Archinect
anchor

Art/Arch Supplies for 1st year M.Arch

k_cous

So this is my first posting, I've searched through the discussions but didn't find anything related to what supplies to buy for the first year. More to the point my question is:

What supplies should I get to be prepared for grad school in the fall (M.Arch)?? I currently work in an art store / bookstore and I get a discount so I'm trying to conserve on spending.

Thanks

Feb 12, 09 10:03 am
Minnow

An architects scale.
A lot of trace paper. Buy it in a roll, I prefer the tan colored but that's a personal preference, unless your studio professor hates it, I'd say it's a safe bet.
Cork backed metal rulers.
Notebooks with graph paper, I liked using these for taking notes in class, good for writing and sketching.
That's all I can think of for now, hope this helps!

Feb 12, 09 10:25 am  · 
 · 
k_cous

It does, thanks a lot!

Feb 12, 09 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Aaron Plewke

model making:
-cork backed straight edges (metal rulers) - size is up to you, but I like to have a 12" and a 24"
-olfa knife (w/refills)
-x-acto knife (w/refills)
-self-healing cutting mat
-white glue (not elmers, but sobo or aleens or similar craft brand...they're tackier than elmers)
-crazy glue (many prefer zap-a-gap, i prefer quick-tite gel, both are fine)
-since you have a discount it wouldn't be the worst idea to preemptively buy some chipboard, matte board, bristol paper, foam core, bass wood, plexi, acetate or other similar materials that could foresee building with.

drawing:
-lead holders (w/lead refills)
-mechanical pencils (for quicker and less finely crafted drawings)
-erasers (soft white and kneaded)
-drafting brush
-drafting board (?)
-scale (architect and engineer)
-inking pens*
-ink eraser
-eraser shield
-roll(s) of mylar
-rolls of trace, different widths
-rolls of vellum, different widths

-triangles (a 30-60-90, and an adjustable, and maybe also a 45)
*check out the fancy rapidograph pen sets, probably made by koh-i-noor, and also check out the cheaper micron or staedler pens. the rapidograph pens are wonderful, the ink is super black, and if you take good care of them, they'll last a long time and warrant their relatively high price (they require regular cleaning, ink refills, occasional replacement of tips, etc.) the cheaper throw-away ink pens by micron, staedler et al work fine, although the ink isn't as absolutely black, and of course, when they dry out, they're trash.

miscellaneous:
-markers (prismacolor, sharpies, etc), colored pencils, sketch book, acrylic paint, watercolor paper (arches or similar)...
-a tackle box to hold it all in (seriously, i recommend a medium sized fishing tackle box with the trays that terrace when you open it)

disclaimer: this list assumes you'll be doing a lot of your work by hand, at least in the early stages of the program. some schools may promote a process that relies heavily on the computer.

Feb 12, 09 11:57 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Interestingly, I also worked in an art store before grad school, bought all the things I thought I would need and despite my discount wasted a shit ton of money. I used my drafting brush to dust my keyboard, sold my inking pens for 50% of what I paid even though they were brand new, luckily didn't buy any mylar. Used my Mayline and vellum just because I had paid for it. So like Aaron said, that list assumes a lot of hand work. Check with the school when time gets closer. Some provide a list, but sometimes you don't get it until you start. We got one for visual studies and people bought a lot of crap they never used. It was a transition year for the program, so it was an old list for a new curriculum. I did some hand drawing just for 'fun' and had some pens and markers for sketching, but try to avoid the art store discount buying spree. You may almost be better off starting out with the stuff you know you will need, some sketchbooks, basic pens, markers and pencils that you like to use, basic modeling supplies etc, then buy as needed later, unless you KNOW you will need some big ticket items (Mayline, Vyco, inking pens, paints). I think Pearl and Utrecht both have student discounts as well. I have so much lead, and erasers, and just tons of stuff left over. It's insane. In all honesty, the stuff that I got from career discovery was pretty much all i need in grad school. I did a few hand drawings so I bought a nicer adjustable triangle...that's about it.

Feb 12, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

if you live anywhere near an architecture school, try to find out when their studios end and then go scavenge shortly after their desk clean-out day. many graduating students will have heaps of good stuff they don't want anymore - drawing boards, maylines, rulers, triangles, model supplies, you name it - and will be more than happy to have someone else cart it away for them. you can probably find or buy very cheaply pretty much everything you need but pens/pencils/blades from departing students. i've gotten almost all of my model supplies for free this way, and only had to spring for specialty items that are tougher to come by in the trash bin.

otherwise, i'd second the previous cautions against going on a major supply-buying spree before you start school - you won't really know what you need until you get there. if you're really anxious to get some stuff and start trying it out, you can always try to get in touch with some current students and ask them about what kinds of assignments you'll do in your first year and what supplies you'll likely use. there is enormous variation in supply needs school-to-school and even year-to-year; certain studios will also have highly specific requirements of representation.

i've also found that while many schools or courses provide a supply list in the first week, that list is often much more extensive than necessary and will inevitably include some stuff you'll never use. i've found it more economical to acquire new tools and supplies as i've needed them instead of buying them all in advance, and a lot of these materials and supplies can be readily borrowed from classmates if just for one-time use.

Feb 12, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

the drafting supplies will make for some nice artifacts on your desktop while you're working strictly in rhino and cad. just buy stacks and stacks of museum board and chip board.

Feb 12, 09 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

a hot press crescent board, roll trace paper, drafting tape, architects scale, wood clinched pencils, cork ruler, and a strathmore sketchbook

that's all you need in the beginning. don't waste your dough until you know. i saved a lot of coin this semester by getting only supplies i needed after each studio.

of course, you can spend a lot of money on hot, expensive drafting boards and pens. that will for sure make you a badass designer. . .. ... ..... ........ ............. ..................... ..................................

Feb 12, 09 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

the most powerful computer you can afford...fast processing speed with the ability to upgrade, and a fast HD with the ability to upgrade...

and a pencil sharpener

Feb 12, 09 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I also want to add that most of the stuff I bought because I got a list from the previous year's class as well as a list from the Visual Studies teacher. So I was informed that all that crap I bought was suggested. I gave some stuff to my sister after I graduated as she is an artist and found my Prismacolors useful. Thinking back, I guess I didn't get too hosed. Really just the Mayline and the pens (which I sold). The rest of the stuff eventually got used up over 3 years. I have tons of lead left.

Feb 13, 09 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Los Angeles

I remember when I started my first year in B.Arch, they gave us a list of items that amounted to over 250 dollars. The first thing I did (and what you should do) was I spoke to the upper years (mainly the 2nd years), and found out which supplies they used the most and the ones they used the least or even not at all during their first year. I ended up spending 40 dollars.

What I always have at my studio table are:

Architects Scale
Tracing Paper.
Graph Paper
Spray mount
Tacky Glue (sobo)
Syringe (to put your glue in and make very clean connections with the glue and material)
HB drawing pencil.
Color Pencils
Aluminum 30/60 and 45/45 triangle.
Aluminum straight edge with the cork or rubber crap in the back.
Single ply Chip Board and museum board.

Feb 15, 09 5:56 am  · 
 · 
allenmd07

I know this is an old thread, but how much should I plan on spending per month for studio supplies such as model making materials, printing etc.

Mar 14, 14 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
C. Watts

I would think it depends on where you go.  The more digital related schools may not make as many models (maybe only for mid-term and finals).  However, I have heard that if you attend sci-arc you spend a fortune on supplies.  I had a professor who went there for Grad. and took out loans to cover all of his material purchases.  I think he may still be paying off those loans.... 

PLus, some schools may pay for 3-D printing, while others make you pay for it.

Mar 14, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
allenmd07

I am most likely going to UVa, I know they are a very craft based program so I will be making models frequently. I didn't know if anyone could share their typical monthly studio expenses just to give me an idea.

Mar 14, 14 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

Materials for your process work are cheap(er) Use brown or grey card where you can, foam board is much more pricey, but sometimes you need the thickness. Luckily process models don't have to be 'pretty' in a material sense, and besides half the time your tutor starts ripping bits and pieces off them as you're discussing your work anyway. I was heavy into the model making for process and I probably went through 3 to 6 A0s of whatever sheet material I was modelling in per week, but it also depends what scale you're working at. The biggest expense was always the final presentation model, whether it's using balsa wood or laser cutting everything, etc it adds up. 

In first year I probably spent £500 for the year. In my last year I probably spent around £1200 or more, but I also made more models, more presentation models and used nicer materials and did A LOT of laser cutting, which we had to pay for at school. We did have a school shop, which sold materials at a better price than the art shops around town, and printing on the schools plotters was much cheaper than taking your printing to a print shop. But I'd imagine these would vary wildly depending on your school.

Mar 14, 14 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

@allenmd07: I also got accepted to UVA and most likely going. Which path did you get accepted to? Also, if you do not mind me asking. What other schools did you apply too?

Mar 15, 14 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
allenmd07

@cmvander

Path 3 

Applied to NCSU, UNCC, V-Tech

I'm from NC so all regional schools

Mar 17, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 
gbear
You will need a computer screen too for your studio space, preferably around 24" or more. It get old to work on your laptop after a while. Trust me.
Mar 17, 14 10:35 am  · 
 · 
designer_jawn

@allenmd07: 

I got accepted to the 2.5 Path. I am from Florida but I currently finishing my final year in Philadelphia. 

Right now, I am just looking at off campus housing for UVA to see how much my cost of living there will be. 

Mar 17, 14 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: