Archinect
anchor

Princeton vs. WUSTL

Lindacat33

Hi, I am struggling in deciding which schools to go for MArch I. I get offers from Princeton (3 yrs) and WUSTL (2.5 yrs). Both of them are good schools, but they have different pedagogy. I heard that Princeton is more theory-oriented, while WUSTL is more practical.

I checked their portfolios. WUSTL students' designs are believable and build-able, while Princeton students' designs are more conceptual. I like conceptual designs and I think Princeton students' drawings are very appealing. However, I am not sure if it will be easier to find a job with practical training? There are some rumors: companies prefer the WUSTL students due to practicality. Most companies do not like Princeton students because they talk too much and not able to make things work. I am not sure if they are somewhat true???

All I want is a happy campus life - interesting things to learn, caring tutors and 8 hours of SLEEP. I enjoy nice drawings and funny ideas. And I have difficulties in theory modules, especially readings and essays. That's why I hesitate to go Princeton. I am afraid I cannot survive in the theory classes...But Princeton design looks fun!

Does anyone have insights on career opportunities, pressure level and campus life about these two schools? I am looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!!!

Apr 5, 14 1:08 am
nocturne

First of all, congratulations!  

However, and I don't mean to be rude by any means, but I had two reactions to this question.  My first reaction was what is WUSTL? (of course I know now from googling) and my second was, if you have to ask, go to WUSTL.

I'm sorry to be vague.  I think these two reactions speak to a lot of different issues.  It has always been a huge assumption that Princeton is only academic and theoretical. Yes, the school produces really good academics, but a lot of students go on to practice.  Also, consider that a large amount of their permanent faculty are very successful, practicing alumni.

It is still important to consider your own well being in terms of where you will be most happy (social life, location, sleep etc....though anywhere you go for architecture, sleep will be a rarity).  Going with your gut is a good indication but don't be impulsive.  Wherever you go, as an architecture student (especially as a first time architecture student) your classmates will be family.  Surround yourself with people who inspire and support you.  Grad school is largely what you make of it.  Attend open houses and get a sense of the school and the student body.  Good luck!

Apr 5, 14 2:31 am  · 
 · 
lataco

WUSTL

Apr 5, 14 4:38 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Both schools want an excessive amount of money for tuition. Princeton has the better overall school reputation; I would go to Princeton. Also, you might meet some coed whose father owns half of Connecticut or something and you could find yourself doing architecture as a pleasant hobby between yachting trips on Long Island Sound and the Caribbean. The Mediterranean is nice too, or so I am told.

Apr 5, 14 9:07 am  · 
 · 
3tk

WUSTL - doesn't have the brand that P does out east, but a very reputable program none the less; they also have a more diversity in access to the other related fields within the Sam Fox School (LA, UP, etc).

As for Volunteer's comments on rich kids, WUSTL isn't short of those either...

and 8 hrs of sleep is rather optimistic, though doable if you manage your out of school life really well.

Apr 5, 14 11:38 am  · 
 · 
SeriousQuestion

Isn't Princeton free, and doesn't it offer students a living stipend?  Or has the gravy train come to an end?

Apr 5, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I am the guy who normally recommends state schools but if you are going to pee away a fortune might as well get the most status bang for the buck 'cause that is really what you are buying. My roommate in the Air Force was from St. Louis burbs; the blood would drain from his face when he talked about the winters there. No way was he ever going back.

Apr 5, 14 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Nevah-Wen

Not to be pedantic, Volunteer, but WUSTL is not a state school.

Apr 8, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Princeton has a smaller class size and you will have more one on one with professors.  I'm personally not impressed with WUSTL, knowing the skills of some students that were accepted there. 

Apr 8, 14 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Nevah-Wen, I am aware of that. The point I was trying to make without too much verbiage is that between a state school and a very expensive private school I would normally recommend the state school to avoid excessive and crippling student debt. In this case the tuitions are roughly similar between the two private schools but the overall reputation of Princeton is far, far greater so I would recommend Princeton.

Apr 8, 14 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: