Archinect
anchor

Starting my Journey to an M.Arch I

drewdoom

Okay long story short: I was really interested in architecture, but my dad, a landscape architect, was very discouraging about the job market. So I tried a few other majors but have come to realize I really want to do architecture. I have been in school 4 years now and switched schools this year so I think the M.Arch I is my best option. I will be graduating in May 2015 from Arizona State with a BIS (Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies) with concentrations in Architecture Studies and Political Science. I will have a 3.6ish GPA between all my schools.

I'm slightly concerned about how I will be able to get into a decent M.Arch I program because I am new to ASU and have no idea who I will get letters of rec from. I have a little time, so I will work on that. But my portfolio also troubles me. I have done photography for a long time and have some pretty solid work I can include. I also am a decent drawer and have some good graffiti art and still life kinds of stuff. But other than that, I have no idea what else I can come up with. Should I be trying to work on some sculptures or other stuff in my free time now to put into a portfolio? I also haven't taken the GRE yet, but I am not too worried because I'm usually pretty good at tests like that so I'll study up and do my best.

I am trying to sort out which schools I want to apply to and how many of them I should apply to. My dream school is the University of Oregon. My dad went there and I have visited it many times, seeing the studios and everything. I just love the feel of the campus, the location, everything about it really. I am looking for a school that focuses in sustainable structures and practical experience. I am not planning on working for a starchitect or anything, but rather a smaller, more local residential kind of gig. So yeah.

I have been looking at: UOregon, UWashington, ASU, UTexas at Austin, UNewMexico, and a few others. I have been finding it hard to get information about what the programs are really like at these schools. But I'm not really looking for ivy league or anything insanely competitive. I want to just explore my creative side and learn the skills I need to get a job. I also am looking mostly on the west coast or southwest US (Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, Texas).

My questions:

1) Any suggestions for other programs? How many should I apply to?

2) What can I do to make my application/portfolio stronger? I really want to get into Oregon...

Oct 25, 13 1:19 am
gruen
You will be fine. Just get the best recs that you can and explain in your essay.
Oct 25, 13 10:09 am  · 
 · 
drewdoom

You mean explain that I switched schools?

Oct 25, 13 11:28 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Yes, explain why you did what you did. And make it sound good. And get recs from profs at your new school or your old one, whichever will give you the best ones. 

Oct 25, 13 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
drewdoom

Probably my new one, because I switched around majors too much at my old one to really get to know any of the teachers. I was also wondering how many schools I should apply to... since I know that Oregon is my dream school, should the rest of the schools be schools with similar or higher acceptance rates?

Which other programs are similar to Oregon in their focus on sustainability and practical experience, etc?

Oct 25, 13 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
drewdoom

Are there any good sources to read up on what the various architecture programs are like?

Oct 26, 13 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Who's paying for this... I'd just convince my dad that it makes more sense to invest in that sick new M3 that is out.... yet boi, that's her.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2009/07/16/23/08/2009-bmw-sedan-pic-46090.jpeg

Oct 26, 13 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
drewdoom

I'm paying for this mostly haha. It is worth it to me. It is something I want to do.

Oct 26, 13 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
drewdoom

^^ That car is sick though.

Oct 26, 13 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
drewdoom

Okay, so I made my list of schools. I have:

Arizona State University

Iowa State University

Rice University

Texas A&M University

University of Houston

University of New Mexico

University of Oregon

University of Texas at Austin

Is this a good coverage of acceptance rates? I really am aiming for Oregon or Texas, but would settle on Arizona or New Mexico if I have the option and there was significant money savings. Are there any other schools in Texas that have programs really worth considering? I didn't get a good impression of Texas Tech from what I've heard about it from family and reviews I've read...

**I really just don't have a good idea of how competitive I am for admission to some of these places =/

Oct 27, 13 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
BrieJones

Hi drewdoom,

I am kind of in the same situation as you. I just graduated from Arizona State with a BA in Design Studies. I transferred to the ASU architecture program my junior year but unfortunately was put into first year architecture. Long story short, I put up with it for about a semester and eventually got impatient and decided I didn't want to be in undergrad ANOTHER 4 years. Design Studies was basically my fast track out of undergrad and into an M.Arch program. 

I am in the process of applying right now, in fact. I just submitted my apps to UCLA and Berkeley. Am about to submit to UW, Cal Poly Pomona, and ASU. I was really worried that I wouldn't be too competitive compared to these interior design, industrial design, engineering grads. Honestly, you'll never get in unless you TRY. Who cares who you are going up against, in the end you never know how the admission committee thinks and EXACTLY what they are looking for. 

My advice is to plan ahead for the GRE and give yourself enough time to take it twice (I learned the hard way). Spend MOST if not ALL of your time on your portfolio. Show creativity, show passion. They want to see how you think and develop your ideas. Have family, professors, ANYONE critique your portfolio. 

As for letters of rec, I understand your situation. I had only been at ASU for two years and was scrambling to get these letters together. However, I reached out to a couple of professors whose classes I did really well in and they were more than happy to write one for me. One was a study abroad professor so that helped get a more personal recommendation. I also have a letter of rec from the president of the firm I currently work for. People are more willing that you think to help out. 

I hope this gives a little insight. Just felt compelled to respond because I love seeing a fellow sun devil on here :) 

Jan 10, 14 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
observant

If you're still here, and your portfolio and recommendations are good, you'll get into almost all of them.  The only one on that list in a post other than the OP that might be tough would be Rice, and maybe even UT-Austin.  You don't have to feel guilty about a 3.6 GPA, given that your work has caused you to amass that sort of GPA.  You've probably studied a lot of different things if you changed majors 4 times, and that makes you fairly well-rounded.  Some people either rigidly don't change majors or they drop out and never go back, so kudos to you for your tenacity.

I don't think U of O-Eugene will be that tough for you, especially if aligned with an area they emphasize.  Of the less stomped on schools in terms of applicants versus spaces, I'd consider UNM and your ASU if the others don't work out, but I think one of your top choices will come through.

This thread has been slightly inactive.

Jan 10, 14 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

you must have a rich daddy in order to be able to afford to experiment with other majors. 

Jan 13, 14 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
drewdoom

I know this is like, super late response on my old thread here... but yeah I paid for half of my tuition myself and pay for all my food and living expenses. School has always been important to me and I wouldn't accept dropping out haha. I am like, submitting applications how and I fear that my weakest point is honestly my portfolio. I have good letters of rec from professors in my major (economics) and my GPA is a fancy 3.78. I got 160V/159Q on the GRE the first time and didn't retake it. So I think if anything, my portfolio is going to hold me back. But I'm going to try.

Dec 18, 14 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Post some work examples. Many here give good criticism.

Dec 19, 14 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

You started this conversation last year. You knew what was lacking or weak and had suggestions and time to fix it. Did you not improve on the portfolio or is it merely the insecurity everyone has when their future is in the hands of someone else?

Dec 19, 14 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: