Archinect
anchor

brick ledge question

JsBach

I see lots of detail drawings where a steel angle brick ledge is used. The thickness is 3/8" and is the same size as a mortar joint and essentially keeps the lines of mortar even, taking the place of the mortar joint above the door/window. The brick is laid right on the angle with no mortar. What holds the first couple of courses in place till you get up to a row with a brick tie. It just looks very unstable during the process. Is there something that holds this in place till the mortar sets?

Nov 1, 13 11:01 pm
marisco

The weight of the brick, assuming your ledge is wide enough. Your mason should be able to clarify. 

Nov 2, 13 11:08 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

you have brick ties.  they're like wire things that screw into the substrate and embed in the mortar (a row or 2 up).  the angle holds them up from forces pulling down, the brick ties prevent them from tipping over.

Nov 2, 13 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

The bricks get mortared together, steel, brick, mortar next brick, mortar. The idea is that the mortar actually holds that horizontal force, the steel holds the vertical. essentially the bricks together act as a system like a sheet of bricks. The tie is secondary structural reinforcement and actually if well constructed takes no force. That's how the ties can be spread out, not @ every brick. To get it started they usually lay two rows of brick past the lintel. Then as the first course is laid down the second course is laid almost at the same time and they lock into the edge of previous courses to the side of the lintel, ties the small bit of brick not tied back into the wall into a much larger sheet that is much more stable. 

Nov 2, 13 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
JsBach

Thanks guys, I was just concerned that the brick might move around on that first course, but if just the weight of the brick and the mortar on the sides is enough, great. I've used this detail for years, but never have seen a mason actually lay that first. I've also seen cases where they do have a mortar joint.

I just was worried since the first row of ties is usually higher than the flashing (12" up or so) that it would be unstable.  Can you put that put that first row of ties through the flashing? It seems that would be a place for water to get through.

I have seen situations where that ledge is 40' long, sounds like it would be a disaster if someone knocked the wall over before you got up to that first tie.

Nov 2, 13 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Yeah the mortar on the side helps too. Definitely wouldn't want the tie through flashing. And usually no mortar on the steel because you want to allow water to weep out easily. I imagine if it was a concern the mason might scab on temporary bracing. 

Nov 2, 13 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

silicone

works wonders

ask pamala andeson

Nov 2, 13 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Sometimes...the brick ledge is 1/2" thick....oh no!!
Nov 2, 13 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: