Archinect
anchor

Deciding what college to go to.

Craftee

Greetings Archinect,

Currently I have the dilemma of trying to decide what college to pick as an incoming freshman looking to get an Architecture License/Degree.

Not saying these are my only options, but I am uncertain about these school and would like to more about them.

Going off of what I have heard from people and on the internet, Is it true that Woodbury University in Burbank is a narrow focus school?

By this I mean, that i won't get a more broad and varied education. 

I've heard that Drexel University in Philadelphia  has a bad neighborhood. ( crime?)

And that It would be difficult to find a job coming out of Drexel.

So, which University is better? Woodbury or Drexel?

Thank you for your response.

Apr 16, 14 11:46 pm
tomace522

For the most part, usually each school has larger overarching philosophies. I.E. more parametric design and/ or new structural technology experimentation (UPenn, Michigan, MIT), highly theoretical and academic (Berkeley somewhat and many east coast schools, along with SCI-ARC and UCLA), focusing on sustainable aspects of architecture (Berkeley), more in tune with social issues (Harvard, Cornell), more geared toward the profession and realistic design/ detailing etc (polytechnic schools i.e. Cal Poly, Virginia Tech).

At the same time architecture schools tend to be very similar in terms of architecture in general, just the focuses and emphasis of the philosophies can be dramatically different.

More than anything it is what you make it.  Look for the schools that are NAAB accredited (BArch, which you will need to become licensed, these are 5 year schools)

Woodbury seems to be a little more theoretical (which is fine, and arguably needed) but at the same time doesn't have a specific identity. Not sure on Drexel, I have not heard too much from them, so I would make the stretch and say more theoretical like most other east coast schools, but probably lacking a definitive identity.

Apr 17, 14 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: