Archinect
anchor

Automatic marking machine for construction.

interius74

The idea is about the robotic printing machine that can automatically print out DWG file-based architecture plan such as Auto CAD file on a construction site in 1 to 1 scale so that construction workers can easily build up dry wall along with the printed lines without an interpretation of construction document and marking process by themselves. The printing system is expected to lessen an error of conventional way in measurement that is manually operated by man. In addition, the system can standardize and control the quality of construction by system-itself, not depending on contractor's skill. The printing machine can save budget through decreasing time and labor for constructions. The system will expedite the construction process for heavy industry, civil engineering, and architecture with an innovative way. If you are in hurry, please watch the video after 1:20.

Feb 9, 14 1:08 pm

Are all buildings in Halfwittia made entirely out of drywall? And how did that floor deck get there without your layout robot? 

Feb 9, 14 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I'd like to see that roll of plotter paper. Must cost a g*amn fortune in plotting fees. Wonder what happens when the interns draw the walls at random thicknesses like they usually do.
Feb 9, 14 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I want an automatic measuring machine....for doing field measuring.  You know something you sit down on the floor and it tells you all of the dimensions of the room and how out of square the room is. Ceiling heights and variations in ceiling heights. Locates all the electrical outlets and light switches, mechanical fresh air grills and return air grills.  measures all the doors and windows and access panels if they exist. Then it puts it into some sort of readable format.  Oh ya and it has to look  Like it was designed  by Mr Vacuum Dyson.  

Feb 9, 14 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Snooker, they have those 3-d laser scanners. Only $150k plus. From what I hear, they actually pay for themselves, once you get into the business of 3-d laser scanning. Of course they aren't as smart as you suggest...
Feb 9, 14 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
invorticles

Every year there are a number of fire explosions and accidents recorded from all over the United States which raises an important question asking to which extent are the citizens of the United States fully safeguarded from such undesired accidents and events taking countless valuable lives.

Feb 25, 14 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i'd like to see that snook.  also, have it be able to work around clutter, rooms that are used to store things like vacated workstations, work around people in occupied spaces, etc.

this might be the future:

http://www.google.com/atap/projecttango/

Feb 25, 14 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Donatello D'Anconia

Everyone,

My favorite part is how you all tear apart a speculative project without offering any positive critique, way to build the profession.

I think this idea is more interesting than the video let's on. The idea that we can have 1:1 representation in the field would be really useful, why not nix the robot and go straight to augmented reality?

Feb 25, 14 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Why not just use a total station which already does this?

Even if this machine could do this, the stakes are so huge, I don't know anyone who would just allow a robot to layout their job. You'd still have to have someone there making sure that the machine wasn't kicked off course or that all of a sudden it started laying out spirograph style. 

I would also like to know what happens when dimension busts or conflicts are encountered. How is the top plate transfered?

Feb 25, 14 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Let's take a problem that doesn't exist and fix it with technology, unemploying people along the way.

How's that for a positive critique?

Feb 25, 14 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Donatello D'Anconia

Still sounds negative, maybe it's your conservative nature or lack of imagination?

Instead of carrying around a set of construction drawings, wouldn't it be a lot more efficient if one could simply walk around the construction site and view the architecture model in augmented reality?

Feb 25, 14 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

"Instead of carrying around a set of construction drawings..."

Whoa whoa WHOA........I feel cool carrying drawings around.  Sounds like you want me to not feel cool.

Feb 25, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i wouldn't mind seeing a little robot make big drawings on a fresh concrete slab.  even if it did have to be verified, i still think it could be useful for laying out interior partitions in new construction.  it certainly isn't worse than a contractor scaling a drawing with their steel tape.

also, it would be cool if it had a spirograph setting.  those were awesome.

also, i have big hopes for augmented reality.  we can make an ap for the occulus rift that will show us what the contractor sees when doing the punch list, instead of what's actually there.

Feb 25, 14 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
invorticles

This is really very impressive!

Feb 26, 14 9:04 am  · 
 · 

++ curtkram occulus rift 

I think Donatello has one of those.

Feb 26, 14 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Donatello D'Anconia

I do ;)

Maybe you should give one a try before you pretend to know what you are talking about...

Feb 26, 14 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Why not just cut to the chase and outfit all construction personnel with head-mounted VR displays that overlay layered 3D models on the actual construction?

Of, wait, because buildings will be 3D printed and labor will be obsolete. Except for robotic painters, of course.

Feb 26, 14 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

I'm thinking about using a 3D printer to print out another 3D printer.   Freee-keh!

Feb 26, 14 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Donatello D'Anconia

Again Miles,

If you don't have a positive critique, why do you feel the need to comment? Are you so unaccomplished  in your career that the only voice you have to offer is plithy comments on architecture forums?

I think outfitting everyone on a job site with Augmented reality equipment would be extremely beneficial. You could take it a step further and include remote site visits through the aid of VR equipment.

Feb 26, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i wonder, if you had a self-replicating printer, would it keep making small errors that mutated itself through natural selection to a point where it would actually have sentience?

Feb 26, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

After only a couple of generations it would certainly have more sentience than Donatello, who can't seem to remove his head from this ass.

Feb 26, 14 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, Donatello the sculpture, the turtle, or the above commentator?

More on point, I can barely get our trades to put things in the right places even with clear black & white instructions. I do not want to see the mess on site when people start swinging hammers in VR space like some sort of arcade game.

Feb 26, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

The deadly Amtrak crash in NY last fall was caused by an engineer who passed out. The automatic braking device installed to eliminate a second engineer (and his salary and benefits) proved somewhat less than reliable.

We should apply this kind of thinking to design and construction.

Feb 26, 14 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Donatello D'Anconia

Miles,

Can you explain how my speculative form of architectural representation is going to take away jobs? I am not proposing an automated process, but a visual tool that can overlay a digital model onto as is construction.

Again your plithy comments are emphasizing your bitterness at being so unaccomplished in your career, hopefully getting some steam out on these forums will give you the peace you need.

Feb 26, 14 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

You two guys want me to print out some dueling pistols on my 3D printer?

Feb 26, 14 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

There is a CAD file for that somewhere.

Feb 26, 14 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

No need Saint, Donny's firing blanks. In a few minutes he'll probably be slinging tammuz-style vulgarity.

maybe it's your conservative nature or lack of imagination

you pretend to know what you are talking about

your plithy comments are emphasizing your bitterness at being so unaccomplished in your career

Funny how you respond to critique of your idea with personal attacks. However you do get extra points for your complete ignorance. LOL

FYI the word is "pithy", and it seems you misused it. It means precisely meaningful; forceful and brief, which I take as a compliment.

Also critique means a critical estimate or discussion. Stay out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat. 

Feb 26, 14 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

I can see the use of occulus rift in our field.  Instead of taking the client to the field, you take the field to the client.  It would be pretty cool to get a virtual walk through.  You'd have to do a good job of your 3d model though, otherwise your 3d tour would seem like something off of a poorly made crye leike online tour.

Feb 26, 14 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
boccioni

Where is all this emotion coming from?

Conceptually: Back in the day, (I wasn't there, but I read about it) two guys would walk around with a tape measure. Now one guy walks around with a GPS locator on large, complex projects. The guy who used to hold the other end of the tape is now doing something else. If there was a device that located everything, then the guy who currently holds the GPS locator would find a new job.

This is not a new concept. Conceptually this is the same as globalization. Other people (in this case machines) do the job that people used to do. The people who lost their jobs have to adapt to find new niches. 

A crazy person might even call this progress.

Feb 26, 14 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Donatello D'Anconia

Miles,

You are correct, I used/spelled the word wrong. This aside, can you point out my ignorance regarding the use of augmented reality in architecture?

Maybe I should say productive critique instead?

Feb 26, 14 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm sorry, you're right, it's a great idea. You should put everything you have into it. 

Feb 26, 14 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Boeing uses augmented reality with the 787 Dreamliner. All buildings should have the same success and development costs, but, unlike the Dreamliner, be one offs.
Feb 26, 14 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Typically you need to be Board Certified to augment reality.............am I right, Miles?   Combining threads now....    Rimshot!

Feb 26, 14 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I augment my reality with bourbon. (2nd thread combine)
Feb 27, 14 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: