Archinect
anchor

Goodbye Upenn, headed to UIC!

back_forth

After careful consideration, I've decided to go to UIC. Upenn was my dream school, but I couldn't stomach the over 200k debt. Also, I was so sure I was attending that I gave them a deposit. After crunching numbers I sent them an email informing them that I wouldn't be able to afford attending. Received no response back. 8 hours after I sent the email I log on to the course registration upenn site and to my surprise they had already deleted me from their system! No response, not even 24 hours, they just ran with the money and indifferently erased my information without even contacting me back. I will say, that really made a bad impression on business they're running. Certainly, everyone was really friendly and responsive when I was willing to go into eternal debt for them. Anyways, I am happy to say that I am headed to UIC in the fall. Who's coming along?

Apr 11, 14 2:53 pm
On the fence

Good luck.  Probably the smarter choice.

Apr 11, 14 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Thanks! I think/hope so.

Apr 11, 14 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I just declined my admission to UIC and decided to work another year.  The professors are awesome and it seems as though everyone that graduates from there lands a job.  You aren't from an architecture background and after visiting the school I think that UIC is a great program for those who are from a different discipline.  I think you made a good choice in the end.  Plus, you will get more attention at UIC than at Penn, the average incoming M.Arch class size is about 12-18 (Penn is more like 60-70) students.  Were you at the open house? 

Apr 11, 14 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

What made you decline C.Watts? I wasn't aware that the M.Arch class was that small which is awesome! I didn't go to the open house because I attended the prospective student open house and I was set on going to Upenn. 

Apr 11, 14 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I came from an arch background and for me, personally, UIC was little too heavy into the theory for my taste (and I came from a theory school).  I really thought I was going to love it and end up attending, but It just didn't feel like a fit while I was visiting.  It was a hard decision, but the experience made me realize that I need to continue working and think further on what I want to accomplish and focus on in graduate school.  Next step for me is finding a new job that is NOT in Kentucky. And of course tweaking my portfolio and statement so I can start the process all over again ;)

Apr 11, 14 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Oh yeah, get out of Kentucky and get some experience in a bigger city! Not only would you be able to get a job with a diverse portfolio but living in a bigger metropolis would provide a wealth of cultural knowledge along with some great exposure. Good luck!

Apr 11, 14 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
WanderLust

HP I've been lurking around the site and have spotted you on a couple of other threads..I think you're making an extremely smart decision here. I can imagine how heartbreaking it must be to pass on the school of your dreams because of the money factor. But the future looks far brighter and lighter without 200k in debt, doesn't it? You'd be able to travel, experiment with jobs, get a car, maybe even put down an advance on a house someday! I'm sure you'll do exceedingly well at UIC. I just turned down their offer in favor of another school where I think I'd be a better fit, but I was very seriously considering it - they seem to be moving in exciting new directions under Bob Somol, and Chicago is a great city for our field! 

Apr 11, 14 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

@ Cwatts

Move to Cal , get that instate tuition , ha 

Apr 11, 14 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

@AppleMartini

It does. Don't get me wrong, I will still accrue some debt, but nothing close to 200k. I also figured that if I wanted to I could do a post grad program at an ivy league school if I wanted further down in my career. Good luck with your school as well!

Apr 11, 14 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

@ROB4

You bet!!  I will be applying to offices in LA area, San Fran, San Diego, etc. etc. One year full time is in-state $$$$

@Hp87

Seriously though, the office I work for now mainly does projects in eastern and southern KY (quick geography lesson, this is the more small town hillbilly parts of Kentucky, which are full of nice people, but anything too modern or contemporary really freaks them out...) As you can imagine, things get a little dull...  I've been ready to move on for a while now.  Hopefully I can make a big change and get to the west coast.  Good luck at UIC, you will do great!

Apr 11, 14 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
SeriousQuestion

Bravo.

Good call, and good luck.

Apr 11, 14 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

@SeriousQuestion

I knew you would be pleased. :P

Apr 11, 14 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
SeriousQuestion

Frankly, I had given up on you when you reported the Penn deposit.  Thank goodness you re-thought the decision before school was actually underway.  Also, Penn's behavior doesn't surprise me in the slightest!  Have a good summer and get rested before school starts.

Apr 11, 14 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

I understand completely. I won't lie, it was hard for me to let go, but I do believe it's for the better. Since I was so supportive of the 'incurring debt for your dream school' issue I felt it was necessary for me to report back my final decision. Have a good summer as well!

Apr 11, 14 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: