Archinect
anchor

Architectural Thesis topic selection

Oct 14 '13 8 Last Comment
Sreya
Oct 14, 13 10:49 pm

Hello everyone...

I have been asked to present the topics for my fifth year thesis. 

So, I have been thinking about what topics interest me the most. And here goes...

Manipulating the human psychology with architecture, especially through sound, light, texture, etc.I think that the studies on the architectural marvels of ancient India, Greece, Rome, etc. could help me on this.

However, I am not sure if this is an effective topic or what kind of design proposal should I apply this research on.

Moreover, I have always wanted to work on something that makes a remarkable change in the society.

Does a thesis on my intended topic have a scope of contributing to that??

Pls help me....... All suggestions and crits are welcome.

Thank you in advance...  :)

Roshi
Oct 14, 13 11:20 pm

It does - infact that is something I am focusing on in my work, and was a big interest of mine in my undergrad (and will most likely be involved in my master thesis)

I perceive architecture as a facilitator of "experience" both for the individual and the collective. Here is a little excerpt from an essay I wrote:

"Experiencing architecture entails various dynamics. Experience can be sensory or emotional; it can constitute amusement, satisfaction, indifference or displeasure. Translating such elements into architecture requires the understanding of the human response to space and a design’s potency to induce this response."

Now for your second part, which is also part of this particular essay:

"This premise also begs investigating architecture’s greater influence on society – whether good infrastructure design promotes prosperity economically and, more importantly, psychologically."

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to use my views, I think its somewhere up your alley.

gruen
Oct 15, 13 8:55 am

I think, Miles, we also need some way of banning these "promotional pens" type of postings. Is this thing not moderated?

Sreya
Oct 16, 13 12:44 pm

@ Roshi: Thank u very much. 

ollin
Oct 16, 13 3:07 pm

That could be really interesting. I just went to the James Turrell exhibit at LACMA a few weeks ago, and that was really inspiring. Im also reading that book Corrections and Collections which is sort of depressing so far but good. Who knows where your research will take you but it seems like a good topic with lots of possibilities.

Sreya
Oct 16, 13 10:35 pm

@ollin: grateful for ur valuable input. I must say that ur comment has also got me rethinking on another interest of mine... architecture and crime (both at a building level and at an urban level). 

Dev AmbardekarDev Ambardekar
Oct 17, 13 5:40 am

@Sreya, now that you mention architecture and crime, you should look into this community housing project called Pruitt-Igoe in St.Louis.
It deals with how psychology plays an important role in the crime rate of a neighborhood and also how low cost housing can prove to become a social hazard if not handled thoughtfully. 

The Pruitt-Igoe project was designed by a prominent architect back in the day and the entire project was demolished in just twenty years.
It's something that makes you want to stop and think about how it might have been back then. There's a documentary about the project. You should try watching it. It's sensational. 

natematt
Oct 17, 13 10:52 am

^ the so-called "end of modernism"

So we are talking about phenomenology here...

I always appreciate when students do projects on experience that are based in practical application. I am very skeptical of the atmospheric and installation based 'architecture' projects I've seen in recent years.

yEAh
Oct 19, 13 8:20 am

@Roshi: We have a similar topic! I also investigated about Architecture appealing to the 5 senses, how it affects the users. I focused heavily on "Holistic Architecture".

Anyway, your topic is something you should really like or must be inclined to it. You will read a lot of stuff about your topic so I think your preference of the subject comes first. Balance how your interests can contribute to the Architectural society by doing a more specific study on an unexplored area of interest. I believe it's better that we ought to explore areas which doesn't have a lot of published studies yet> : )

• ×Search in:

Please wait... loading
Please wait... loading