Archinect
anchor

Do Southern Schools translate well in NY, CA?

cipyboy

I am currently taking M.Arch 2,Postprofessional degree at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design); it is a rather good school to be in: good environment, facilities etc. I worked for around 7 years before going back to school.

I plan to live in NY or LA after graduating, so now I'm pondering of this thought: do southern school graduates play on the same playing field amongst the rest at the CA/NY job market?

Any alumni out there who wanna share their thoughts/experiences?

-Constantine

Jun 2, 10 12:29 am
Urbanist

I don't think it'll make a big difference in NY. CA can be a little provincial, in my experience.

Jun 2, 10 10:01 am  · 
 · 
do2

I mentioned this in another thread... but the NY market is flooded with ivy league grads. I think if you are coming right out of school, without any work experience then it could be tough. You mentioned 7 years of work experience, that will land you a job somewhere. Don't know much about the CA market.

Jun 2, 10 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

Harvey Specter-

I'm toying with doing a Masters in Interior Design or getting the Pre-Professional M.Arch (hopefully with advanced standing since I'm currently an architectural technologist + 2 years work experience), 

Did you like SCAD? Do people respond positively to the school name? Do you feel prepared for your career?

Thank you for any advice!

Apr 15, 15 8:42 am  · 
 · 

Shoooot!  John Hejduk was a good ole boy and a Texas Ranger.

Apr 15, 15 10:25 am  · 
 · 

The late great Bob Timme was the dean of USC.

Apr 15, 15 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Other forums will lock a thread after a set time of no activity, don't you suppose 5 years is enough?

Apr 15, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

had not noticed the date so true enough, at least this person researched the threads which most students don't

Apr 15, 15 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

I know of sever SCAD grads in NY. They say y'all but spell it ya'll. you might could too.

Apr 15, 15 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

I went to Tulane, a majority of our grads go to New York to work. That being said.... 25% of the school is from NY as well.

Apr 15, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: