Archinect
anchor

Help save Lloyd Wright's Moore House

silverlake

Required code to post an image -

Lloyd Wright's Moore House is threatened with demolition for the second time in 2 years.

The Moore House, a wholly original synthesis of his (and his father's) expressionism with the mid-century post & beam architecture popular in the region at the time, is an important example of his late late work, but is not protected by Palos Verdes.

They are accepting public comments through June 8.

Stacey Kinsella, Associate Planner
Department of City Planning
340 Palos Verdes Drive West
Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274
E-mail: skinsella@pvestates.org
Fax: (310) 378-7820
Phone: (310) 378-0383

May 29, 10 4:38 pm
silverlake

*late work, not late late work..

May 29, 10 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Might as well quote freely from the Lloyd Wright monograph by Alan Weintraub (Abrams; 1998) and show some of his photographs. But first, Lloyd Wright's original presentation rendering:

MOORE HOUSE

Palos Verdes, California, 1956

The well-publicized success of the Wayfarer's Chapel generated a number of residential commissions in the Palos Verdes area, four of which were built: the Jester house (1949L the Moore house (1956L the Bowler house (1963L and the Lombardi house (1965). The Moores were already living on the peninsula but decided they needed more space for a growing family. According to Louis Moore, it was his wife Marriott's interest in modern architecture that impelled them to hire Wright. Foremost in their wishes was a house that would take advantage of the ocean view. To this end Wright elevated the common areas-the living room, dining room, and kitchen-to the second floor and placed all the bedrooms (except for the master bedroom) downstairs. A boomerang-shaped plan maximized views along the west, ocean-facing elevation, and a second-story terrace wrapped around the front. For the main living area, Wright provided unobstructed vistas of the bay through the use of mitered glass corners, and a structural wood ring devised by Wright associate Bob Marks eliminated the need for crossbeams. The Palos Verdes Art Jury, which favored Mediterranean-style houses, objected to the use of Palos Verdes stone, the extended roof overhangs, and the house's unusual appearance, which some still liken to a spaceship. But eventually Wright prevailed, and the house was approved. Louis later recalled driving around the neighborhood to show the architect the lot he had purchased, pointing to a nearby home, and saying, "Mr. Wright, I don't want a big, square house like that one." Wright replied, with a grin, "Sir, you insult me."

May 29, 10 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

bump

Jun 8, 10 12:07 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Lloyd Wright's own studio residence also for sale. A realtor's site features some bozo representing the property by scrolling through photos on his laptop and giving a truly lame running commentary. The architect's name morphs from Lloyd Wright, to Frank Lloyd Wright, to "Frank Lloyd" before he's done. . .

Jun 8, 10 12:27 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

Why would somebody want to demolish this masterpiece? Isn't all Lloyd's buildings considered national treasure? Whats going on here? Does somebody want to take that property and build a cheesy five car garage mansion?

Jun 8, 10 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

It happens far too often. For every major architect, there are ten practitioners of comparable worth who didn't become world-renowned. Their houses are always in jeopardy from the foolishness of the ignorant wealthy.

In one Florida town this year, the last of four houses by Alfred Browning Parker was purchased and demolished for just the reasons you state.

Jun 9, 10 1:00 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

I guess so, they see more profit in building something new instead of maintaining some old architectural masterpiece thats falling apart anyway. They probably want to build some high-class condominiums or some resort there that will generate "revenue"... Crap on history, its all about money... sad, very sad.

Jun 9, 10 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

I am kind of glad the egyptians built the pyramid, of-course their reason was pretty stupid (its a grave), but at least no wealthy scumbag can just demolish them to build a golf course.

Jun 9, 10 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The houses I'm thinking of had plenty of life left in them. The location made the property highly valuable (a good site is a good site, indefinitely, if it's in the right location) and the new owners just have a different idea of what a luxury home is supposed to be.

Palm Springs lost a major Neutra to a tear-down, a couple of years ago, and it woke the community up. It's an old story. . .

Jun 9, 10 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

"Crap on history, its all about money... sad, very sad."

No offense... but that's the same line modernism (and contemporary architecture) used when talking about neoclassical, baroque, Gothic and vernacular styles.

Technically, it was ""Shame on history, its all about progress... sad, very sad." But yeah. I find it mildly ironic that concept historic preservationists started a movement to protect buildings from modernism is now being used to protect modernist buildings from post-modernist modernism!

Jun 9, 10 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Beau744

it’s not just any other modernist building babe, it’s a Frank Lloyd Wright. But interesting take
!

Apr 10, 24 5:22 am  · 
 · 
CallMeCatbread

So? This isn't the 50s. We can learn from past mistakes.

Apr 11, 24 8:54 am  · 
 · 
Beau744

Local here, 
the Paullins, the couple who bought the home,  and their tacky local architect Edward Beall have successfully added another cringe cookie cutter wanna-be-European style thing to PV. And this tacky “art board” we have here in PV. I’d like to meet these people lol. I cringe every time I walk by this home now. What’s the opposite of a hometown hero?
FLW designed homes and properties are like easter eggs here in PV and we should be so lucky to have them. (Thank you Lombardi home owners, you slay)
The glass chapel, with its future in peril due to increased land movement, would be another huge loss. Another ignorant buyer with no intention of doing research on the home they bought and the true value it had - I CRINGE!!! 

Apr 9, 24 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dawg, it’s a 14y old thread. Maybe offer to buy the house yourself if conservation is so important to you? Otherwise, the curent owners can paint it hot pink and put up stone lions if they wan to.

Apr 10, 24 7:38 am  · 
 · 
Beau744

I am a young woman who is passionate about this amazing architect. If the house was for sale I would - they’re my neighbors so I’d consider it relevant to me.

you found this post too…dawg

Apr 10, 24 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Beau744

Also they couldn’t “paint it hot pink” … it’s palos verdes and we have an art jury to approve all changes to the homes here. (See comments above) :)

Apr 10, 24 8:35 am  · 
Non Sequitur

art jury? damn, what a shame. Nothing better than have a bunch of armchair designers, soccer moms, and rich weirdos tell you what you can and cannot do with your property.

btw, posts get moved to the top of the forum list (even ancient ones) when they get commented on.  

Apr 10, 24 9:03 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

hasn't it already been demolished? and it was designed by FLW's son, not FLW.

Apr 10, 24 9:32 am  · 
 · 
Beau744

No shit. The point is going right over your head :)

Apr 10, 24 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Beau744

Different opinions / tastes for different tax brackets I suppose

Apr 10, 24 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

But my taste is better than most, so I should get to decide what others get to do.

Apr 10, 24 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Beau744 wrote:

"Different opinions / tastes for different tax brackets I suppose. Not really." 

Good or bad taste isn't limited to a particular tax bracket.

Also, you're missing point.  

Apr 10, 24 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Beau744

I am a young woman who is passionate about this amazing architect. If the house was for sale I would - they’re my neighbors so I’d consider it relevant to me.

you found this post too…dawg

Apr 10, 24 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Missed the part where the house was demolished about a year ago did you?

Apr 10, 24 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: