Archinect
anchor

Confessions of an Architect

stephanie

jesus christ get over your dick!
it isn't exactly respectful to tell someone ridiculous stories to get them to sleep with you.

Dec 20, 04 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

...and I wouldn't think that means she wants to hang out with you in toronto per your 'toronto posting'. Just in case you thought it was flirting or something.

Dec 20, 04 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

ok...stephanie...i was kidding!
you think someone would sleep with another person just because they're 'an architect'? hmmmmm...?

oh, and by the by steph., did i mention that i'm an architect? wink

Dec 20, 04 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

confession:
i am a feminist. and right now seem to be going through a bout of "anti-male" vibes....

Dec 20, 04 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

s.s.boy:
good luck slaying the tang in toronto!

Dec 20, 04 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

god bless us, everyone!

Dec 20, 04 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

stephanie...you're too much! i'm just having some fun. lol.

Dec 20, 04 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

me too!

Dec 20, 04 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

second using architecture for tang.

i worked on a competition of a rather large scale, and had a couple going at. it wasn't noticeable unless you got close enough.

this detail was not apparent until i pointed it out... after we won...

Dec 21, 04 2:15 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

so stephanie: what's you're sign?

confession #2...i'm an architect 50+ wotk hours a week, but i like the ladies!

Dec 21, 04 8:08 am  · 
 · 
betamax

i work for a man who goes to great lengths to convince clients with small budgets that faux antique gold finish on wood trim is the right way to go. i saw that and wanted to puke after i stabbing my eyes out with the point ends of elmers white glue bottles.

help. please help.

Dec 21, 04 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

captain EO, start drawing the Modulor man on all of your drawings as a scale figure.

Dec 21, 04 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
isnen

i wish i knew how much an architects make before i moved in usa
its to late now, i already graduated.
and the by the way my husband is an architect too!!!!!!

thanks god my sister will be a doctor!!!

Dec 21, 04 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

OOOOOOHH, that would put rock in his biscuit....

he actually, seriously offered to do the faux-ing himself, literally. spraypaint maroon, spray paint gold, and brush with steel wool.

barf, fart, and gag.

Dec 21, 04 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
graspin

my friends think i'm rich.

Dec 21, 04 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

i'm not doign much today.

Dec 22, 04 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
ArchAngel

I've spent the last two days severely exgerrating my moderately conservetive political views simply for the sake of argument and introspection.

Dec 22, 04 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Litre1

The last CD I purchased was Tim McGraw.

I would rather wear plaid than a black turtleneck.

I'm from Tennessee but that has nothing to do with it... I think.

I don't complain about work when I get home because I would have to think about work to complain about it, and I want to spend as little time thinking about it as possible.

I would rather design motorcycles than buildings.

I designed my garage and had someone else build it. I still have not finished the interior. I'm hiring someone to rebuild my deck. Oh yeah, I guess I missed the first confession--I live in house built in the 80's in the 'GASP' suburbs!

Dec 22, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i live in one of the worst neighborhoods (the ghetto, gasp) in a beautiful older townhouse. my hood is the butt of a lot of jokes around the office. sure theres crackheads next door that cuss and work on cars all night and live off welfare and lots of minorities that don't speak the language but i love it regardless, or perhaps because of... anyways, people are too good to even drive thru it and shun it like it has nothing to with them. they avoid it like the plague.
and then secretly i make fun of them for living out by the mall in their tidy little yuppie split levels with their basement rec rooms.

Dec 22, 04 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

you ever see bowling for columbine? well, i live in the 'ghetto' of canada (according to mr. moore).
and the place is a garden of goodness! we've got it good up here!

Dec 23, 04 8:33 am  · 
 · 
icedragon

i am not an architech, I am a theologian. I love architecture espically the design aspect. Like george kastanza I wish i was an architech. I have been afraid to even attempt architecture becuase of the following reason
1. It's too intimidating - i feel stupid around architech even though i absolutely love what they do
2. The fear of working 70 hours a week- ah that scares me
3. The cost involved- boy that really scares me-
4. not beable to make any money.
5. having no experinace just desire.
with.
6. I i don't have a strong science backgroung.
7. I don't have strong art skills. all though i have great ideas. I just can't brign them into reality. I have to hire a designer . those can be learned.
Maybe its all parinoia,but that's why i join the site. you guys are great

P.S. I LOVE THIS SITE

Dec 29, 04 10:44 am  · 
 · 
icedragon

i am not an architech, I am a theologian. I love architecture espically the design aspect. Like george kastanza I wish i was an architech. I have been afraid to even attempt architecture becuase of the following reason
1. It's too intimidating - i feel stupid around architech even though i absolutely love what they do
2. The fear of working 70 hours a week- ah that scares me
3. The cost involved- boy that really scares me-
4. not beable to make any money.
5. having no experinace just desire.
with.
6. I i don't have a strong science backgroung.
7. I don't have strong art skills. all though i have great ideas. I just can't brign them into reality. I have to hire a designer . those can be learned.
Maybe its all parinoia,but that's why i join the site. you guys are great

P.S. I LOVE THIS SITE

Dec 29, 04 10:44 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

icedragon: become an 'architectural designer'. no training, and if someone is willing to take a chance on you, you're involved. read, draw, enter competitions...all will expand you design skills, and give you feedback into what's cool, current and feasable.

ps...i'm going to get my mba in september. you can have my m.arch if you'd like. lol.

Dec 29, 04 10:57 am  · 
 · 
icedragon

do you know where I might be able to find someone to take a chance?

Dec 29, 04 11:00 am  · 
 · 
setsquareboy

i strongly suggest reading...researching a type/style that interests you. might i suggest sall scale residential? try an understand what's involved...local/city permits, approvals, et all. find out how things are built...start small.

apply some of these principals in compitition work. explore. build a small portfolio of interesting residential work. and build a website...demonstrating you ideas/abilities.

you might have people inquiring about you and your availability.

Dec 29, 04 11:06 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

icedragon, as a theologian, try church communities - they usually have very little money to spend and would welcome some pro bono design work. Of course, if they want to build anything involving structure, they'll need an architect. But I assume you have a background in religious symbolism and liturgy, so you bring that to the table along with your design ideas.

You might volunteer on a church building committee that is starting work with an architect for an addition project or something - that way you could learn through the process.

I work with a lot of churches, and to offer you a flip view - I'd love to have more knowledge of theology!

Dec 29, 04 11:11 am  · 
 · 

sometimes, all I want to do is lay on my couch and read...
(ok, this is rather a lot of the time)

Also, I love postmodern theory, but hate postmodern buildings.

Dec 29, 04 11:21 am  · 
 · 
icedragon

maybe we can help each other. I love talking about both

Dec 29, 04 11:26 am  · 
 · 

have you figured out why buildings based on such great ideas turn out so ugly yet? I'm still pondering that... my only guess is that it's because architects think so little of the people around them that they feel that this ugliness is all they will be able to relate to and understand. But I really don't like this idea, I'd rather think a bit better thoughts of architects as a group, so I'm unwilling to say that's definitely it.

Dec 29, 04 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
frenchcurls

i'm new here - just discovered the site tonight.

I don't know how I work - even after 8 years in the field (including school...)
I work on cad and then I feel bogged down so I sketch in plan but then its not precise so then ... I actually feel my heart racing and all.
everybody else know what they're doing, or at least they know what works for them.
I DON'T!!!
does anybody else feel like that?
do I need a shrink?

Jan 18, 05 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

I made love to a blob.

Jan 19, 05 12:24 am  · 
 · 
ross

-I think mies is overrated

-I fell asleep at a robert venturi lecture (lack of sleep, I promise)

-I have a 5 minute walk to a grocery store, but still drive

Jan 19, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
joe entrada

i'm not an architect but i pretend to be one on archinect.com

Jan 19, 05 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
too degrading

i envy contractors

i respect my engineers

i can't read french

i stress out when i need to consult the UBC

i hate house design - i just don't give a rat's ass

trust fund would have been better than this shit

do all bosses over 40 get botox? or is this just a major city kinda thing

magazines are better than buildings (pace muschamp)

i killed a client who mentioned FLW in my presence

Jan 20, 05 5:33 am  · 
 · 
eu80

I work for a developer.

I got to design my own business card so I put "Designer" as my title but in reality I act as a project manager (among other things). So - I'm not getting IDP but getting great experience. I don't draft so I still can't draw a wall section but I do know how to hire people who know how to put a building together.

The biggest confession - because of the lack of IDP and the fact that hopefully a child is in the near future I will probably not get licensed.

And here's another - It will be alright for me because I can just take advantage of my husband's license while I run the development branch of our future firm. I'm stuck in a personal battle between practicality and feminism.

Jan 20, 05 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
dioscuri

why confess when every architect already has a guilt complex associated w/their repressed desires towards utopia and individual expression?

Jan 20, 05 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

eu80:
you can be a feminist and practical! you also dont HAVE to get licensed, or go through IDP, depending on your state, you can take the exams after so many years of working with an architect.

confession: 3:30 rolled around and we started drinking beer at work, an hour and two beers later and i feel buzzed...what happened to my tolerance?
i also have nothing to do, and thus am surfing the 'nect

Jan 20, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

wow beer at work, talk about utopia

confession: i went on my end of the yr vacation to a private beach in south of peru, where i had designed all my plan to launch my office as an independent architect in 2005 and hopefully become very successful in architecture, design and construction, beer after beer, hoping a tsunami wouldnt come and shatter all my plans.

came bac to my city and got offered a job as design director for a publlic facilities and parks office......great pay

i wasnt man enough to decline

Jan 20, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
as'per'usual

I really want to meet Per

Jan 21, 05 4:20 am  · 
 · 
biomec

i am a design snob..... an overall prick.i love to rip people apart at a crit and always anticipate the same.... yet all i get are blank stares....
and i too plan on ditching the globe with all my loans to design in another galaxy....without gravity.... and im sick and tired of professors that claim to be critical practitioners that cant have a dialouge with you about your design.....damn....ive been up for 3 days redefining architecture and all you had to say has been reduced a ball of saliva foam at the corner of your mouth..... grrrrrr....... this place is killing my soul........

Jan 22, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi
Then emagine you keep repeating that this is about method that what you show is to show what is possible, that you are a designer that make building methods and everyone shuld be glad, now it can produce just what you want ----- and then another nosay say "I don't like your designs they are all to much retro 70 like" -----
This can drive you nuts --- saying again and again "don't judge my designs, look at the method , emagine what you yourself now can create, and even make the computer work.
Life of a designer.

Jan 22, 05 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
rehabproject

whow... architecture in french ! rehabproject.org

Jan 22, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i as well meet per like.

Jan 22, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I feel like a misanthrope
sometimes i hate our profession, but then i also hate engineers and doctors
I hate all schools

And i love fast cars

Jan 22, 05 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

I must agrea that I feel very attracted to the mashinery in it, the tools those that make the thing Im'e addicted to my old CalComb pen plotter and now I just found this, --- described as an "academic monument" anyway this monster projector now taken care of, carry a 800mm Leitz lens that make any Leica an Agfa box caera compared .

True 3D-Honeycomb isn't enough. this facinating projector take slides and pictures on paper and blow it uo to 3,5x3,5 meter in the finest quality ever possible .

Jan 23, 05 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
as'per'usual

Per, we've been over this before..... dear oh dear....

Have you heard of Mary Shelley?

And in particular her novel, Frankenstein.

Trying to create something beautiful, but you end up creating a monster.....

The monster being a hulk of honeycomb!!!!!!!

It's going to kill us all

Jan 24, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
ideo

i cann't speak english fluently...the shame...

Jan 24, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

I value this academic monument -- not my words but true this projector simply are the top, the lenses are from same factory that made the Leica 35mm. camera, still this is 800 mm. above and 400 mm. lenses at bottom Now if I couldn't value somthing that acturly make a Leica an Agfa box camera lenses compared ,what else shuld I then value if not the top of the best. Btw I don't compare myself with other people.
Anyway when I explore new options I don't ask myself about other peoples opinion anyway who you are ,and what you want reflect the wishes in your words and that is not even about creating creating beautifull things, would you even feel anything for anything, if you can't find joy exploring some technology esp that quality , top of the world in it's right, --- guess "Confessions of an architect happily don't affect me as I am a designer not an architect.

Jan 24, 05 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i'd rather be an interior designer

Jan 24, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I cry in the mornings cause I don't want to come to work I hate it so much.

Jan 24, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: