. It doesn't seem fair, does it? To wait until after the deadline for all other schools, I mean. I also asked how many there were, where I was on the list, and how they go through the list. But I received no answer in the reply to any of those questions. I am M. Arch I, but again, I do not know if they have separate lists for I and II. It would make sense, but since I didn't get very clear answers, I'm just so unclear as to how this process works.

Did you ask about aid for those who are offered a space? Do you know if they extend aid to those candidates? I would suspect that some will free up after those who decline leave their offered aid behind, but that's just speculation.

Mar 24, 11 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

Talk about fairness in the world of wait lists!
My speculation is that they should be having separate lists for M.Arch 1 and 2..coz they're 2 diff courses. I've already seen plenty of Cornell wait listed people (M.Arch 1&2) in gradcafe/cyburbia. I really wonder what they're upto. As for the Financial aid part, I have no clue. Didn't ask. Too many questions might piss them off, you never know (and that's definitely NOT what you wanna do right now)!:P

Mar 24, 11 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
kas2

has anyone heard anything from UCLA?

Mar 24, 11 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

I spoke to them a few days back and they said they would take 2 more weeks to send out their decision. I am so done with waiting for UCLA !!! And i read somewhere that they are on spring break and so the decision will be posted somewhere in April.
I got hold of the admission office of USC and they said they are still in the process and will take a couple more weeks to post their decision.

Mar 24, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ihatefish87 - I wasn't about to ask any more questions, either. That's why I wondered if you had asked. I definitely don't want to seem bothersome, that's for sure. I'm not as worried about aid as I am about just getting a spot, but the aid issue is certainly something to keep under consideration.

Good luck!

Mar 24, 11 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
psjp

Has anyone gotten an actual acceptance letter from UCLA yet other than the informal email?

Mar 24, 11 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
gregarious

For UCLA inquirers:
I received the 'informal email', followed by a formal acceptance letter by the dean through email and a package through mail with some literature and a physical copy of the letter emailed to me.

Mar 24, 11 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
p_11_tx

@hosa777 - How long did the admissions office at USC take to get back to you? I've emailed and called with no such luck.

That's the only school I'm waiting on. Ugh.

Mar 24, 11 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
hosa777

@p_11_tx....I tried USC's number for almost a week and it would always go to voice mail, but yesterday a lady picked the call.

Mar 25, 11 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@p_11_tx & hosa777- I had emailed USC last week. They responded saying that they'll send the decisions by post starting early April. Plus once the decisions are made they will be posted on the application status webpage. They will NOT notify unofficially via email. And they also love saying "Thank you for your patience"!!!!Grrr...

@gregarious- Could you please tell me when is the deposit deadline for UCLA...as in by when do you have to confirm that you're accepting their offer?

@maryagnes- I share the same view. Good luck to you too! Fingers crossed!!

Mar 25, 11 1:54 am  · 
 · 
bsh3

@gregarious...are you a M. Arch 1 (3yr) applicant?? On gradcafe all posters are 3 yr applicants I see. So I'm holding out hope, but not really at this point.

Has anyone been accepted to UCLA that's a M. Arch 2 (2yr) applicant?

If people are calling and saying their still deciding/going to take about 2 more weeks to send out decisions then i'm some what hopeful.

In regards to USC, I've been in contact with them and I can assure you they have yet to send out decisions. The had a mishandling of my GRE scores and they just got my application and GRE file together and that email was around Mar. 15. SO, I'm pretty sure they are just now going thru the decision making process.

Mar 25, 11 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ bsh3- are you a M.Arch (2 yr) applicant yourself?

Mar 25, 11 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
bsh3

Yea, which is why I ask. Most ppl seem to be 3 yr applicants on here maybe. Or maybe I'm just making that up ha

Mar 25, 11 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@johnlem87 - how ya doin? I see some rejections from UT Austin on grad cafe, and I was wondering if you'd heard anything yet.

Mar 25, 11 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
bs1105

Has anyone heard from the BAC yet ?

Mar 25, 11 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
sulawesi

Anyone ever hear of somebody getting accepted off the waitlist at Princeton for M.Arch I? Crossing my fingers.

Mar 26, 11 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

UCLA seems to be going through a Spring break that ends this week..as in on the 28th. So hopefully some of us will get to hear from them next week onwards.

Mar 26, 11 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
sulawesi

Never mind--I just got an email accepting me off the Princeton wait-list! Crazy timing! Can't believe it! Not sure what to do now.

Mar 26, 11 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
are you Swick?

sulawesi that's awesome! Has to come as a relief. I've never heard of that happening before - congratulations

Mar 26, 11 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
gregarious

I've been admitted to the M.Arch I (3 year program). I believe the deposit deadline is April 15 (it is for a lot of programs). I'm going to the Open House tomorrow and Monday so if I hear anything about the admission process, I will let you guys know.

Mar 26, 11 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
gregarious

I'm referring to UCLA of course.

Mar 26, 11 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
bs1105

BAC - a little different than what i used to refer to BAC as !!

Mar 26, 11 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sananda

@ gregarious- Thanks. I'm guessing the post prof course would also have the same deadline then. Hopes diminishing...:(

Mar 27, 11 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

Got an acceptance email from USC today..will receive the final deal via post. (Course- Building Science not M.Arch)
So I guess USC has FINALLY started sending out their decisions.

Mar 27, 11 10:34 am  · 
 · 
bsh3

@ihatefish87...so you applied for a different master's program?? not M. Arch?? correct?

Congrats by the way!

Mar 27, 11 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: