Archinect
anchor

Aboriginal or Native Housing

bigblobs

Trying to find some info on housing projects for 'aboriginal' or 'native' peoples.

Know of any?

Feb 21, 09 9:12 pm
randomized
Feb 22, 09 6:40 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Feb 22, 09 6:42 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Feb 22, 09 6:43 am  · 
 · 
randomized
Feb 22, 09 6:46 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Feb 22, 09 6:47 am  · 
 · 
randomized
Feb 22, 09 6:48 am  · 
 · 

in oz iredale pedersen hook have done some.
look under projects - desert

Feb 22, 09 7:29 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I helped make an igloo a few weeks ago. Seriously ingenius design, without calculators or 3D models (or electricity).

Feb 22, 09 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

mongolian yurt:

Feb 22, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Native American shelters:

Feb 22, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

You might want to visit this site for scaled architectural drawing of a
Long House. http://www.nysm.nysed.gov/IroquoisVillage/buildingmodel.html#c

Feb 22, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
bigblobs

What about contemporary projects that translate tradition to the now?

Feb 23, 09 2:43 am  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

Contemporary, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Historic recreations of this sort don't seem to win awards. For precedents, you might want to check this book: Shelter

Feb 23, 09 10:02 am  · 
 · 
tambi

Troppo Architects (Australia) have done some indigenous housing projects. If you can get hold of it 'Take 2: Housing Design in Indigenous Australia' is a journal produced by the RAIA it will give you some basic insight and would be a good starting point.
Paul Pholeros is an architect who has done a lot of great work in this area and has also collaborated with public health professionals to produce the "National indigenous housing guide : improving the living environment for safety, health and sustainability"
Also check out the writing/work of Paul Memmott at the University of Queensland.
Architecture Australia has had articles on various projects from time to time as well.

Cheers

Feb 24, 09 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Dogon Country, Mali Ginna ( Family House)

Feb 26, 09 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

look at Murkutt's work he employs some OZ native strategies, and he explained how they differ from other native cultures based on the unique climate. make sure to do everything backwards and in reverse solar orientation wise

Architect Glenn Murcutt designed a house for an extended Australian Aboriginal family located in the Yirrkala Aboriginal settlement near Gove in Arnhem Land. The house has a series of six steel portal frames the carry a deck. There is also a pitched metal roof supported on hardwood purlins. The exterior is made of marine ply or slatted tallow-wood shutters. The design is a contemporary reinterpretation of the traditional Aboriginal shelter.

The Australian Aboriginals have had awful difficulties in coming to terms with living in a country dominated by an urban, industrial culture

Feb 26, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

This topic has always been interesting to me. Their views of ownership and boundaries, and how that affects their built environments are fascinating to say the least.

Feb 26, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I don't have it in front of me so I can't be 1000% sure that this is the right book, but if it is, it's a good basic (emphasis on basic) start:

Schoenauer, Norbert. Introduction to Contemporary Indigenous Housing.
Montreal: Porter Books, 1973.

You can read it in an hour, and what's interesting about it is that it's not just drawings or photos, but the text explains why certain types of housing came to be, in relation to social patterns, agriculture, and settlement. Very easy to understand but I still learned a lot, and I quite like this topic.

Feb 26, 09 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: