Archinect
anchor

NJIT vs Morgan State University

J_AFlores

im in a particular situation. I got an Associates degree from a community college in MD. i applied to NJIT for its B.arch program and also to Morgan State University. NJIT will be more expensive yet i wanted to go here cause i can get th B.arch and go work, yet they wnt take more 25 credits from my Associates, on the other hand, Morgan will take 56 credits and will be cheaper, yet after getting a bachelor of science in arch and environmental design i will have to go for Grad school and also their arch program is new its only been there for 10 yrs or so. so I would like to know what you guys think. which one will be the best option?!?! Thanks!

May 25, 10 12:27 am
DisplacedArchitect

go for the least expensive option, College does not make or break you man,

after college you learn so much more on your own.

get the 5 year degree and get licensed your future family will thank you for doing the most economical thing.

May 25, 10 2:05 am  · 
 · 
arri

Sivarch,

When you graduate and start applying for jobs no one is going to distinguish the difference between a degree from Morgan State vs. NJIT.

When you graduate and start applying for jobs no one is going to recognize the difference between a Bachelor of Architecture degree vs. a Bachelor of Science in Architecture.

my option is to study at Morgan State and pay instate tuition @ $6,600 per year. Since Morgan State will take 56 credits You can earn a Bachelor of Science in Architecture in only 2 years. In the end it will cost you $13,200 if you can live at home.

NJIT will cost you $11,300 out of state per semester with room and board add another $3,500 for a total of almost $15,000 per semester. That's almost $30,000 for the first year alone.

Maybe you can get in state tuition after the first year @ $10,800 per year plus room and board @ $7,000 for a total of $17,800

Since NJIT is only taking 25 credits you will need to study there for 4 years to earn a Bachelor of Arcitecture degree.

So you're total at NJIT will be

$30,000 for the first year
$17,800 for the second year
$17,800 for the third year
$17,800 for the forth year

$81,000 @ NJIT VS. $13,000 @ Morgan state

Since you graduated a full 2 years earlier from Morgan State you have to potential to earn $40,000 per year for 2 whole years for a total of $80,000 (if you can find a job in this economy).

So, between the difference of tuition and starting to work sooner you can save yourself a lot of money!

May 25, 10 2:23 am  · 
 · 
J_AFlores

true thanks guys, but in order to become a registered architect i will need the master degree.. maybe from University of Maryland.

May 25, 10 2:28 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

I went to NJIT so if you have any specific questions about it let me know

But a big draw for me was that it was in-state. I dont know if i would have gone if i had to pay out of state tuition

Are you sure you need to continue on for a masters degree after Morgan State? Look in to the total number of semesters it would take. If NJIT only takes half the credits, I imagine it might all even out.

I agree, definitely go the cheaper route overall. Crunch all the numbers and decide that way. It most likely will make your decision for you.

Did you talk to someone at NJIT about transfering credits? Seems odd they talk half as many as Morgan would. If you only looked online, try calling the department head or something. They may give you a completely different story in person.

May 25, 10 11:11 am  · 
 · 
J_AFlores

thanks marmkid.
before i started to look into schools i was sure i was going to go to Catholic University of America and DC, yet they would have taken the same 56 credits but it would have cost me $60,000 for 2 yrs. so i guess that if i was willing (have 3 friends there and another starting in fall '10) are willing to pay 60,000 i can pay 80,000 and be done with school, while they have to still go to Grad school.

May 25, 10 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I just emailed you back sivarch

Honestly i would seriously crunch the numbers hard and if there is a clear cut winner in that regard for you overall, I would go with that

I think most schools offer good educations, but if you can come out with as little debt as possible, you will be in that much better of a position

Name schools really dont offer much unless you are at a top name school who's alumni can get you work later on. I dont think that is really that common for 95% of the schools out there though, so i would use overall cost and eventual debt as a major deciding factor

May 25, 10 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
arri

Sivarch,
Congratulations of getting your AA degree.
I'ts great to plan your life out with a goal of becoming a registered architect. But I can tell you that being in debt for $60 or $80 grand in this industry during this economy does not make to much sense. People might argue that by the time you finally finish your school the economy will be much better, maybe.

You can be a great student at whatever university you attend. It is all on you! You have a great option of going to an instate university at little cost.

Can you image having huge debt and not being able to find a job. Can you image working 50-60 hours a week while seeing people getting laid off in your office. Its not a good feeling.

Anyway good luck with your decision!
P.s don't make/let your parents go into debt for your education (unless they are really really rich).

May 25, 10 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
J_AFlores

arri.
thats wat been thinking and i was actually reading threads about school loans debt. and i think i might have to go instate for undergrad and why not, go instate for Grad after all University of Maryland has a good Grad school.

and the part of getting my parents into my debt that will never happen. i been working since i was in HS and i worked through college to pay it off and not getting a loan at all. even though it wasn't a lot it was like 4,000 a yr and took me 3 yrs to finish, but now im looking forward to finish my education.

May 25, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
arri

sivarch,
Since you have been working since HS you understand about work and how difficult it is to save money for books, material for models and everything else you need to live.

Graduating from Morgan State with professor recommendations, with a great profolio and great grades you will be able to go to many school you want for graduate school to earn your Masters degree. Good opportunities are in front of you. where ever you go to school.

An architectural education is like a marathon. One or two more years is not a big deal through out the course of your life.

May 25, 10 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
gouthamsidharth.arch

Hi,

My name is gautham.I had applied at NJIT for my masters program in architecture.My gpa is 2.73 out of 4 , GRE 293 TOEFL 91.I have a pretty decent portfolio.What do u think are my chances .

I saw in the website that there is a 3 and a half year course for students with a non architecture related bachelores degree.But in my case I have one (completed 5 year b'arch program from Manipal Institute Of technology).So I was expecting to get a 2 year M'arch program.They said based on my portfolio and architecture background I may be able to complete it in less than 3 years.

Also If there are any students from NJIT I would like to know their experiences both academic and social.I heard Newark is a very scary and dangerous place.Since its march is it better to stay outside ?..I got admitted at New school of architecture and design at San diego ...A  private school.But my friends are asking me to wait for NJIT s decision since its a public college and an afiliated university.Is it worth the wait?....

Oct 31, 14 1:45 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I went to NJIT. Academically, they're fairly decent, and getting better; good professors and surrounding technology. Plus, any program you attend, is really about what you put into it. As for social, Newark gets a bum rap, but there are two major college campuses there; NJIT and Rutgers, so the city has a vested interest in maintaining some measure of safety on the campus. Plus, you're a fifteen minute train ride to NYC, so your social reach expands exponentially. I'd like San Diego, but I love NYC.

Go to NJIT.

Oct 31, 14 7:12 am  · 
 · 
gouthamsidharth.arch

@b3tadline....Thanks a lot for that ...even i love NYC more  , who doesnt...hope I get in....Ill update after the decision comes in!

Oct 31, 14 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: