Archinect
anchor

career change to architecture (from advertising)

naomik

Hello everyone.

Thank you for reading this post. I would like to ask any advice or useful info if possible.

I am 30 years old, currently work in media doing advertising related work in Japan(I’m from another Asian country), but thinking about a career change..  I would say that all the signs were there and I had many moments in my life that I should learn architecture.. but never had that courage to change the course of what I was doing.

In my country of origin, going to an architecture program needs a very high math score and perfect drawing skills and I told myself that ‘I don’t have the ability’. Eventually, I didn’t go to that ‘engineering’ route, and have a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts. So I need to start everything from the beginning.

Anyway, can anybody tell me the differences of education in Japan and the US, and rest of the countries? To save the cost, I am considering finishing Barch(4 years) or AA degree(2-3 years) in Japan while working, then possibly get into graduate school in the US. Lived in Japan now over 10 years, did my undergrad here, and have no plan to go back to my country... However, getting licenced with Japanese level 1 Kenchikushi doesn’t seem to have many benefits in terms of being recognized internationally or exchangeable in other countries… Although I would need it if I want to work in Japan.

My area of interest is residential/small commercial buildings, mostly interested in green design, nature oriented. Does anyone know a good program for these areas? When I mentioned this to one of my friends who did PhD in Arch, she told me to become a carpenter :) well, I've thought about it too... although I won't pursue it. 

Any comments/questions are welcome… will try to figure things step by step.

Apr 16, 14 10:50 am
3tk

In the US, you can go straight into an accredited 3yr MArch program and get licensed (after a few years of work).  I've known people who got an undergraduate degree in Japan to prepare to study in the US, but other than building up skills, I'm not sure if you would need to do it.

Apr 16, 14 11:04 am  · 
 · 
naomik

I guess it all comes down to whether I can pay the tuition of not.

Is there anything better about Japanese education in a particular field?

Apr 16, 14 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: