Archinect
anchor

Grad School for Urban Design

a_person

Hi:

I think I need a bit of help here. I am a B-Arch degree holder with around 3 and half years of experience. Working with small to large companies on a bit of Railway projects in Africa, Offices tower in China, stadium Projects etc etc. I was mainly worked on SD stages which means I am not so good at detailing etc etc. Graduated in the States but most of my experience are in Asia.
Ok. Make the story super short.

What I am trying to do is to go for a 1 year Master degree in Urban design. I don't have a high GPA only 3.45 and I want to get into a school that does not require GRE. Which I know Columbia U doesn't require or even schools in Europe.

I am trying to find the ranking for Urban design and a world school list in UD but I couldn't find one. Is there such a list for UD? There are a few things I would love to achieve before my 30 and getting a master degree in UD is one of them.

Open for any suggestion at this moment and it would be great if someone graduated with a master in urban design could give me some feed back on what was their GPA for the grad school and years of experience etc etc and whatz the paths after graduate.

I know it might be even harder to get into Grad school now because of the econ downhill. But still would like to give it a try because working long hours at work in architecture does make me feel a bit lost and wana check out something new.

Thanks

Sep 20, 09 3:54 am
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Although they require the GRE, I would strongly require the Master of Science in Architecture at the University of Maryland. It is a post professional degree for which you can focus on Urban Design. I cannot remember the magazine, but Maryland was ranked one of the top three programs in Urban Design, Notre Dame and UMiami being the other two.

Best

http://www.arch.umd.edu/architecture/academics/degree_programs/graduate/ms_arch.cfm

Sep 20, 09 8:55 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

After searching for new urbanism schools on Google, I found the following:

http://www.newurbannews.com/NUBestSchoolsJanFeb06.html

The top six schools attended by recent hires at new urbanist firms also ranked the highest in the subjective “best schools” category. The ranking was almost identical for both categories: Miami, Notre Dame, Maryland, University of Michigan and Andrews University (tie for fourth), and University of California/Berkeley in the “recent hires” category; and Miami, Notre Dame, Maryland, Michigan, California/Berkeley, and Andrews and University of Pennsylvania (tie for sixth) in the “best schools” category.

Sep 20, 09 9:05 am  · 
 · 
grid

But who really wants "new urbanism"? I say find a list that doesn't only include schools practicing new urbanism.

Sep 20, 09 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
a_person

I am looking for a master of science of architecture and urban design and seems like thats not a lot of skool in US doing that. I could just find Columbia and thats about it.

I am also looking for a one year programe caz I don;t wana spend some much time and money for skool anymore.

Sep 21, 09 1:41 am  · 
 · 
EdgewoodAnimal

I think Geogia Tech has a program similar to what you are looking for.

http://www.coa.gatech.edu/graduate/ms_ud/index.php

Sep 21, 09 8:07 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Do any of the top schools promote experimentation? I doubt a Maryland UD program and a Columbia UD program are similar...

Sep 21, 09 11:17 am  · 
 · 
jaymo24

there's not really a lot of schools here in the US that offers UD programs. here's a short list.

http://www.urbandesign.org/universities.html
hope this helps.

i just started the UD program at NYIT and so far we're liking it. some have 3-5 yrs of experience and some just graduated from college. my undergrad GPA was 3.3, so yours is much better lol.

good luck.

Sep 22, 09 12:06 am  · 
 · 
larchitecture

I've been accepted to both Michigan and Texas for a Masters in Urban Design. Anyone have experience in either of these programs? The in-state tuition at UT would seem to make it an obvious choice, but there are a number of other factors at play. Also, I mean, it's Michigan...

Feb 25, 17 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: